Proposal for a better map drop system

I appreciate GGG taking the time to reconsider how the mapping system works. It was horrendous during the beta, but eventually improved. That being said, I still feel GGG has failed to make a system that is fair as it could be and allows a player to progress into a tier that they belong in, at least in a manner that is consistent with their power growth.

I believe the system I'm proposing here is considerably more fair.

The current map drop system should remain the same in terms of being more difficult to build higher tier maps, however, a player who is able to solo very difficult maps should be rewarded for doing so by being able to essentially "unlock" map drops that are more favorable for progression.

How will this work?

A player who solo full clears every non-unique map of a level, let's say 76 for instance, with a minimum quantity of 100, without dying, unlocks a more favorable map drop distribution for maps run of that level.

Let's pretend the current likelihood of getting a map 2 levels or lower is 40%, a -1 map is 30%, same level is 20%, +1 is 10%, and +2 is 3%.

Once a player solo full clears 100+% quantity Gorge, Residence, Arid Lake, and Malformation WITHOUT dying within each map cleared, they unlock the following changed distribution for level 76 maps:

2 levels or lower is 30%, -1 map is 40%, same level 30%, +1 is 20%, and +2 is 5%.

Keep in mind these numbers are completely made up and only used for the purpose of showing an improvement in drops.

To prevent groups from exploiting this system by relying on one great solo player to run maps, the quantity of drops for each party member should be averaged. So for instance if two people are running maps together, only one of which has unlocked better map drops for that level, their map drop distribution would be:

2 levels or lower is 35%, -1 is 35%, same level 25%, +1 is 15%, and +2 is 4%.

Again, the numbers here are made up and in no way reflect how I think the distribution should actually be numerically. My hope is that GGG can take a suggestion like this seriously. About a week or two ago I just got bored of the game and have been playing other games. It seemed like some other 90+ level players in my guild were feeling the same way.

I have been quite satisfied with POE and the vast improvements and additions that have been made over the last few years, and overall my experience in this league was more fun than others, but unfortunately I stopped playing at about the same point in which I did the last 3 or so leagues: about a month into it. Rerolling is OK, but I was doing so much damage with my last character that I didn't want to reroll at all; I wanted to run higher level maps. Hopefully, you guys (GGG) can look into when the average player loses interest in a league, and try to understand exactly why. I know for me it's always been: I'm forced by the map drop system to run maps of a certain tier over and over again while my pool either grows painfully slowly, or slowly dissipates. This is not an issue of not knowing how to roll maps. I was rolling 100+ pretty consistently toward the end there before I just got bored out of my mind. In short, I want to want to play path of exile, but I just don't want to right now.

Also, thanks again for your production and maintenance of this game. It's been a lot of fun!
Last edited by UbyTuesday on Aug 27, 2015, 7:52:33 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
aw no comments yet :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info