Burn Proliferation Melee Templar (2/18/13)

Honestly I have no idea if this will work. I'm currently making this character on Hardcore because the build's passive tree is somewhat tanky.

Passive Skill Tree

Skill and Support Gems
  • Multiple Target
    • Heavy Strike + Elemental Proliferation + Chance to Ignite + Added Fire Damage + Increased Critical Strikes + Fire Penetration/Increased Critical Damage
    • Dual Strke + Elemental Proliferation + Chance to Ignite + Added Fire Damage + Increased Critical Strikes + Fire Penetration/Increased Critical Damage
  • Single Target
    • Infernal Blow + Added Fire Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage + Faster Attacks + Fire Penetration + Melee Damage on Full Life
    • Dual Strike + Added Fire Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage + Fire Penetration
  • Auras
    Anger + Wrath + Haste + Reduced Mana
  • Curses
    Flammability + Critical Weakness + Increased Area of Effect + Faster Casting
  • Utility
    Leap Slam + Faster Attacks (for mobility)
    Fire Trap + Concentrated Effect (for the hell of it)

Deal With the Bandits Quest Rewards
  • Normal
    Oak for +40 Base Maximum Life or Alira for +40 Base Maximum Mana.
  • Cruel
    Kill all for 1 Passive Skill Point.
  • Merciless
    Kill all for 1 Passive Skill Point.

The idea is to have high fire damage, decent critical strikes chance, high chance to ignite, a decent chance to shock, and Elemental Proliferation so that there is more than 50% chance on hit to spread burning damage.

You may wonder why I am take Heavy/Dual Strike instead of Infernal Blow for Elemental Proliferation. It's mainly because Infernal Blow explodes corpses with its killing hit, so there is no corpse to hold the burn or shock ailment to be used for Elemental Proliferation. Plus, if using dual sceptres, Dual Strike with quality has increased critical strike chance and uses both sceptres, where Infernal Blow only uses one.

Oh yeah, and I chose not to take Hatred for good reason. Shattering frozen enemies, like Infernal Blow, also means no Elemental Proliferation on their corpses, so that's a no go. Haste is more useful because of the obvious lack attack speed. I'm not sure if Clarity will be needed because of my fair Mana Regeneration rate and the Soul Siphon cluster, Discipline too. We'll see.

Depending on if the build is successful, I will put more information into this post like with my other build threads.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Feb 18, 2013, 11:16:54 AM
i was thinking of making something similar and i was also having some issues with main/aoe attack skills (which to choose).

i really wonder why you chose heavy strike/sweep though.

i have ended up with dual strike and dual whielding sceptres (~200%modifier instead of 150% of heavy strike + base +40% elemental damage from sceptre mods) and

infernal blow (obvious reasons). infernal blow may explode the initial target, BUT the explosion part is also consider a fire attack that can burn opponents, but my build had a lot +fire damage that yours doesn't have so yeah, for your build it wouldn't be that great.
You're right about dual wielding sceptres; that would definitely be better. I started thoerycrafting this build with staves in mind so that's why I stuck with them, but the higher attack speed, just about equal base critical strike chance, and higher base and increased elemental damage potential make much more sense with this build.

The reason I was thinking of going with Heavy Strike/Sweep is explained in the first post, but as it doesn't apply anymore I'll dump the explanation here:

"
You may also wonder why I am considering Heavy Strike and Sweep over Infernal Blow. It's mainly because Infernal Blow explodes corpses with its killing hit, so there is no corpse to hold the burn ailment to be used for Elemental Proliferation. Heavy Strike has a high damage so it will cause huge burn damage on one target with one stack, but Sweep hits multiple targets so it will cause more burn stacks but with lower damage and lower attack speed. This will require testing at a high level to determine the optimal choice.
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:

You may be asking, why take Leadership on the passive tree? Well the reason behind it is that Elemental Proliferation puts auras on enemies to spread the elemental status ailment. With the Leadership cluster's +50% Radius of Auras, there'll be a massive widening of burning damage.

I am pretty sure it does not scale off aura aoe size.
Can someone confirm?
"
colexian wrote:
Can someone confirm?

According to the game's semantics and terminology, I'm pretty sure it should.

I will do some asking to make sure if it does and should work, though.
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:
"
colexian wrote:
Can someone confirm?

According to the game's semantics and terminology, I'm pretty sure it should.

I will do some asking to make sure if it does and should work, though.

No, the game's "semantics" and terminology do not say elemental proliferation is an aura, nor does it say it causes an aura.

The wiki states that as of patch 0.9.12, Elemental Proliferation is only affected by "aoe increases" not aura aoe increases.
Iao.. you posted the builds links from alpha, us betas cant see them, i wanted to see what youre up too cause it sounds interesting
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Feb 13, 2013, 3:20:22 PM
"
colexian wrote:
No, the game's "semantics" and terminology do not say elemental proliferation is an aura, nor does it say it causes an aura.

The wiki states that as of patch 0.9.12, Elemental Proliferation is only affected by "aoe increases" not aura aoe increases.

Elemental Proliferation spreads the ailments with auras, and is affected by the Increased Area of Effect Radius modifier. Therefore, the Increased Area of Effect Radius for Auras should work, if that is what "Increased Radius of Auras" is shorthand for (this is unclear and why I also question it). From the support gem's feedback thread:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Elemental Proliferation is changing the elemental status ailments you put on monsters from being single-target debuffs to auras. If the monster isn't there anymore, any auras on it, including elemental proliferation, can't be spread.
same name in-game
"
VictorDoom wrote:
Iao.. you posted the builds links from alpha, us betas cant see them, i wanted to see what youre up too cause it sounds interesting

My mistake.

Edit: Fixed.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Feb 13, 2013, 3:24:31 PM
well the idea behindd it is sweet, but you sure you have enough critical strike chance to proliferate at a nice rate?

Also, the life part seems kinda low for HC not sure if its enough of it
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info