[TheoryCraft] The Shocker - Shock Nova/AoE/Dual Totem/Dual Curse/Crit Caster

As Mentioned in the title, this is theory - After finalizing the paths and eliminating weak points to strengthen the strong points.. I am finally ready to begin this build myself and will document the proceedings as they happen.

This build is well based around your gear, and what route you wish to take with said gear. Dual Wands or Dual Daggers work best, but I will mention below the possibility of using a two handed staff for its global passive traits on crit as well.

This is NOT a cut and paste build! As the above paragraph describes, it depends on what weapons you choose to use with where you choose to put your supporting passive points!

I present to you the aptly named, "Shocker". A dual totem Templar that blooms at mid level (40+) and encapsulates being able to hit around corners and stand back while a dazzling display of fireworks boom in the distance with a staggering amount of crit DPS while utilizing dual curses.

This theory emphasizes the full 111 points with anything past the original 90/100 range being extras into critical hit percent and damage to emphasize the dual curse bonus. The reasoning behind 111 points, is that you can total different builds at the same point value to remove weak points to emphasize strong points, then break it down into segmented chunks based on your equipment statistics. 111 points are better for theory builds, in my own opinion, as you can make up shortcomings with gear until you are able to level up enough to make the difference.

111 Point Passive Tree

The Breakdown:

Why start with Templar.. why not Witch or Shadow?

The Templar has a stronger survivability on the start, that is the main reason, it is also closer to the dual totem link so you can drop a point next to it to prepare yourself for when you are ready to fully dual totem yourself. If you have enough uniques, you can cruise through the first 20 levels dual wielding swords with dual strike and cleave because you have the HP total and elemental resists to cope with the entire first difficulty with zero issues. You will have a distinct lack of power in the first 40 levels, and until you are ready to lay out your Spell Totem, and then Dual it - it is preferred to stay as melee and cruise through the Normal content to get up to Ledge on Cruel difficulty to begin your initial level grinding.

I even recommend adding into the Armor tree just north of Dual Totems for the enhanced Armor/Energy Shield/Resists if you need it; and then phasing it out with respec points to further your damage once you go dual totems. The Shadow doesn't have the important Resist and armor/energy shield nodes you will require - as this build has next to zero Dex to provide enough Evade to merit using a Shadow to start the tree with.

Why go Critical Chance + Multiplier instead of spell damage?

One word will aptly explain why this build emphasizes critical hits. BOOM! By this meaning, to obtain all of the radius nodes available, you are forced to skip out on some spell damage; to counteract this lack in DPS - you take advantage of stacking shock on everything on the screen, and then critical hitting while shocked. The damage bonus in critical hitting more than makes up for the lack of spell damage nodes taken.

What weapon types should I be using with this build?

Initially, it will be recommended to use whatever means available. If you find a wand with +10%/+30% spell damage early on.. go ahead and use that with freezing pulse, if you want to run dual swords; use dual strike and cleave. The very nature of a late bloomer build puts your initial character progression solely on what equipment you have available. I strongly recommend using a dual wield sword, as dual strike + cleave lets you fly through monsters with enough of a tank to chow down the named bosses without an issue in Normal. This may be adjusted if you choose to go with a two hand staff for its additional 6L capability and the +40% Crit Chance & +40% Multiplier node just above the Templar tree. Going Two Hand Staff may be preferable for the crit chance + damage, but you will be missing out on the posible additional spell casting speed and spell damage from dual wielding wands. Only being tied to 3L on two weapons can be a weak point though, so it is up to your personal tastes and how loot plays out for you.

Skill Layout:

4L
Shock Nova + Spell Totem + Faster Casting + Increased Critical Damage

5L
Shock Nova + Spell Totem + Faster Casting + Increased Critical Damage + Elemental Proliferation

6L
Shock Nova + Spell Totem + Faster Casting + Increased Critical Damage + Elemental Proliferation + Increased Area of Effect

Support Extras:
Curse: Critical Weakness and (Conductivity or Elemental Weakness)
Auras: Clarity (on blood magic gem + reduced mana cost if needed) + Haste (For faster casting on totems)
Traps: Bear Trap or Fire Trap for either single target dps boost or large aoe dps boost.

Key Note:

* This build can EASILY switch to using Ice Nova totems as well, or even using Firestorm if you prefer going that route. Another option, is to use Elemental Equilibrium and dual totem with an Ice Nova totem to constantly swap the resists back and forth with Shock Wave to deal +50% damage on both hits.

Leave some replies.. start up a discussion, lets do what forums do best - and pool the ideas!
Last edited by xXCryptXx on Feb 14, 2013, 3:22:39 PM
Reserving a single post for the future links of any available videos and recommendations as they crop up during the build of this character.
Last edited by xXCryptXx on Feb 14, 2013, 3:13:41 PM
Looks like a really cool and kind of unique build... I will test it and post my opinions about it later.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info