I am very dissapointed

Hi,

I just have to get something off of my chest, even if it does not stir the audience that I want to express my frustration about.

Having picked up this game and played for a couple of weeks now, something really irks me about people in general that genuinely deeply saddens me.

When I ask the global chat channels for a pricecheck on an item, people will not budge to throw me a ballpark figure or judge the item for what it might be worth. And in some way - that's completely fine.

However if I link the exact same item and throw the question in there wether I can get xx amount of currency for it, people will crawl out of the woodworks everywhere almost competing with each other to be the first person to laugh at me, let me know how wrong I am or how my item is terrible and should just be vendored.

The conclusion is that people will not step forward in an act of kindness, but for the exact same effort would rather make sure you feel bad about yourself.

I'm a grown woman, I can handle anyone telling me something is worthless if I pricecheck it with an audience - but it's silence after the question; yet the dramatic degrading when I include my own estimate that really annoys me.

Is it not the same effort to come forward with an answer when someone is looking for some help?

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
http://poe.trade/

is all you need.

it's a great tool to get a price-check. you need some time to learn how it works.
You will have people that troll you and some that will actually help you out. It's just the way it is. Especially in global chat. For price checks I would recommend using poe trade sites and looking for similar stats/items that are listed there. It generally gives you a sense of what people are asking and what good items are and what they are worth. Saves you the hassle of dealing with global chat.
Hi Witchfavorit,

I do use poe.trade as much as I can to avoid the unpleasant interaction I've had so far but sometimes I pick up items that seem really good to me and I can't find anything close to it on the website - or there are some similar items with a drastically different suffix or affix that might change it's value completely and I start questioning my own item

I'm still relatively new to the game and I'm unable to make the distinction between a 1-chaos piece of jewellery, and an 8-exalt piece of jewellery.

The ring I'm using on my ranger was actually in my Chaos recipe stash tab, that I pulled out to use as a placeholder - then when someone asked me what rings I was using, upon inspection after my link; let me know I could easily get 6 exalted orbs for it - Poe.trade did not give me any results found when looking for something similar *after* I was already told it's that good
well its the internet, some people will always be looking down to others which have less knowledge or wealth in their fantasy world. They
Have to be quite miserable to need that. And things like big public chats attract those people...
As i newbye myself, i recommend getting used to poe trade.
Its very hard to find something valuable in standard league, even finding something sellable can be difficult. Even if u want to continue in std/hc i would recommend starting in leagues, its possible to make some good money there to boost your std character after the league ends.
Personally, I stay out of general and trade chat. The community here on the website is pretty good. The online community at large - whether it be in-game, on YouTube or just anywhere that people are anonymous - tends to use their anonymity as a chance to bludgeon others for not knowing something simple that they once did not know. Unfortunately, most good people just stay silent in the face of idiocy. It's not exclusive to this game but really common all over the internet.

As Witchfavorite said, poe.trade is a good tool for price checks. If you set a buyout slightly lower than the average, your item may sell faster. In the standard league, items tend to be valued lower than in the temp leagues, even if the item is very good. Standard is flooded with good items from previous temp leagues and dead hardcore players. The constant flooding of items into Standard has earned the permanent league the nick-name (from hardcore players mostly) of dumpster league.
Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two.
Global chat is only good at giving cancer, not answering questions or giving pc. Avoid it at all cost
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
the problem you are having is that global chat has been 2.5 years of this...

is this worth anything?

pc?

is this good?

pc

is this worth anything?

is this good?

pc?

its endless, literally endless, and 99.99999999% of the items are just vendor trash, you last about 2 days of saying "vendor" "vendor" "vendor" "sry its not that great vendor" "its ok if you want to use it otherwise vendor" "vendor" "vendor".... before it just descends into "thats shit vendor it" "its shit" "no no one fucking uses that item and youre the 10th person to link a fucking shiversting in the last half an hour, vendor it"... and then you just give up and spend the next 2 years hating global chat because its just endless "price check my terrible item".

Its not that people are not nice, helpful people, its not that youre doing anything wrong by asking for advice youre doing exactly what most people in that situation would do its just one of those things where peoples patience for price checks is just long, long gone in global for the most. People have cracked years ago and resorted to just making jokes and memes to try and find some kind of happy place when they see the 5th redbeak price checked that day.

As you may have noticed, "pc?" will often result in nothing or carnage while being more conversational can actually work, "would anyone even use something like this?" may get a response from a guy who just doesnt have the heart to keep saying "vendor it" every minute to the endless stream of price checks. Another thing is to find a niche global channel, is there anyone in global 3? 5? Sometimes less people in a channel means those in there are more likely to answer an item question like that because youre the only person whos asked in the last 20 minutes and once every 20 minutes people can deal with answering a question seriously. You can also keep up and take part in those sort of globals more, where ones that are going 100mph everyone sort of gets lost in the melee. If you have been in a channel for a while and taking part in convos with people then they will probably be more willing to give you the time of day.

Price checks, its a bit like freebee gears, some people will give throw away gear to anyone. Lots dont though, I never give away items to total strangers. Too often people have no appreciation of the value or use of the item, maybe they dont really give a shit about the game etc. If I start to know someone, even if its just a few text convos in game or whatever, and I can see they have a bit of passion for the game, that they care then I would give them any throw away items I had to spare to help them out. If youre in my guild and I find a decent item for you early league usually its yours, I dont care that its day 2 and i could get 10 chaos for it in trade. I think Im a pretty giving person in this game, but if all I know of a guy is 1 line in global chat "has anyone got any leveling gear I can have?" then no, fuck that guy, Im not giving him anything, some self serving spam begging in global is not going to endear me to someone. But if the guy has been talking to me for a little on global and it becomes apparent I can give him a hand then sure, just a little bit of human contact and interaction can go a long way in this game. Same goes for trading, haggling etc, if someone is up front and pleasant Im more likely to discount an item for them, to help them with their build, to do some free master crafts on my benches, whatever the favour is.

In short, global chat is pure cancer. Avoid it at any price.
"
Phoebelicious wrote:
Is it not the same effort to come forward with an answer when someone is looking for some help?

PoE is a game of knowledge. The kind of players that you are talking about probably lack the game knowledge required to provide you with useful information. It takes a lot less effort to thoughtlessly laugh at you than to thoughtfully analyze an item and give a valid price check.

I understand your disappointment but I hope you don't let these experiences ruin the game for you. For the most part, we have an amazing community! If it makes you feel any better, I would have taken the time to give you a price check on your item if I was confident I could :).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info