Barrage and dual wielding

Hello comunity,

I was wondering about the management of dual wielding with the skill barrage.

The wiki says : "Dual Wielding will cause the player to fire with both wands, although the number of projectiles will still be the same as if you were single wielding."

On the dual wielding page there is few information about this.
But on the page about dual trike (wich hit with two weapon too) we have this : "If the player's weapons have different critical strike chance or accuracy values, it is possible to critical or miss with one weapon, but not the other."

So with dual strike :

final damages = (damage main hand + damage off hand) * dual strike multiplier

With accuracy and critic chance only one weapon is used.
How does it work ?
I can see 3 case :
It take only the main weapon.
It takes one at random.
It switch (main hand then off hand then main hand...).

So barrage should work the same way, is it the case ?
I can see one other case for barrage, if it fire 6 projectile each wand fire 3 of them.

But crit chance are calculated only one time before firing all projectiles with barrage, so this last case shoulnd't work.

Does anyone know exatly how it work ?
"
shuruga2 wrote:
final damages = (damage main hand + damage off hand) * dual strike multiplier

No, it works a bit differently.

final damages = damage main hand * all damage bonuses * dual strike multiplier + damage off hand * all damage bonuses * dual strike multiplier

So, what the skill does is it calculates damage, crit and additional effects (like shock, freeze, stun...) for each hand separately and then sums the damage, applies it as one hit and also any effects that each hand procced. Right, it's a bit more complicated than others, Cleave works the same way when dual wielding and also Riposte.

Crit chance and accuracy for each weapon can be different, crit is rolled per skill use as a single number which may fall within crit range of just one weapon, or both. Crit confirmation and accuracy is rolled separately, though, so all combinations of 'crit, normal attack, miss' are possible.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Sep 1, 2015, 6:59:16 AM
Thanks Raic for your answer.

I'm ok with the information Raic is providing but my main question is different, let's make an exemple :
I use barrage lvl 1
One wand with 10% crit in main hand
One wand with 5% crit in off hand
0 point in the tree
0 crit bonus on gear

As Raic said, crit chance is rolled one time per skill then use as a single number.

Nothing expet my wand provide crit chances.
Barrage says that i'm firing with both my weapons.

So what's my base crit chance ?
10 ?
(10+5)/2 ?
5 or 10 at random ?

PS : Writing this provide me a way to test, I'll try it this night, but any answer is good to know :-).
It's both. Barrage alternates your weapons; the first shot has a 10% Crit threshold, the second shot 5%, then 10%, etc. etc.
You attack. Crit is rolled (1-100), and sets the Crit threshold at 8. 10 is higher than 8, and thus the main-hand Projectiles will Crit. 5 is below 8, and thus the off-hand Projectiles do not Crit.
Next attack, the Crit roll turns up a 72. Both 10 and 5 are below 72: you do not Crit.

Just as Raics said, only one number is rolled, and it's thus possible that only one weapon Crits.
For completeness' sake: Accuracy is rolled a second time upon landing a Crit, and if this 'Crit confirm' roll fails, the Crit is downgraded to a normal Hit instead.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 1, 2015, 7:57:17 AM
Ok, thank you !

I wasn't aware of the exact method a crit is calculated.

So if I want to maximise my chances to crit over many attacks with barrage the best way is not to use two wands, because the better wand is decreased by the other one.

The best way to maximise my crit chances over many attacks in 10 sec for exemple is to use the best of the two wands and a dagger with high global crit chance.

This ways, I still get the bonus from dual wielding (10% More Attack Speed, 20% More Attack Physical damage and 15% Block Chance + bonus in the tree), but i'm firing only with the best wand (because daggers can't firing with barrage) and I get the bonus from increased global critical strike chances on my dagger.

Right ? Or did I miss something ?
"
shuruga2 wrote:
Right? Or did I miss something?

Kinda, you forgot you aren't playing Torchlight :)

I don't know torchlight, but if this work as I think, it could be pretty strong because all the wand barrage + CoC build we can find are using two wands.

And they could be wrong.
almost.... except you can't wield a wand with a dagger (or any other weapon that is not a wand)
Ho, I have never try it. :-(

On the wiki skills usually said that if one of the weapon can't use the skill, the skill fire only with the weapon that works.

So I haven't see any reason for not wielding a wand and a dagger.
Right, and in Torchlight you can dual-wield anything, gun and sword - no problem, claw and wand - fine, and you can use all skills that require either of the two. I assumed you were still in Torchlight mode :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info