Chris confirmed custom leagues are still considered and he asked for suggestions ! Here's mines.

"Are paid leagues with custom mods that people can privately have still something being thought about?

Yes, I'm very keen for this. We haven't yet worked out a timeline of when to schedule it for, but it's probably worth us soliciting feedback from the community so that we can find out what kind of options you guys would like."

From today's Q&A.

I made a thread asking for news and to give a few suggestions of few monthes ago :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/957196/page/1

Most of what i said is still up to date for me, but i will try to say it again properly.

For those who don't know about "custom leagues", it's a feature that GGG said would be available in the future. It was during closed beta. The REAL closed beta in 2011 ;). It was an awesome idea and it's partially what made me purchase a diamond supporter pack back in this time.
It would let us purchase a league by ourself and then invite anyone we want to play it. Like tempest or beyond but on a PRIVATE "realm", with a set of customizable options.

My suggestions :

All i'm going to suggest is obviously with the fact that everything from custom leagues WON'T go into regular public leagues. If we choose to have a duration on our leagues, then all the characters and items will end up in a "void league", the same way as chars from descent race end. Custom Leagues should NEVER interfere with any public leagues for obvious reasons. So please don't bother with the economy or advantages player would gain if they decide to pay for Custom Leagues as there won't be ANY advantages compared to standard/hc or temp leagues players. It's really obvious to me and should be for everyone else, so let's start suggesting \o/

To make those league popular and appealing, the number of options and possibilities have to be HUGE. People are complaining all the time they would prefer the game in this or this way with this or this feature. These Custom Leagues (CL from now on) would make everyone happy.
Here's a few options that would need to be available and moddable at any given time with a slider or togglable stuff :

XP rate : If a player decide to do a pvp tournament or anything with a set requiered level, we should be able to turn off all xp gains. Wanna do a lvl 1 twink to farm normal hillock ? Lock XP gain and go for it.
On the opposite, if someone wants to level faster than the regular way, we should have a slider for the XP multiplier from let's say 0 to 100 times more.
This would also apply to masters.

Drop rates : CL are for people that don't wanna bother with economy most likely so the drop rates everything in the game should be adjustable at will. Orbs, uniques, rares, jewels etc. A slider from 0 to 100 times could be an option once again.

Death penalty :
If someone wanna loose all of his current lvl when he dies, let him do so. If another one don't wanna loose anything, let him do also. If you wanna go back to lvl 1 after death then why not :)

Content access : Map drop rate is a really spiky topic. If we could adjust the drop of the maps or atziri fragments, then everyone would play as they like to.

Past temp leagues options: We should have the option to play with whatever settings we want with the features of the previous leagues, from the extreme to the none.
If you wanna feel the vanilla PoE experience again, then desactivate the exiles, strongboxes or bloodline mods.
If you want to replace every mobs by an invasion boss on top of 20 exiles per area then adjust these options and try to survive ;)

Monsters adjustement : I liked the short BLAMT races. I would like to play this again at any given time just for the fun with a couple of friends.
If your build have insane damage, buffing the HP of everything to be challenged could be fun also.We could also design our own leagues by adding fracture on every areas or any other map mods to the core game to boost the challenge and fun.

League Panel:To handle those mods, we need to have a clear and complete league option panel. At least for the owner of the league, or anyone having access to it. People need to invite or kick players easily, give or take back access to the panel etc. I'm talking about a loot filter rich panel but with a nooby friendly interface :)

General concerns :

Custom leagues would divide the community : Yes and no.
Yes because the players in those leagues won't directly interfere with the others.
No because those players are most likely the one playing either self found or that don't get involved in the chat/trading environment anyway.
And no also because that some people stop playing because of the current rules of the game they don't enjoy would come back and play. Play on their own sure but play. I prefer seeing people playing on their own CL than people not playing.

Being able to play the game in a "sandbox" mode would give you an advantage if you go on public leagues:Yes and no once again.
Yes because you could have access to a lot of things to do build tests on your CL, but at the same time, really rich players already do that on any leagues.
Having all the uniques and stacks of mirrors won't give you an epiphany about a game breaking build if you don't know how to use them :)

Being able to train with races settings would give an advantage for race seasons: Yes, you got a point here. It would be borderline pay to win i admit and i don't have a solution for this.
On the bright side, it would bring GGG some money if some people decide to purchase a league for training purpose.

It's all i have to say right now, i'll try to add more if i remember or think about other stuff.

In short, CL would bring some fresh air for EVERYONE. I don't see any downside or reason to not implement them. Having a sandbox is usually popular on any game, and CL could bring that on a controlled environment, and bring GGG some income at the same time. from the Ultra hardcore BLAMT invasion everywhere player to the casual one, all of us could find some good settings to fit our favorite playstyle.

Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
Last edited by Kagari on Aug 27, 2015, 6:50:51 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I was always excited about custom leagues myself, but I never once thought I'd actually get to play in one.

Why?

I'm willing to bet that GGG will charge upwards of $1000 USD to create a custom league for you and your friends. It's a large investment of time on GGG's part for a very small amount of players. GGG has to create the league, add players to an approved list for the league, change the league settings, add the league to either all servers (there are quite a few of them now) or to a specific server (which might be even harder) depending on the wishes of the buyer, and probably tons of other things as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a custom league. I just don't think the vast majority of players will ever get to see one, and therefore they probably won't be created for quite some time sadly.

