Question about converting damage

so Lets say we have some lightning damage spell such as Storm call

if in the scenario where one wears two Call of the Brotherhood Rings (effectively turning all lightning damage to cold) if i have a cold to fire gem linked to it will it convert the 50% of my damage to fire?

a slightly similar one as well would be, if i get avatar of fire and use 1 call of the brotherhood ring and i use a cold to fire gem will all my damage effectively get turned into fire without a loss of damage?

Sorry in advance if my writing is confusing
Im sure duplicate items like Gems an Rings don't stack if that's what you're asking.
"
so Lets say we have some lightning damage spell such as Storm call

if in the scenario where one wears two Call of the Brotherhood Rings (effectively turning all lightning damage to cold) if i have a cold to fire gem linked to it will it convert the 50% of my damage to fire?

a slightly similar one as well would be, if i get avatar of fire and use 1 call of the brotherhood ring and i use a cold to fire gem will all my damage effectively get turned into fire without a loss of damage?

Sorry in advance if my writing is confusing

I don't normally do these kinds of builds however to address the question about Avatar of fire, I believe you can actually do that as it's not the first time a build has done this. Such as with the Pyre ring + Avatar of fire to convert all cold to fire. I may be wrong on that but I believe it does work that way because Avatar of fire doesn't just cut half the damage off, it just removes whatever damage is NOT fire, so if 100% of lightning damage is converted to fire, there's nothing for Avatar of fire to remove.

As far as the Brotherhood ring question goes, that's a harder question to answer because one would assume support gems are calculated before gear mods are. However I don't completely see why this couldn't work. Why not just try and see? :)
"

Yes, conversion to cold goes before conversion to fire.

"

Call of the brotherhood will go first and convert half of your lightning damage to cold, then avatar and cold to fire will kick in, avatar will convert the rest of lightning to fire and combined with cold to fire support it will fully convert the half of lightning that was previously converted to cold, so all your damage will end up as fire and nothing will get lost.

Support gems indeed do go before gear and passives but only within same conversion step, lightning->fire conversion goes before cold->fire, and CtF gem converting cold to fire before avatar changes nothing.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 2, 2015, 7:07:18 AM
thank you all for your wonderful responses
"
raics wrote:
"

Yes, conversion to cold goes before conversion to fire.

"

Call of the brotherhood will go first and convert half of your lightning damage to cold, then avatar and cold to fire will kick in, avatar will convert the rest of lightning to fire and combined with cold to fire support it will fully convert the half of lightning that was previously converted to cold, so all your damage will end up as fire and nothing will get lost.

Support gems indeed do go before gear and passives but only within same conversion step, lightning->fire conversion goes before cold->fire, and CtF gem converting cold to fire before avatar changes nothing.

hold on a second...

Call of Brotherhood= 50% lightning to cold
Cold to Fire lvl 20 gem= 29% cold to fire damage. (this leaves 21% unconverted after Avatar and the gem itself, unless i'm missing something).

PS (you could just use Pyre to save a gem slot).

So... 0% lightning damage with Avatar and CoB...

100% Lightning - Avatar - CoB
50% Lightning = Fire
50% Lightning to Cold = 0 lightning damage remaining

100% cold damage (converted lightning) - Avatar = 50% cold damage left (or 25% of total damage)
50% Cold Damage Unconverted- Cold to Fire (29% at lvl 20) = 21% remaining unused damage

So you sacrifice 10.5% total lightning damage in the conversion process using CtF. If you use a Pyre ring you actually get ALL of your lightning damage successfully converted to Fire.
"

hold on a second...

Call of Brotherhood= 50% lightning to cold
Cold to Fire lvl 20 gem= 29% cold to fire damage. (this leaves 21% unconverted after Avatar and the gem itself, unless i'm missing something)

You misread the wiki and/or are remembering the old version of the gem. 29% is added as at level 20; 50% is converted at all levels. The added as stat doesn't "leave unconverted" anything because it doesn't convert anything in the first place.

Just in case that wasn't clear, Cold to Fire gem has two effects, one conversion and one added as, and the converted amount is always 50%.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info