Defense Choices, SO HARD TO CHOOSE

"
skuadak wrote:
"
gtrans wrote:
"
skuadak wrote:
I dare to not agree about LC and IR. I have proofs on tape that it works pretty well for my fragile marauder (wearing abyssus on top of that) so ranger should be even more safe in this combo. Daresso is last thing I'd reccomend, I don't like this chest, so I may be biased here, tho.

What exactly do you not like about the chest?

It's akwardly defensive and doesn't fit my imagination of what ranger should represent herself. Suits ranger as saddle suits cow imo.

I said that its my personal opinion only.

You are the first person that I know who thinks that way. You can never be too defensive in a game like PoE. The build won't lack any damage so I don't see why we shouldn't emphasize on eliminating those one-shot scenarios.

The chest roughly gives 1.6k armor if we go IR, has a decent life roll and provides almost permanent endurance charges. Onslaught is just a bonus that I don't even take into consideration.

But for the sake of argument, what would you see fit on a crit la ranger?
"
gtrans wrote:
You are the first person that I know who thinks that way. You can never be too defensive in a game like PoE. The build won't lack any damage so I don't see why we shouldn't emphasize on eliminating those one-shot scenarios.

The chest roughly gives 1.6k armor if we go IR, has a decent life roll and provides almost permanent endurance charges. Onslaught is just a bonus that I don't even take into consideration.

But for the sake of argument, what would you see fit on a crit la ranger?

I wouldn't change my def setup from phys ranger(s) at all. So evasion (good rare chest is bis imo), both acrobatics ofc and Arctic Armor. I'd add Atziri Promise or better ToH (if I had currency for it). If its not clear yet- I have 0 experience with HC. all I do is adjusted to SC.

Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Nov 28, 2015, 3:34:39 AM
"
XCodesLIVE wrote:
"
gtrans wrote:
Armor has diminishing return. That 5k-10k extra armor will change absolutely nothing when faced with a 4000 hit. (kole with extra damage mod on shocking ground for example).

Do you not see how absurd this combination is? You not only have to fight Kole in a map with extra damage, but you also have to stand in shocking ground while fighting Kole in a map with extra damage.

This is an example of a magnitude of damage that you're better off simply not thinking about when considering physical damage reduction from armor, because if you consistently die to is then you're playing wrong.

"
gtrans wrote:
LC will completely redirect 30%-40% of that damage then that 20k armor will reduce the remaining damage or vice versa
Even in this absurd scenario, LC reduces the hit to ~2120 damage hit (slightly more or less, depending on whether the coil is legacy or not), while the armor chest reduces it to 2480. If we add 5 Endurance charges, LC reduces the hit to about 1600, while the armor chest reduces it to about 1680.

Even against a 4k damage hit, this armor that changes "absolutely nothing" is almost on-par with an LC, and works significantly better with the various sources of "additional physical damage reduction" available in the game. Against the vast majority of damage you'll take, it will out-perform Lightning Coil significantly.

The lower the damage is the much more useful your armor becomes. Redirecting 40% of the initial hit will make it exponentially easier for you to mitigate the remaining damage.

Talking of absurdity, how much will that chest that you keep blabbering about will cost? An LC is a few chaos. And when exactly did I say I wanted to use LC with IR? If I wanted to use LC I wouldn't go IR. I am talking about Daresso's Defiance and IR. Instead of going evasion and hope that entropy is by your side, you just take damage but in very small amount due to armor and endurance charges. Lastly, I never heard of an aura that could give you a flat 2.6k armor.
Last edited by gtrans on Nov 28, 2015, 3:56:26 AM
"
gtrans wrote:
Ok here I have two defensive options that I can choose from. I am playing a ranged Crit LA build.

Hyrri's Bite with Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics and stacking evasion.

OR

Daresso's Defiance with Iron Reflexes stacking armor.

The first option: 50% Dodge 40% Spell Dodge, lots of evasion with Entropy mechanism (unreliable)

The second option: 3 Endurance Charges with occasional Onslaught, lots of armor with physical damage reduction (reliable for small hits) life roll, endurage charges also provide temporary elemental resistances and it also help with blood rage's degen.

I tried Daresso's Defiance with IR (on a melee though), it didn't work that well, cause every stray monkey stone or sand crab pellet erases all your charges and cause it's a pain to get charges in some boss fights. In my experience this chest is much better with hybrid Ev/Ar char, you get hit less often, so usually you have charges and onslaught running at the same time. That said, I would probably go with Hyrri's Ire (Bite is a quiver :)), cause it's way easier (items/passives etc.) to stack evasion + crit, then to stack armor + crit.

