Regarding locked threads that thematized the globe appearances

What you just described, DalaiLama, is reasonable, but it's really just the other side of the same coin. Your analogy describes GGG's concerns and how they might manage and implement customer feedback. I think it's safe to say they have collected a lot of feedback, and the ball is in their court as to how they choose to utilize it.

On the other side, what I described is a customer choosing to give feedback in an inappropriate manner, in a public place which is effectively the business's storefront, and how the business owner might have to respond to protect themselves and maintain a healthy environment for the rest of their customers.

Which is not to say that discussing things on this forum should not be permitted, but come on, don't you think an adequate time at the pulpit has been allowed? Is what drives people mad that they have the power to lock? Is it a compulsion to have the last word? I've met many people like that, and they are not pleasant to be around.
if history tells players anything then it's that ggg bows down to popular demands .. before the new forum policy.

if it existed before introducing "instanced loot" we would probably still have competitive game play because all it would have taken was to ock one or two threads and silence 3-4 regular posters who managed to blast out 300 pages of the same arguments over and over again. and succeeded.

if there is a topic that concerns players there must be a way to utter these concerns here independent of devs preferences.

and if devs openly announces (as they did) "they really would like to delete the forum" when the globe girls thread was upped, they just draw in players with no real concerns for the game, making it worse and providing the grounds for the locks. thank you. not.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Oct 3, 2015, 3:50:20 PM
and to make that clear: i still care for the game, thats why i keep posting about these issues.

it's like in real life: the easiest solution after getting insulted when f.e. getting a service is to not go there anymore. which is wrong.

i'm the uncomfortable type of guy who confronts the one who insults and let's them know that i feel insulted. i use to fight for the things i love.

looking at the forums now i don't think that's what ggg wanted as a "healthy poe community". their policy should be to get players back from reddit and elsewhere, not driving players there.

just compare dev posts of the last 2 months on reddit and here (please exclude the mandarory daily posts), it really leaves me thinking what ggg's vision of "working the community" is about.
To be fair, I can see why they visit Reddit more. It's a lot more constructive. I frequent it and there are plenty of people who disagree with a lot of their decisions, but in a far more mature and respectful manner than what I've seen on these forums today. I don't know if that is due to like minds flocking together, or the nature of reddit moderation encouraging good behavior. Perhaps their efforts at moderation are to prevent people from fleeing this forum? That is generally the goal I think.
"
What you just described, DalaiLama, is reasonable, but it's really just the other side of the same coin. Your analogy describes GGG's concerns and how they might manage and implement customer feedback. I think it's safe to say they have collected a lot of feedback, and the ball is in their court as to how they choose to utilize it.

On the other side, what I described is a customer choosing to give feedback in an inappropriate manner, in a public place which is effectively the business's storefront, and how the business owner might have to respond to protect themselves and maintain a healthy environment for the rest of their customers.

I'd agree with that aspect of the analogy. In a business, you try to get the customer over to a less public place, but unless the customer is belligerent or physically abusive, you don't forcibly move the customer.

"
Which is not to say that discussing things on this forum should not be permitted, but come on, don't you think an adequate time at the pulpit has been allowed?

Adequate would be when the customer is mollified. If you've dealt with these situations before, then you've probably experienced that most customers will talk themselves out and really just want to be heard. A few need a ride in the batmobile, but if the police are coming for more than a handful of your customers, you are either in a very bad neighborhood or doing it wrong as a company.

(This would exclude thieves, as they are not customers, and will complain unreasonably when their ability to steal and return stolen goods for cash is hindered)

"
Is what drives people mad that they have the power to lock? Is it a compulsion to have the last word? I've met many people like that, and they are not pleasant to be around.

If you haven't already seen it, take a look at Peanut Allergies and the way they are recommending parents handle feeding peanuts to kids now. A lot of lives were needlessly lost because the powers that be got things wrong and used ham handed methods to enforce their edicts.

Just imagine if BMW came out with cars like these:

Oh wait, they did.
Spoiler
And there were people that loved the car.
Now imagine that all BMWs hence looked like that.

And pesky BMW aficionados kept asking for the more classic BMW looks to return.

There's something about certain visual combinations that people appreciate more than others.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Oct 3, 2015, 4:16:07 PM
eh, just found the aswer i can live with. no more posts about it.

have fun with discussing controversial decisions of ggg here in the future, i'm out.
Well DalaiLama, it has been a good discussion, and you've given me some compelling food for thought. While I'm pretty sure we still vary a bit in our opinions on these topics, I try to remain open to incremental change in how I see the world (it gets harder as you get older).
^^^ Fair enough. Sometimes I talk with confidence when I shouldn't. :) I had a feeling after I posted that it may be one such occasion, and I don't actually doubt it!
Last edited by Shaihalud222 on Oct 3, 2015, 7:26:28 PM
We talking about practice

As much as I hate the whine threads about Act 4 mobs or map drops, at least those are major parts of the game. We are talking about globe girls here.
This thread is so depressing I don't even know where to start with.

It is depressing because the GGG staff are right when they say that the GG (globe girls) thread was harmful to the community, as it gave the image of a very immature community, and this could possibly used against the game and its community in the future.

It is depressing because the GGG staff handled this thread in a perfectly reasonable way : letting people bring all their arguments on the topic, then close it when no more arguments are made, yet people still bring it back up regularly without bringing anything new to the discussion. There was no other reasonable action that would stop this thread from being shamelessly brought back to the front page every few days.

It is depressing because we can see here the typical knee-jerk reaction saying that the figure of authority is being oppressive whenever it does something that a part of the community doesn't like.

It is depressing because if half of the accusations made to GGG had been made towards any group of individuals rather than GGG itself, the thread would have been locked ages earlier, and no one would have argued against that locking.

It is depressing because I cannot see this thread as anything but another attempt to circumvent the moderation made about the GG thread :
Thread closed? => New thread.
We are not allowed to reopen this particular subject right now? => Make an identical subject, with a different title.
They saw right through it? => Complain about moderation on this subject.
Not allowed to talk about moderation on that subject? => Complain about moderation in general.

It is depressing because there's been a lot of misinformation on the thread and its children. I had to make a close screenshot of the feminine statues in the Grand Arena to prove that they weren't different from the golden statues in act 3.

And finally, it's depressing because the thread is clearly about the GG, and nothing else. There's no reason to believe that GGG would arbitrarily lock any other threads, and much less any active threads.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info