Aussies! It's official Huntsman season!

"
Rayzabladez wrote:

We live in an old house, in the sense that it had been built just after the second world war.

For some reason, the spiders just love it. [Probably because it's comfortable and warm.]

Red backs, funnel webs, huntsmen, white tails, and tons of other types live in and around our home.

I do *not* like spiders!

So it's like a war zone here some evenings in the summer.

I have a rule that any spider can live outside and do whatever they please, but if they come inside and I see them .... they are dead!

There is nothing quite like hopping into the shower and becoming aware of a bloody big black spider right beside you in there.

Or typing at your computer desk and feeling something crawling up your bare leg.

Or sitting on the throne and something starts crawling across your bare bum! Ack!

Ahhh, what fun... :(

wat.... throne?! yo, are you a king or something o.o
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
My mother used to kill every spider on sight, or give out a loud yell to summon me.

Since she knows i get mad if she kills em, she calls me to take them outside.

After time though, i conditioned her to simply leave them be, she doesn't even phase anymore if she sees them and is able to simply ignore them now.

She's a lot less stressed now because of that :)

My stance has always been the same, i dislike mosquito's more then i dislike spiders. So spiders are in and mosquito's are out.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
My mother used to kill every spider on sight, or give out a loud yell to summon me.

Since she knows i get mad if she kills em, she calls me to take them outside.

After time though, i conditioned her to simply leave them be, she doesn't even phase anymore if she sees them and is able to simply ignore them now.

She's a lot less stressed now because of that :)

My stance has always been the same, i dislike mosquito's more then i dislike spiders. So spiders are in and mosquito's are out.

Peace,

-Boem-

im basically the opposite, i have a huge fear of spiders, especially big ass ones >_> my mums all chill with them though...

makes me think... am i adopted?!
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
Lol i once picked a tiny spider from the floor, trying to save it from my mom sweeping. The damn thing bit my finger and i never trusted spiders since.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
Temper wrote:
"
Einkil wrote:
Poor spiderbros, they just want hugs, snuggles and cuddles. In reality though, aren't huntsmans very aggressive?

No they're not aggressive at all toward humans or most large animals and will run (or jump) before taking on a human (in most cases).

On the other hand,they're very aggressive predators and it's amazing watching a huntsman and a wasp go at it.

Then they're just spiderbros that want to keep your house safe from pests :)
Must have been thinking of Redbacks and/or funnels then. I'm "Murican" so my knowldge of Anywhere's fauna is rather lackluster

"

wat.... throne?! yo, are you a king or something o.o

I think he means the porcelain throne, as in the toilet.
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
Last edited by Einkil on Nov 20, 2015, 4:46:25 PM

"I think he means the porcelain throne, as in the toilet."

Yes, correct. Here in Oz we call it "the throne" among other names.

For example, after a long night on the booze, you might say it was the "phone to jesus", or "driving the porcelain bus"... or the "dunny", "loo", crapper, etc, etc.

Spiders, on hot Ozzie days need a drink and seek out moisture, especially the larger ones. So we quite often find them in the shower or toilet.

When it's colder, places like sock drawers and your shoes and clothes are favourite hiding places.

Most of the Ozzie spiders are venomous. Some of them will kill you and are quite aggressive when disturbed.

The Ozzie funnelweb being a fine example of this.

I relocate all spiders I find in the house to outside, I even have a glass container for such a purpose. Sometimes when I catch a large Huntsman, I'll find a moth and put it in the jar and watch it get devoured.

For those who have a policy of killing spiders on sight, shame on you. Huntsmen are large spiders and no doubt leave a large mess to clean up. Let them live as they'll clean up some of the other more dangerous spiders.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

"
I found the biggest white tail spider in my sock drawer the other day.

It was about....

|----------|

^^ that big.

Which may or may not be very big depending on your screen resolution/browser zoom. I burned all my socks. And my drawers. And then my house.

Huntsman Spider
While-tailed spider

They're not really comparable Sarah, I'd probably be more scared of the massive thing that hangs out on toilet paper and wrestles with snakes. Although in saying that, the white tail fills me with a sense of dread that the Huntsman doesn't. Probably because I've never encountered a Huntsman before, and also possibly because white tails are aggressive, evil, sinister, hellspawn-spiders. They even look menacing, and will run at you if you look in their direction.
Need some help? Contact us at support@grindinggear.com

Queen of Padlocks
"
Hardlicker wrote:

For those who have a policy of killing spiders on sight, shame on you.

For someone that is highly allergic to many, many types of insects it's more a matter of self preservation. I've been hospitalized once over a damn spider, never again if I can help it...

Search google images for "brown recluse spider bite" and you'll get a better idea of why I feel this way. (Don't do this if you're squeamish though, you've been warned) :P
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Hardlicker wrote:

For those who have a policy of killing spiders on sight, shame on you.

For someone that is highly allergic to many, many types of insects it's more a matter of self preservation. I've been hospitalized once over a damn spider, never again if I can help it...

Search google images for "brown recluse spider bite" and you'll get a better idea of why I feel this way. (Don't do this if you're squeamish though, you've been warned) :P

Most people are allergic to being bitten by a venomous spider to some degree. When I was younger, I was bitten on the eyelid by a spider whilst I was sleeping. I woke up and wasn't able to open my eye. It healed, I was fine after a few days. I don't know which type of spider it was.

I still believe in life. All creatures great and small with the exception of mosquitoes, which is why I'm happy to have spiders living outside the house.

As to being squeamish, I've lived in Australia my whole life and I'm used to 90% of the fauna being poisonous.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info