[2.0.2 Warbands] CI - Whispering Ice + Emberwake + Pyre

Introduction
Hi, this is my first build guide so feel free to leave any comments, questions, or suggestions!

The basis of the build is the Emberwake Ring. We use it to deal massive amounts of burn damage on targets. I use whispering ice as my main damage ability as well as pyre to convert it to fire. I feel icestorm is the right skill to use due to it's high amount of hits and crazy scaling (imo best scaling ability for aoe spell).

THIS IS A SOFTCORE BUILD

I have not tested this build on HC and it could work, however some passive tree changes may be beneficial.

Passive skill tree
Spoiler
Level 75 end game Build
http://poeurl.com/zwGH3M1

Level 100 GG build
http://poeurl.com/zwGHWl9

In the jewel socket heading to foresight put in an "Energy From Within" jewel to convert melding to pure ES.

In the skill tree we do not grab the main cold wheel because cold penetration does not help us.
Ghost reaver and zealot's oath are defensive options but I do not personally use them. I feel a high amount of ES with 3 endurance charges are enough defenses for softcore.

My Gear
Spoiler

Recommended Gear
Spoiler
Armour
Spoiler
For gear, you need the whispering ice staff, emberwake ring, and pyre ring to get started. THESE ARE MANDATORY.

On the rest of your gear prioritize Max Res > ES = INT > Mana > Ele Weak Res.

Personally I use Asenath's gloves to temp chains on hit. The corrupt you would want is ele weak on hit to increase both the original hit damage and the burn damage. You could alternatively just use another gloves with one of these corrupts and single curse.

Flasks
Spoiler
I use 2 granites, 2 mana flasks, and one quicksilver.

The granites should have one of the two non-crit recovery methods, either charge recovery or increased charges. It is nice for at least one of your flasks to have armour.

For mana flasks, I like to use catalysed because we use mana so fast.

For the quicksilver should have either charge recovery or increased charges with the suffix being remove curses.

For suffixes on the mana flasks and the leftover granite I use remove shock, remove freeze, and remove bleed. You could drop the remove shock for another iron skin but I don't find the extra armour necessary and remove shock is nice.

Gems
Spoiler
Auras
Spoiler
The auras I use are Herald of Ice, Arctic Armour, and Discipline. I use herald of ice because we are scaling both cold and fire and pyre converts it. This means it does the most dmg out of any herald. If you'd prefer, you could swap for lightning to add some diversity.

This reserves 80% of my mana. This means mana is an important resource. Because of this, mana on gear does matter. If you have the currency for it supporting these by an enlighten gem would help our mana a lot. If you have one, you could drop one or maybe both of the mana flasks used.

Supports
Spoiler
For support gems, there are 9 options: Increased Burning Damage, Chance to Ignite, Increased AOE, Increased Duration, Spell Echo, Faster Casting, Conc. Effect, Fire Penetration, and Ele Prolif.

Since WI's change, we need increased duration. Faster casting and spell echo are obvious choices. The majority of our ignite chance comes from the support gem so that is a requirement as well.

This leaves us with two slots for 5 gems. Personally, I use increased burning damage and increased aoe, swapping inc aoe for conc. for boss fights. Feel free to use any 2 of these 5 gems.

Movement
Spoiler
For movement, use lightning warp with faster casting and reduced duration.

Defences
Spoiler
Use enduring cry + immortal call + vaal disc + increased duration + faster casting. Use enduring cry to keep endurance charges at 3 and vaal disc as well as immortal call as OH %&$# casts.

Golem
Spoiler
I use the chaos golem. The defenses are nice, not much else to say. If you prefer damage, go ahead and use the fire golem.

Leftover gems
Spoiler
You may notice that with the three auras, the golem, the defenses, the support gems, and the movement gems we have some leftover slots. Overall, you have 7 slots left. Use these to level other gems or maybe add some QOL gems. Examples of these would be running both flame dash and lightning warp and using ele res and life on your golem.

Bandits
Spoiler
Personally I take all the skill points. You could alternatively get the cast speed and/or the endurance charge.

DPS
Spoiler
Please note these calculations are for my level 75 char using asenath's with no corrupt and only 550 int. This is his skill tree: http://poeurl.com/zwATyzp

We use the formula "(pi*(10*a+2)^2)/(pi*(25*a)^2) where a = 0.9 (our aoe modifier) to determine that ~24% of icestorm shots hit

(AID * 10 * .24) * (Duration / Cast Time) This is the damage for just the base hits. My calculation with my current build is 25.3k DPS not including ignites

For ignites we take the same thing to calculate hits per second first. We are going to call this X. This represents the amount of ignites we will have on the target after we stack up our icestorms.

(10 * .24) * (Duration / Cast Time)) * chance to ignite * ignite duration = X

Now to calculate the damage we will deal.

(AID * .2 (burn deals 1/5 of the original hits damage) * (1 - (1-(increased burning damage * .2 (emberwake penalty)) + increased fire damage + increased damage + increased elemental damage + increased damage over time * area damage) * X = Burn DPS

The calculation for my char's returns 86.5k ignite dps

This means adding them together that my level 75 char with only 550 int is doing a total of 111.8k sustained DPS against bosses. This also is not accounting for herald of ice damage, a fire golem, or additional jewel stats.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros
High Small AOE DPS on bosses
Can continue ahead while icestorms finish enemies off
Can be used while leveling
Applies both chill and temp chains on hit
Crazy single-target with conc
Giant AOE withn inc. aoe

Cons
Low int for WI build
Low single-target without conc
Requires 2 semi-expensive uniques to get started
Needs mana investment

Video
Spoiler
Keep in mind this is a level 75 character with only 550 int. Optimised gear could be significantly higher dps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2pX7yiheSM

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed :)
Last edited by Phelnax on Aug 28, 2015, 6:06:38 PM
First thing first, we would like to see some video run of your build, mate. 550 int is really low for WI build so I'm a bit curious to see how it will do in real run.
Edit
Added a video.
Added a pros and cons section.
"
IntroductionNow to calculate the damage we will deal.

(AID * .2 (burn deals 1/5 of the original hits damage) * .2 (emberwake penalty) * increased burning damage * increased fire damage * increased damage * increased elemental damage * increased damage over time) * X = Burn DPS

Increases are additive not multiplicative.
Burning damage might be much lower than you thought.

The assumption that a third of the icestorm shards are gonna hit a boss seems too high i think.
Edit
Fixed DPS Calc error
Edit
Lowered level of end game build
Slight changes to lvl 100 build
Edit
Now that lightning warp works with reduced duration again it is now the prioritized move skill.
Fixed more calculation errors.
Added a "My Gear" section
Last edited by Phelnax on Aug 27, 2015, 9:38:49 PM
Edit
Added flasks to "My Gear"
Hi nice idea

I have come up with a similar build, not made a guide yet, but with 2 very important changes!

You need to replace "Pyre" with "The_Taming"!
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Taming

And that rare helmet with the "The Three Dragons"!
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Three_Dragons

This will massively increase the dmg output!

The 3 dragons make cold ignite and the taming will incresse dmg for every ignite!

The longer the fight the more dmg you put out!

Implement it in your build, if you like just give em credit :-)

If you like you build as is, i would then suggest getting "Black Sun Crest" with 15% int
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Black_Sun_Crest

That is massive!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info