[2.2] Flameblast Totem (Cheap / Atziri Viable)

Dual Crit Flameblast Totem

Build discussion in reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3sme4m/dual_crit_flameblast_totem

Video

75 Darkforest Rare Map - https://youtu.be/btasXNMl5fs
77 Bazaar Rare Map - https://youtu.be/8LbyylSCG3c
78 Precinct Rare Map - https://youtu.be/HmgTXUKHhvQ

Note
I am currently playing Flame Surge Totem in this new league Talisman, but it has same passive tree/gears with this build. So as I am updating this build, I am uploading a quick demonstration of flameblast in this 2.1 patch.

Note that I am using low level Flameblast gem
76 Gorge: https://youtu.be/Tyx4YNoe8SY

Atziri With Same Passive/ Items with 1 changed spell - Flame Surge: https://youtu.be/mzmocRkRAW8

Flameblast Totem vs Selfcast Flameblast
- Totems can stack higher crit chance, while not worrying about reflects.
- Totems do not automatically explodes when it reaches 10 stacks, meaning you have to re-cast them to explode.
- Totems do not need mana for it to charge up to 10 stacks.
- Free to move/dodge around while charging up

Pro/Cons

Pros
- Endgame with really cheap gears (< 1ex)
- Unlike many other totem builds, it's not boring.
- Reflect free
- High dps with good AoE
- Safe with staying behind the totems
- Can played as Flame Surge / Firestorm

Cons
- Flameblast explodes when totem disappears, so we have to keep re-cast them
(However, this is the part where this totem build becomes more fun than other totems!)
- Do not have defense keystone in passive

Passive Tree

With the ascendancy patch, I am going to playing as Assassin on shadow.

Here are reasons why I picked assassin:

1) Ambush gives "100% more critical strike chance against enemies that are on full life + 40% crit multi".
Since flameblast usually one shots enemeis on full charge with crit, it means that we only have to invest
around 47.5% critical chance to hit max critical chance.

2) Deadly Infusion gives 0.5% base critical chance per power charge. This means that we don't have to
invest a lot of critical chance on passive/gears to hit maximum critical chance.
In fact, we only need 1 power charge on passive and 1 from bandit and we should be good with 5 power charges.

However, this is just my theory before the actual release, so there might be better class for this build.

Here's the passive tree for assassin: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAAQHBLMHHgj0DkgPxBCSES8RUBGWFecWbxa_GjgabBslHNwdTx8CIvQjNiSqJpUnLyoLKhMrCi3SMjI1uTbFNuk6WDt8PAU9X0V8RZ1JUUmxS65Ms06uUlNTEFNSVUtVxljlWitd8l5dYeJmVGaeaPJqQ2wLbRlwUnOzfIN_xoKbg9uD84V7hX2J04w2jHaPGpBVkyeVLpeVl5eX9Jo7muCdrp_foS-iAKKjo_KnCKcrp5SuErE2uMq8b7zqvorAVMBm0B_R_dWm18_YJNlb2YbfiuNq5CLpAuvu7DjtPO9874jv6_Af8Gvw1ffB-Tf60g==?accountName=GeGuRi&characterName=GeGul
While leveling, try to rush toward Ancestral Bond so that you can summon 2 totmes. On the way, you can grab few life nodes to play safer.

for leveling gems, use fire trap and blade vortex (or any spells on your preference) until act3, then
grab a flameblast in act3 with Ambush ascendancy node.

Other Ascendancy Class

If you are trying out different class other than assassin,
here's the witch starting node with decent crit nodes: poeurl.com/x5O

If you are starting as templar, just switch witch's starting nodes with templar's elemental/spell nodes.

Bandit

Normal: Oak (Life)
Cruel: Pssive
Merciless: Power charge

Power charge

To get power charges, I suggest using :
Blade Vortex - Pcoc - AoE - Increased Duration

Current Gear

Note that the same thing can be done without the Uniques I have.
I farmed up to 75 maps with all rares with bad stats, then upgraded one by one.

