One-off class reset request in light of Ascendancy expansion (@GGG)

I am opposed to this. The ascedancy sub classes seem to be completely in line with each character's lore. Duelist is supposed to be the block character, Marauder the armour based 2 handed weilding behemoth, the ranger the evation bow sniper, the shadow the critter and trapper, the witch the summoner and spell caster, the templar the elemental damage dealer. This affects negatively MOSTLY(not entirely) people who have copied cookie cutter min-maxed builds, the ones that usually get nerfed. The majority who started the game usually picked a class in order to build around it's abilities and lore.

What i would like is 2 full respecs instead of one though. Usually the changes are drastic enough and the first time you try to redo your character you fail.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Poutsos wrote:
I am opposed to this. The ascedancy sub classes seem to be completely in line with each character's lore. Duelist is supposed to be the block character, Marauder the armour based 2 handed weilding behemoth, the ranger the evation bow sniper, the shadow the critter and trapper, the witch the summoner and spell caster, the templar the elemental damage dealer. This affects negatively MOSTLY(not entirely) people who have copied cookie cutter min-maxed builds, the ones that usually get nerfed. The majority who started the game usually picked a class in order to build around it's abilities and lore.

What i would like is 2 full respecs instead of one though. Usually the changes are drastic enough and the first time you try to redo your character you fail.

I wonder what you would be saying if your iconic CI flicker build did not receive ANY bonuses from ANY of the shadow ascendancy classes (I know it's probably going to be using Assassin, but imagine for a second that none of the three were good for it). I very much doubt you would be holding to the same stance. It's easy to oppose a notion when it doesn't impact you either negatively or positively.

Also, you obviously didn't bother reading through the thread. This doesn't affect people who copy cookie cutter builds, because those people will use whatever class is necessary for their build and will end up with multiple different high level classes. This affects people who, for some reason or another, have a great many MORE of one high level class than anything else, and can't shift their builds around because they don't have enough of the newly required classes. I think I gave an example for this somewhere on the 2nd or 3rd page.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
Last edited by PrimordialDarkness on Nov 26, 2015, 7:27:17 AM
"
"
Poutsos wrote:

I wonder what you would be saying if your iconic CI flicker build did not receive ANY bonuses from ANY of the shadow ascendancy classes (I know it's probably going to be using Assassin, but imagine for a second that none of the three were good for it). I very much doubt you would be holding to the same stance. It's easy to oppose a notion when it doesn't impact you either negatively or positively.

Also, you obviously didn't bother reading through the thread. This doesn't affect people who copy cookie cutter builds, because those people will use whatever class is necessary for their build and will end up with multiple different high level classes. This affects people who, for some reason or another, have a great many MORE of one high level class than anything else, and can't shift their builds around because they don't have enough of the newly required classes. I think I gave an example for this somewhere on the 2nd or 3rd page.

Well man, i have not been playing PoE for over one and half year and it is unlikely to get back to it, since i have donated most of my gear to friends, and CI flicker seems to be dead anyway with the changes to blood rage, leech and CI. However, if ascedency sub classes did not benefit that character, which was build exactly around the concept of Shadow as a character(crit based assasin), it would be a massive failure on GGG's part.

I remeber on 1.1, the flicker nuke was much better as a scion than a Shadow, and on 1.2(which i did not play, only rebuild the character for testing purposes) was MUCH MUCH better as a witch. Well, a dagger assasin build, being better as a witch or a scion is a failure in terms of balance, and i am glad i am seeing this fixed.

This also secures that no matter how the meta is shifted, or no matter how the skill tree changes to promote a certain class to be the best from min-max perspective(let's say currently The Witch as a CI character of ANY kind), the Shadow would still have the upper hand when it comes down to the things he is supposed to do(being a crit assasin or trapper). Of course that would not exclude the possibility of another crit based character to be overall better. EG. a max block character that uses crit might be better at reaching 100, and would be best played as a duelist, but when it comes to actually critting, the assasin would be better. That's IMO a good thing.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
Last edited by Poutsos on Nov 26, 2015, 7:41:44 AM
"
Poutsos wrote:

Well man, i have not been playing PoE for over one and half year and it is unlikely to get back to it, since i have donated most of my gear to friends, and CI flicker seems to be dead anyway with the changes to blood rage, leech and CI. However, if ascedency sub classes did not benefit that character, which was build exactly around the concept of Shadow as a character(crit based assasin), it would be a massive failure on GGG's part.

