did GGG drop rate of map drops?

last i played was 9 months ago and i would keep a fat pool of 77s and 78s

passed few days of playing PoE i ran 4 palace maps 2 shrines and a few 76s

i roll them with good mods but highest map i have gotten is

is there some new trick to get maps to drop?
We herd you like drops so we dropped the drop rate so you can drop while you drop!

Also related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefBFWh-3BU
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
"
lolbam wrote:
last i played was 9 months ago and i would keep a fat pool of 77s and 78s

passed few days of playing PoE i ran 4 palace maps 2 shrines and a few 76s

i roll them with good mods but highest map i have gotten is

is there some new trick to get maps to drop?

Map drops were actually buffed recently, rather than lowered - and instead of map level showing, it now is a tier system shown...

T1 = 68
T2 = 69
T3 = 70
T4 = 71
T5 = 72
T6 = 73
T7 = 74
T8 = 75
T9 = 76
T10 = 77
T11 = 78 (as you linked)
T12 = 79
T13 = 80
T14 = 81
T15 = 82

Beta Member Since 0.9.0 | Current Character : ExExCorpse
Creator of Prismatic Rings AND Unique Thief's Torment Prismatic Ring
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Guide to Loot Filters - Here
Yes there has been several changes to maps since 9 months ago. First the drop rates were nerfed then they were improved (although I think most felt like the first improvement was minute or plain un noticeable) and then they improved it again just before the last one month which is about to end.

They asked us to test it during the latest one month and I think most players agree that it has improved and is fine now many did mention that the one month has a bunch of crazy free mods like ambush so it's an inconclusive test.

I hope that helps answer your question, basically yes they did and it's still a bit of work in progress.

Also you might want to check out these two posts as they explain it in detail.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1297521

and then

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1429674
Last edited by OldmanBlackdragon on Nov 2, 2015, 4:51:17 AM
Expected a "PoE is ded because Steamcharts" thread. Was disappointed.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Yes there has been several changes to maps since 9 months ago. First the drop rates were nerfed then they were improved (although I think most felt like the first improvement was minute or plain un noticeable) and then they improved it again just before the last one month which is about to end.

They asked us to test it during the latest one month and I think most players agree that it has improved and is fine now many did mention that the one month has a bunch of crazy free mods like ambush so it's an inconclusive test.

I hope that helps answer your question, basically yes they did and it's still a bit of work in progress.

Also you might want to check out these two posts as they explain it in detail.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1297521

and then

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1429674

Inconclusive is an understatement. Free Ambush and Domination on each map? The closer you can get to that in a normal league is rolling only one of these modes with Zana, which costs 10 or 12 chaos per map.

At OP: They nerfed map drops in numerous ways across the board, then they gave them an upwards adjustment twice, but it's still not what it was 9 months ago.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
davros70 wrote:
very valued post ... /s

completely missed the point!

What many people in here (those saying "but they buffed drop rate several times") seem to forget is that they nerfed the map drop rate to the ground in the awakening beta.

it was so bad that people complained not being able to get past 72 maps. this was the point where they made the single one significant drop buff.
later carl made a post where he said he sees people are stashing higher level maps instead of running them assuming those maps "are too hard to run". i'm still not sure if he was actually trolling but somehow i doubt it.

then there was the "smoothening".
they saw that there was a significant drop in maps at level 74 so they raised the drop rate of the affected map levels (something to 76 maybe 77) to be more in line with the curve they intended.

the last buff was mostly for low level maps and bit for high level.

now what people also not seem to understand is that increasing a tiny number by a small amount wont change that number at all. at least not in a "live environment".

with the high variance in map drops you cant tell if you experiencing the "raised drop rates" or are just lucky.
many reports in this forum where people claim they had no problem in warbands/tempest sustaining certain map levels and are now struggeling in the flashback event (after the last recent buff + shrines/strongboxes etc) support this.

this whole map drop thingy that is going on since they released maps way back then just shows how stubborn ggg can be. They may have picked some of the suggestions made but only those that actually fit in their "plans".
One example (i also suggested) is to make boss kills more meaningful. So they gave bosses a flat chance to drop maps but also removed the +2 drops from rare/unique monsters (except the boss). On top of that the boss still is able to drop tier 1 (68) maps.
Another one is "removing" the pack size affix. Just to implement it in another way.
You still have to roll maps for pack size but need now need chaos orbs instead of alterations for it. This "saved" alterations you now need to roll strongboxes for magic monsters (ie. pack size).

PS: to actualy answer the op in a tl:dr version:
Yes, it is much harder now to sustain high level maps and if you are unlucky you can basicaly dump your whole wealth into rolling maps and get nothing out of it.
The way to go now is:
- get high pack size and quantity on maps
- chisel and vaal fragment them (may also corrupt them)
- use zana to add ambush and roll every strong box for "+ magic monsters"
All I know is I recently ran 12 old shrine maps (now tier 12) and the highest map drops I got were two 10s. Back when Awakening was just released I ran 12 old palace maps (now tier 13) and got 1 tier 14 and once tier 13, the rest was all lower. All were alched and chiseled.
"
Ruefl2x wrote:

The way to go now is:
- get high pack size and quantity on maps
- chisel and vaal fragment them (may also corrupt them)
- use zana to add ambush and roll every strong box for "+ magic monsters"

This is accessible only to players with a ton of resources on their hands. You need ~10 chaos orbs per map to get good pack size, then 12 chaos for Ambush, and quite a lot of orbs burned on each trong box - rolling magic monsters is actually not easy at all.

The other option is to just alch and go, or even only transmute/augment and go. You either invest a ton of resources or you invest next to nothing and just run whatever maps you have access to.

I've been using the minimum resource method and level 76 seems to be the dependable base you get with it, with frequent but not always guaranteed 77-78s and occasional 79, 80 and above.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:

This is accessible only to players with a ton of resources on their hands. You need ~10 chaos orbs per map to get good pack size, then 12 chaos for Ambush, and quite a lot of orbs burned on each trong box - rolling magic monsters is actually not easy at all.

i know. it once took me 59 alts to roll magic packs.
also i think (my personal feeling) they made it more difficult to roll magic packs in this flashback event. might as well be rng, who knows.
in warbands i used around 10 alts on average to roll it. in this league it is more like 15 alts.

also i refuse to spend my wealth on maps knowing it can just go down the drain.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info