Stats to prioritize in order
- Life / Resistance

- Enough Mana / Mana regen / Stats
(if you don't have enough dex/str it's also good idea to get them in passive.)
- Critical Chance / Spell Damage
- Energy Shield

Gem Links

Required on Body Armor:

Regular

3L = Spell Totem - Flameblast - Faster Casting

4L = Spell Totem - Flameblast - Faster Casting - Fire Penetration

5L = Spell Totem - Flameblast - Faster Casting - Fire Penetration - Increased Area Effect (Conc effect for boss)

6L = Spell Totem - Flameblast - Faster Casting - Fire Penetration - Increased Area Effect (Conc)- Less Duration

When you get The Consuming Dark

4L = Spell Totem - Flameblast - Faster Casting - Increased Aoe (Conc effect for boss)
5L = Spell TOtem - Flameblast - Faster Casting - AoE(Conc) - Less Duration
6L = Spell TOtem - Flameblast - Faster Casting - AoE(Conc) - Less Duration - Elemental Focus

Rest are all optional, but Gems I am currently using are:

3L Weapon: Whirling Blade - Faster Attack - Fortify
3L Weapon (Later Consuming Dark) : Searing Bond - Rapid Decay - Increased Burning Damage (Faster Casting optional)

4L Gloves: Flammability (Temporal Chain) - Arctic Armour - Anything
4L Boots: Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Flame Golem - Increased Duration
4L Helm: Blade Vortex - AoE - PCoC - Increased Duration

Combat

Basic idea is:
you summon your first totem, and while we are waiting for that totem to charge up, we summon the second totem.
Then, when you want to explode your first totem, you cast your 3rd totem, making the first totem to be destroyed and explode, and repeat.

Use whirling blade to dodge skills and move around.

Keep casting your rallying cry for extra mana regen and damage boost,
also don't forget that you can always switch around gem setting to increase damage but lower AoE on the bosses.
Last edited by GeGuRi on Mar 10, 2016, 2:42:23 AM
Last bumped on Sep 18, 2017, 11:32:49 AM
This looks extremely strong! Definitely going to use this build in the tailsman league
I saw a build like this a while ago, it was by a japanese guy i think, doing a crematorium map.
This seems... insanely inefficient. What do you do on turbo maps? Just tank a lot?
"
s3ne wrote:
This looks extremely strong! Definitely going to use this build in the tailsman league

Thanks!
"
hlobo350 wrote:
I saw a build like this a while ago, it was by a japanese guy i think, doing a crematorium map.

Did you see that on twitch? because I did stream with this build for a bit like 2-3 days ago with Korean musics background.
"
Skware1 wrote:
This seems... insanely inefficient. What do you do on turbo maps? Just tank a lot?

Not sure which maps you are talking about, so far I didn't have much problem on most of the bosses until tier 11.

"
GeGuRi wrote:
"
Skware1 wrote:

Not sure which maps you are talking about, so far I didn't have much problem on most of the bosses until tier 11.

Literally any map with fast moving mobs. if they stack on your face you are at the mercy of your cast speed because you can't get damage out instantly.
"
Skware1 wrote:
"
GeGuRi wrote:
"
Skware1 wrote:

Literally any map with fast moving mobs. if they stack on your face you are at the mercy of your cast speed because you can't get damage out instantly.

Here's what I do, I cast totem in front of me beforehand when I move forward.
Usually monster leapslam/flicker stirke to the totem before me. If they get on me, I don't just stand there let them stack on me, I use whirling blade to move backward to kite them. You can see me facing them in Darkforest map on the video against leap slam, snakes, and devourer.

Also the casting time is not big different than just normal flameblast, since there is bunch of cast speed with placenement speed. If you are comparing this to the current op builds, this build obviously lacks, it's just fun decent build imo.
"
GeGuRi wrote:

Also the casting time is not big different than just normal flameblast

Except it is because you can do a 2 stack flameblast at your feet instantly in self cast. Here you are forced to run away while the totem does damage. Essentially flame totem with a delay.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info