Question regarding weapon range and increased AoE effects on Cyclone

Here is the scenario which prompted me to ask this question: I was trying to calculate for which situations the Aoe implicit of the Coronal Maul (Maraketh 2h Mace, 6 base weapon range, implicit 6% increased radius) is better in terms of AoE than a 2H axe (7 base weapon range) for cyclone. I quickly came across a deciding issue: How many digits does the game hold internally for AoE? Does rounding happen? How does it happen, and at what digit if it does?

I'll showcase the basic numbers I've been using and I'd love it if someone from GGG corrected any mistaken assumptions I've made. I'm always assuming + Master of the Arena (+2 range) + Warlord's reach (+1 range).

Case 1: No Vagan Mods, no generic AoE on tree.

Axe: 10 range

Coronal Maul: 9 range

However, Coronal Maul has a 6% aoe implicit, and the Mace notable Bone Breaker has another 4%, bringing us up to 10%. Therefore, Coronal Maul now has 9*1.1 = 9.9 Range Cyclone.

Depending on if rounding happens or not, Axe is either not ahead at all or just very slightly.

Case 2: No Vagan Mods, 16% generic AoE on tree (amplify + 1 small node)

Axe: 10*1.16 = 11.6 range

Coronal Maul: 9*1.26 = 11.34 range (Maul will get 10% Aoe itself +16% on tree = 26%, hence the 1.26 factor. These mods are INCREASED, nor MORE)

If rounding doesn't happen, Axe is still slightly ahead. If it does, axe is 1 range ahead assuming the game rounds down as well as up. If both are rounded up, range is the same.

Case 3: Vagan +2 Mod, no generic AoE

Axe: 12 range

Coronal Maul: 11*1.1 = 12.1 range

Here is where things get interesting. If the game doesn't round , Maul is slightly ahead. If the game rounds up, Maul is ahead by 1. If the game rounds down, they are equal.

Case 4: Vagan +2 Mod, 16% generic AoE on tree from amplify cluster.

Axe: 12*1.16 = 13.92 range

Coronal Maul: 11*1.26 = 13.86 range

So if the game doesn't round, or rounds to one decimal and always up, Axe is only ever so slightly ahead. If it rounds to one decimal and rounds down or to integers, they are equal.

For the most part, we can see that a 2H maul is either slightly inferior or equivalent to the Axe for real cyclone build scenarios. Also, I haven't calculated what happens as you stack more and more increased AoE, for the simple reason that this will always benefit the axe since the increased modifier will have a better base to work off. Of course, this is for Cyclone only - the Maul implicit is also good for other things such as Ice crash/Sweep etc, but that's not what I'm looking at here.

So is what I've done totally wrong? GGG plis halp.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
Last edited by PrimordialDarkness on Nov 26, 2015, 8:26:22 AM
It works like (almost) everything else: (Base + Flat) * modifiers, round down.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 26, 2015, 8:30:22 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It works like (almost) everything else: (Base + Flat) * modifiers, round down.

I did not consider the possibility of always rounding down. So that is what happens? For example in case 1 the 9.9 becomes just 9?

Interesting, I'll re-check my numbers then. But basically in almost every case they'll round to the same number if this is how it works. Edit: Yeah, in case 1 then the maul will have 1 less range, but in all others they will both round down to the same number (11, 12, and 13 respectively). What is interesting is that if you add one 4% AoE node in case 4 (the last one on the amplify cluster) then both of them will go above 14 (14.4 and 14.2 I think?) so basically that 4% will act as a +1 range? That's weird. It's things like these that make the difference in PoE I guess. Edit 2: Same happens in case 2 for axe, if you take an extra 4% it goes to 12 but the maul only goes to 11.7 and would then round down, making axe superior.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
Last edited by PrimordialDarkness on Nov 26, 2015, 8:49:46 AM
Yeah, even 9.9 becomes just 9, meaning that 10% doesn't change a single thing! :) AoE increases are a very minmaxable modifier.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info