Does Ice Crash benefit (100%) from cold damage nodes?

HI

I have an ice crash guy, and have invested in cold dmg nodes.

Would it have been better to invest in pure melee dmg?

Someone commented on my build and said my cold dmg nodes were wasted.

As the repsec is coming up, I wanted to check this.

TYVM

Turnip
It is a conversion physical 2 cold.. it scales best with physical nodes. There really great threads on conversion mechanics. Physical also will scale hatred as well n would be best dps aura. Now the damage that is converted is scaled by the physical nodes n gear as well as any cold/elemental scalling nodes. So it benefits by both....any added col/ ele. Damage will only scale off the cold/ele modifiers.

Good luck but u should read the mechanics thread for a thorough explanation n examples.
Only the converted cold part will benefit from cold damage%, plus any additive cold damage on gear. It's unlikely to be better than melee physical %increases, unless you have a lot of additive cold damage on your gear.

Tyvm

Trouble is I'm leveling added cold gem support to IC
If I change to pure melee nodes looks like I'l have better dps, but might have to change the support - added cold.

Does added cold dmg gem convert phys - on gem it just adds cold, so I guess if I go pure melee, I should change that support gem.

Turnip
Tyvm

Trouble is I'm leveling added cold gem support to IC
If I change to pure melee nodes looks like I'l have better dps, but might have to change the support - added cold.

Does added cold dmg gem convert phys - on gem it just adds cold, so I guess if I go pure melee, I should change that support gem.

If I did change that support - what would e good - atm I have wepaon ele dmg - melee phys - faster attacks and added cold.
Trouble is - I spent an ex qualitiying added cold gem lol.

Turnip
Added flat damage (Added Cold/Lightning supports, Herald of Ice/Thunder, flat ele damage from gear, etc) scales best with fast-hitting attacks. Since Ice Crash is about doing high damage at low speeds, it's better to not use flat elemental damage in most cases. It's still very much possible; it's just that your DPS will be lower by comparison.

Added Cold Damage does not convert physical damage to cold - it doesn't say anything about this on the gem. Most mechanics in PoE are very explicitly stated; some are confusing, but they are definitely outright mentioned on the gem/item/passive skill.

There are a number of gems that are good for Ice Crash, but as with most skills, it depends on your build. If you are going all-out elemental, your best bets would be Added Fire Damage or Physical to Lightning, and Weapon Elemental Damage. If you are physical/ice, most people use Melee Physical Damage, WED again, Faster Attacks, or Increased Critical Damage/Strikes (if you are crit).

Check the builds lists for far more in-depth examples and explanations :)

Edit: words.
Last edited by SponTen on Nov 22, 2015, 4:14:00 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply - I'll check out the link.

:-)

Turnip

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info