Thoughts on incorporating darkshrines into the main game.

Many people would like to see darkshrines incorporated into the main game because, let's face it, darkshrines are bloody fun.
A fair number of people are against this because they're very powerful and relatively easy to control for best outcomes, thus trivializing the game.

possible ways to incorporate darkshrines.

1. Replacing all regular shrines as is done in the darkshrine leagues would be rough on new players and too easy to game for best outcomes for old players. Also we'd lose out on the regular shrines.

2. Adding darkshrines to the list of possible shrines would be underwhelming. An echoing shrine is neat when it happens, a sole darkshrine would be maybe neat, but is more likely to feel like a lame gimmick.

What i feel may work is:
3. Darkshrine as a hideout item:
Essentially you feed items to your shrine in your hideout and the next time you use zana's map device it triggers the darkshrines. This in itself would be too powerful and too easy to game, however if each item sacrificed to the shrine is given a 10% chance of working (perhaps a much higher chance for unidentified items)it gets much more interesting and can provide a more challenging experience.
Spawning all the darkshrine affects at once when you enter the map probably wouldn't work out very well, but it wouldn't be too difficult to spawn the shrines throughout the map pre-loaded with their effect so they trigger as soon as you touch them (like normal shrines). They stay just as powerful, but with added rng they're harder to game (while it may be worthwhile to craft 1 or 2 rares for a darkshrine effect, crafting 10x that amount is unlikely) and as a consequence become more challenging and deadly.

TLDR:Make a darkshrine for hideout that triggers in your next map with only 10% chance to work for each rare sacrificed.

What do you think? Could this work? Did i miss something?
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I really like this idea

I would like to see darkshrines in the main game as they are tons of fun and add a interesting layer to itemization.

However as many of us have stated before they are also game breaking ( force spawning cart boxes is a great eg. of this )

Seems to me like you have a good idea hear , perhaps with even more RNG layered in .

Also GGG dose not nesasarly have to implement them at the end of this ladder. Perhaps they can revisit them in a more balanced way in the future.

The big reason why i like dark shrines is incresed itemization they give us, makes looting much more interesting and THAT is what i would like to see put into the game , sacing a bunch of items in hideout sounds like a great way to go about it to me , this way you could focous farm darkshrine effects for maps you want .

would have to be balanced carfully however .

I can't speak for others but my map pool is extremly healthy and iv made more 20/20 gems in this 1 mounth than i normaly do in a 4 mounth .

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
At this point you may as well add them to standard as I have little doubt that hopes, 20 quality gems and such are going to noosedive in value just from all the tabs for of them that are going to enter standard from the league anyways. They already broke the game.
"
Xavqwyrus wrote:

What do you think? Could this work? Did i miss something?

Yes. They're going to be added to the main game, you will be able to meet them in Ascendancy's Labirynths (you can see one in the trailer). They will grant random effect, if I remember correctly. If I remember correctly, it will be the same for everyone as the layout per day will be the same for everyone but I may be wrong.

Probably not something most of us hoped for, but still better than nothing;)
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
I like the OPs idea on a zana map device

we could streamline the item sacrifice by making the map device grid 4x4 instead of 2x2, to accommodate a rare item.
I need more purple titles
+1 to the shrine to RNGesus in the hideouts.

That being said, it's hard to say how to properly balance darkshrines (and GGG is using them in the Lord's Laberynth already).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
+1 to adding Darkshrines that can ONLY utilize unid'd items.
Im really hoping darkshrines just replace the usual shrines in the game. Chris designed them for the 5 week temp leagues as a way of just adding something fun but didnt really put too much time into balancing them so were they added, GGG would have the time to balance some of the mods and hopefully even add new stuff, the ability to sacrifice uniques for instance.

Also an added bonus of darkshrines is the fact that they break up the xp grind, especially in the dried lake. Its so much fun spawning a group of warbands and then having to focus to beat them and hopefully get some sweet loot.

Really hope we see darkshrines in all coming leagues and also in std sc and hc
darkshrine as an idea was good but alowing easy acces to strong results was horrible.

keep them on the normal game but with 2 fundamental changes

first is making all items mods spawn any effect

second is to give all effects a raririty and make the odds of spawning that rarity based on the quality of the item used, for instance sacrificing an item with low tier mods will give a 70% for low tier effects, 25% for mid tier effects and 5% for elite tier effects. in the other hand using an item with several t1/t2 mods will give a 70% for elite effect, 25% mid tier effects and 5% for low tier effects.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Dec 2, 2015, 8:29:01 AM
I can't see why not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info