I remeber on 1.1, the flicker nuke was much better as a scion than a Shadow, and on 1.2(which i did not play, only rebuild the character for testing purposes) was MUCH MUCH better as a witch. Well, a dagger assasin build, being better as a witch or a scion is a failure in terms of balance, and i am glad i am seeing this fixed.

This also secures that no matter how the meta is shifted, or no matter how the skill tree changes to promote a certain class to be the best from min-max perspective(let's say currently The Witch as a CI character of ANY kind), the Shadow would still have the upper hand when it comes down to the things he is supposed to do(being a crit assasin or trapper). Of course that would not exclude the possibility of another crit based character to be overall better. EG. a max block character that uses crit might be better at reaching 100, and would be best played as a duelist, but when it comes to actually critting, the assasin would be better. That's IMO a good thing.

But we're not disagreeing on that. I think Ascendancy classes are amazing for the game, and I can see why people believe they should be class locked (even if I don't personally share that view and much prefer the idea of a completely open skilltree, I can see the appeal that it holds to people like you so I'm not arguing against that anymore).

What I am arguing against is punishing people who have been playing the game for 2 years or more and have been playing the same class throughout for one reason or another. A class reset is not going to affect anyone except those who have multiples of the same class at high levels and none of the others. The rest will either not play perm leagues (so are not affected), or will click "no" when prompted "do you want to change class" (and thus will not be affected other than the time it will take them to click "no"). And precisely because it has so little impact if you do not wish to switch is why I am saying that arguing AGAINST a one off class change just makes you a person who wants to see others punished for no reason.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
"
And I am very worried about my Righteous Fire Scion, as it is unlikely that Scion would get better tools for that build than Marauder or Templar would.

Why did you choose scion for a RF build in the first place? You wanted to be unique? You didn't want yours the same as everybody else's? So now you want to turn your unique build into a cookie cutter becaus eyou think it won't be optimal? Every class will have some ascencency that you will get some benefit from. I don't understand why people want to give up the reason they made a build with an off class. In the 2.5 years I've been playing, I've used every single class to make a bow build. Why? Why would I make a build using a class that couldn't get a single bow node? Would I want to switch all those classes to Ranger? No. Why not? For the same freakin reasons I made them off classes in the first place!

"
So, you expect people who chose not to make cookie cutter builds to convert their builds to cookie cutters. I guess I now see your logic. Maybe the reason I keep getting more and more against this is because it portrays the playerbase as weak minded people who are capable of thinking for themselves enough to build outside of cookie cutters but not capable of staying outside of cookie cutters when 6 ascendency points can let you choose 4 powerful nodes out of 18 for each class.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
So all the people who are arguing against a free class respec are basically saying it doesn't effect me (because ill play whatever is OP for that class this patch)so its fine.

How-ever I will say that in MOST cases the Ascendency passives will buff most builds regardless of class but the OP is right in a lot of cases if you CHOOSE to play a favourite build on a class for thematic reasons you ARE going to be suboptimal in some cases where it didn't matter so much before.
"Blue warrior shot the food"
My ideal solution would be to unlock access to any ascendency class that a player acquires a starting node for. So if you're a Templar and travel all the way to a Duelist starting node, you can choose from any of the Templar or Duelist ascendency classes.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Vhlad wrote:
My ideal solution would be to unlock access to any ascendency class that a player acquires a starting node for. So if you're a Templar and travel all the way to a Duelist starting node, you can choose from any of the Templar or Duelist ascendency classes.

Boosts Scion.

Irrelevant for everyone else.

That is the reason why I am against it.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
If you aren't a dedicated perm STD or HC player, how could you be opposed to this?

It has ZERO affect on temp league players, and I bet those who are against this are not even full time perm league players.

I play only standard. I'm against this. Get your dirty league-playing hands off of my playground. Respeccing the whole tree is already a joke, and you still want more by making character class switches a joke.

STD is my playground, i have a 100 and 96, and no league or race character, whereas you keep your profile hidden...

Having a sensible and non detrimental option that pleases the majority of a dying, ignored and unappreciated player base is definitely not a 'joke'. If you are so opposed to it simply choose not to change your character. And you in the smallest of the small minority who complain about an absolute necessary and FREE respec... give me a break.
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
"
One-off class reset request in light of Ascendancy expansion (@GGG)

You really don't get it. ^^ The point is that they want you to level a bunch of new chars! That is no side effect that is the main reason for the new expansion. ;)
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info