PS. I wouldn't really go IR on a char without some form of block, otherwise those ele attacks/chaos attacks will ruin your day.
Sorry OP I just got what's the point of the tread. I didn't have my best biorythm yesterday appareantly.

It's bit rude but I will answer you with questions...

-How come my ranger have shitload of options and your just these 2? One worse than another on top of that?

-Why every option force you to use uniqe chest? Why these particular chests?

-Also, HC or SC?

Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Nov 28, 2015, 5:37:31 AM
PaperRat is right. With Daresso you don't want to be hit because you don't want to lose your endurance charges. So IR is an absolute no go. Daresso is decent with melee but it's still miles behind Coil, from my experience with 2 shadow melee dagguers using both armors.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
XCodesLIVE wrote:
"
gtrans wrote:
Armor has diminishing return. That 5k-10k extra armor will change absolutely nothing when faced with a 4000 hit. (kole with extra damage mod on shocking ground for example).

Do you not see how absurd this combination is? You not only have to fight Kole in a map with extra damage, but you also have to stand in shocking ground while fighting Kole in a map with extra damage.

This is an example of a magnitude of damage that you're better off simply not thinking about when considering physical damage reduction from armor, because if you consistently die to is then you're playing wrong.

"
gtrans wrote:
LC will completely redirect 30%-40% of that damage then that 20k armor will reduce the remaining damage or vice versa
Even in this absurd scenario, LC reduces the hit to ~2120 damage hit (slightly more or less, depending on whether the coil is legacy or not), while the armor chest reduces it to 2480. If we add 5 Endurance charges, LC reduces the hit to about 1600, while the armor chest reduces it to about 1680.

Even against a 4k damage hit, this armor that changes "absolutely nothing" is almost on-par with an LC, and works significantly better with the various sources of "additional physical damage reduction" available in the game. Against the vast majority of damage you'll take, it will out-perform Lightning Coil significantly.

theres things youre not taking into account though. As gtrans is saying, armour scales better against smaller hits. The damage converted to lightning happens before armour, so you are not looking at the total armour the coil character has after the coil has done its thing and how much damage that is mitigating on top compared to what that extra armour is doing to the armour chest calculation where its simply additive in a diminishing returns calculation. Not only is the coil more effective on its own, its 600 armour + all your other armour is made hugely more effective by removing a large chunk of the damage before its calculated. The armour chest is making the armour on your other slots less effective because armour has diminishing returns where the more you stack, the less you are getting per armour point.
this discussion is very lightening,...

now i know why my IR mara cycloner couldn't stand VS orchard or jungle valley boss..

so, for TLDR,
its better to wear LC if i got IR nodes, and DD shouldn't be paired with IR nodes, right.?

gotta write that down to my book..

edited:

as for armor char, if i take IR, how many armor points do you consider it's enough.?
and for the non IR char, how many armor points.? or percentage..
Last edited by onnymaru on Nov 28, 2015, 8:27:49 AM
"
gtrans wrote:
The lower the damage is the much more useful your armor becomes. Redirecting 40% of the initial hit will make it exponentially easier for you to mitigate the remaining damage.

Talking of absurdity, how much will that chest that you keep blabbering about will cost? An LC is a few chaos. And when exactly did I say I wanted to use LC with IR? If I wanted to use LC I wouldn't go IR. I am talking about Daresso's Defiance and IR. Instead of going evasion and hope that entropy is by your side, you just take damage but in very small amount due to armor and endurance charges. Lastly, I never heard of an aura that could give you a flat 2.6k armor.

If you say you wouldn't go IR with LC, then that's basically the entire point I was making about LC: Stacking Armor with LC is inefficient because, while your Armor reduces a larger proportion of physical damage, you're taking less physical damage that needs mitigating in the first place. There's basically no point whatsoever in getting more than 6k-10k armor with Lightning Coil. All the rest of your defense at that point should be going into Block and Evasion.

As for Daresso's and IR, the reason that doesn't work has been explained already. You basically don't get Endurance Charges with Daresso's and IR, which will greatly reduce the effectiveness of your armor.
I don't think Daresso + IR is a good idea. You are much better off keeping your EC's up constantly to increase the effectiveness of your armor, in my opinion.

Going IR also leaves you without a counter to elemental reflect, that might come into your decision depending on what you use for offense.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info