I'd pay 4k flat out right now lol or even 10k the fuck ever.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Someone's rich?

With crowd funding, you could probably get the money together.

However, didn't they say "whatever you want, but not easier than standard"? If yes, that kinda kills it for me, because it would mean that map drop rates would be equally bad or worse in a custom league.

I would have a lot of ideas for a custom league.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Kagari wrote:

XP rate : If a player decide to do a pvp tournament or anything with a set requiered level, we should be able to turn off all xp gains. Wanna do a lvl 1 twink to farm normal hillock ? Lock XP gain and go for it.
On the opposite, if someone wants to level faster than the regular way, we should have a slider for the XP multiplier from let's say 0 to 100 times more.
This would also apply to masters.

Drop rates : CL are for people that don't wanna bother with economy most likely so the drop rates everything in the game should be adjustable at will. Orbs, uniques, rares, jewels etc. A slider from 0 to 100 times could be an option once again.
[/b]

Why limit 1-100? Why not a text box for an arbitrary value? If I want to pay to run a league where the mods are:

No Magic items drop
No Rare items drop
No Unique items drop
500,000% increased currency drop rate (so exalts and mirrors can actually drop in useful quantities)

Why can't I have that?

Other than that, this is a pretty good thread that I agree with.

EDIT: Extending that to being able to fiddle with individual currency drop rates would allow something like what I was proposing without the server-crashing amounts of items dropping.
Last edited by Hemmingfish on Aug 27, 2015, 11:18:09 AM
people who pay ridiculous amount of money for a half decent video game always surprised me :) keep believing buddy, after all these nerfs and weird balance choices not sure if custom leagues could offer something worth my time.
My_Bloody_Valentine
i doubt they'll be buffing drop rates or exp in these custom leagues.

But i would suggest making map mods and league types available.

Say, forking out $10 a month for having beyond league mod, of hordes, % increased magic monsters
That seems a bit to good to me so couple the map mods with a negative map mod or a choice of map mods.

Of course these custom leagues will never interact with the core game, if the sub stops the character is held in the void until it's deleted or you star the sub again.

Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
Maswasnos wrote:
I was always excited about custom leagues myself, but I never once thought I'd actually get to play in one.

Why?

I'm willing to bet that GGG will charge upwards of $1000 USD to create a custom league for you and your friends. It's a large investment of time on GGG's part for a very small amount of players. GGG has to create the league, add players to an approved list for the league, change the league settings, add the league to either all servers (there are quite a few of them now) or to a specific server (which might be even harder) depending on the wishes of the buyer, and probably tons of other things as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a custom league. I just don't think the vast majority of players will ever get to see one, and therefore they probably won't be created for quite some time sadly.

I don't think it would be that complicated for GGG to handle, as i see it more like guilds tbh ^^.
It's up to the buyer to approve who can or cannot join, as easy as a guild or even a friend list.

Maybe i'm wrong but i really don't think it would as high as 1000$ and as manpower heavy as you think.

@Hemmingfish : the value i gave are just random exemple. I like the idea of no items, only currency too, and that should be available.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
I expect CL would be subscription based, with a quota to fill to continue running. That way an individual could pay the full monthly quota, a group could crowd fund it, or the CL owner could pick up the difference after donations. Of course, payment would go directly to GGG to prevent bribes or profit from owning a CL.

If I could have my own, I'd want a league where enemy scaling into higher difficulties is made significantly harder, the white zombies on Twilight Strand in Cruel hitting for as much of your health as Hillock does in Normal. Scaling between normal, magic, and rare monsters would be made rather extreme, so diving into a blue pack means certain death, and it's a real choice whether you want to fight a rare or not. Dividing up enemy packs would be a must, and potion management would become a high point in strategy. To further this ideal, the CL would have the Attrition modifier, with flask levels and health persisting in town and even across logging in and out. I'd probably also lower the drop rate of magic and rare items significantly, to put a greater focus on crafting. Of course, dying would be permanent.

Yeah, I'm a sadist.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
"
Felix35071 wrote:
I expect CL would be subscription based, with a quota to fill to continue running. That way an individual could pay the full monthly quota, a group could crowd fund it, or the CL owner could pick up the difference after donations. Of course, payment would go directly to GGG to prevent bribes or profit from owning a CL.

If I could have my own, I'd want a league where enemy scaling into higher difficulties is made significantly harder, the white zombies on Twilight Strand in Cruel hitting for as much of your health as Hillock does in Normal. Scaling between normal, magic, and rare monsters would be made rather extreme, so diving into a blue pack means certain death, and it's a real choice whether you want to fight a rare or not. Dividing up enemy packs would be a must, and potion management would become a high point in strategy. To further this ideal, the CL would have the Attrition modifier, with flask levels and health persisting in town and even across logging in and out. I'd probably also lower the drop rate of magic and rare items significantly, to put a greater focus on crafting. Of course, dying would be permanent.

Yeah, I'm a sadist.

Better play self-found then lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info