Lag Spike Fix and Troubleshooting method that worked for me

My path of exile game has been really dodgy the past couple months with lag spikes that would take my 30 ms latency to spikes of 100-300 every 30 seconds or so.

TLDR - The problem ended up being a razer keyboard service called "gamescannerservice" running in the background that still ran even when I disabled "Razer Synapse" in startup. This is on Windows 8.1. If you have lag spikes and a Razer Blackwidow keyboard, check out what the keyboard runs in the background.

Troubleshooting:
At first I thought this was a problem only with POE because in other games I did not notice any latency spikes, only in POE. But I realized when I used WinMTR to say connect to the Diablo servers, I had the same spike every 20 packets sent or so. So I concluded it was not the Path of Exile servers like I originally thought. Just POE lockstep makes lag spikes much more noticeable than say the diablo netcode would.

Second, I tried from both my office and my home computers. I am CEO of my company so I can do that... don't judge me for firing up POE at work. I still had the lag spike. Great. It is my computer. Either it is my wireless card or a service running in the background.

Monitoring traffic did not find me a culprit unfortunately so I ended up doing this the old fashioned way and opening up WinMTR and task manager and started disabling services one at a time. I disabled Geforce experience, a couple MSI(my laptop brand) services and finally the Razer keyboard services. After disabling each one I would restart WinMTR trace to POE servers and watch for the inevitable spike. Cutting out Razer did it for me and I finally showed no spike on WinMTR. Fired up POE and monitored via F1 to confirm.

So I know this is very isolated and everyone will have their own issues with latency whether from their service provider, router, or other, but I wanted to share my fix for my latency.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info