Map drops are still a big problem

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:
"
Miská wrote:
Spoiler
I maintained my current map pool by myself. It required alot of maps, and not skipping tiers like most people want to. What i see from my own guild, is 1. People don't bother trying to build up a map pool but rather just run whatever and hope for the best. 2. They skip maps that they don't like.

I think the problem with mapping is not specifically map drops. They are there. It's mostly the lack of knowledge of how to build up your map pool. And perhaps the reluctancy of players to actually invest in their map pool with chisels/alchs/chaos.

I'm sorry, but i see people here being stuck at 71 maps. You should ask some advice how to run maps, and build up a pool.
This whole argument was made countless times and it was also refuted countless times. It is very ballsy statement to claim that people do not know how to roll maps. Rolling maps in 2.0 is not a science, in fact it is very simple--you aim for as much quantity and pack size as possible. You also look for more magic monsters and to less extent more rare monsters. The issue is not how to roll maps but to sustain the currency needed to get those super high rolls. There is no way you will be doing heavy map rolling below lvl75+ because it is cheaper to run white or just alched-and-go maps and buy more maps with saved currency.
You clearly do not understand how to roll low/mid maps, and most people do not. They just spam currency until they're broke and then QQ. Like how Texas Holdem changes when you go from 8 players to heads-up, rolling mid maps properly is actually more difficult than high ones because you can't sum it up with a stupid easy "aim for this" statement.

I love how often the argument of ''you don't know how to roll maps'' comes up. Here is how I roll my maps. I go to a crossroad, sacrifice a black sheep and a buck (very important!!!) , whisper a few incantations before praising the mighty RNG god and then finally chisel,alch,chaos,vaal the map. Anyone else not repeating the same process does not know how to roll maps

/sarcasm
"
andreicde wrote:
and then finally chisel,alch,chaos,vaal the map.
On 73 maps that is NOT the correct procedure. The main mistake players make rolling low-to-mid maps is investing too much currency.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 27, 2015, 12:33:21 PM
This maps drops is EVEN WORSE than was before patch. They are making fun of us. :-(
Taken from the Q&A

"
Would you consider changing the map system to give us the option to run low level maps with a higher level (kinda like Zana, but in a doing it yourself-way via the map device: E.g. put in a mountain ledge on the left side and a torture chamber on the right and you get a lvl 74 mountain ledge. Let's you get rid of low level maps and still requires finding the high level ones.)?

At face value, this is a cool idea. However, we want people to run a variety of map types as they have a variety of different challenges. Being able to run high-level versions of the same lower tileset over and over would become boring a lot faster. There may be another way to achieve the same goals, without the repetition.

Can the bold part possibly be read as "there is a way to increase map level but you end up with a random map" ? Or is this just alluding to the fact that combining maps leads to a higher level map of a different tileset?

Having the ability to increase map level to 79+ would be a godlike currency maker..... it would rival even the +3 fiasco if the costs aren't prohibitive. Guess I have to try a bunch of crap combinations out at the map device again.

( sound in the distance )
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
"
Kastmar wrote:
This maps drops is EVEN WORSE than was before patch. They are making fun of us. :-(

Their Q&A says though that they are very happy with the map drops in 2.0.2.

Well, GGG, let me tell you this: We are not.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Char1983 wrote:
"
Kastmar wrote:

End game is practically Lv. 85-90 because you are forced to play 72-73 maps. So no progress at all.
"
Kastmar wrote:
"
Char1983 wrote:
"
Kastmar wrote:

End game is practically Lv. 85-90 because you are forced to play 72-73 maps. So no progress at all.

You can go higher too, but the grind is massive. I have some guildies higher than 90 and they are debating on quitting since they have to grind so many low level maps and frustrated also with the unexpected deaths happening sometimes (the lovely 1 shot mechanics)
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
andreicde wrote:
and then finally chisel,alch,chaos,vaal the map.
On 73 maps that is NOT the correct procedure. The main mistake players make rolling low-to-mid maps is investing too much currency.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:
... Rolling maps in 2.0 is not a science, in fact it is very simple--you aim for as much quantity and pack size as possible. You also look for more magic monsters and to less extent more rare monsters. >>> drums and here we come >>> There is no way you will be doing heavy map rolling below lvl75+ because it is cheaper to run white or just alched-and-go maps and buy more maps with saved currency.
You clearly do not understand how to roll low/mid maps, and most people do not. They just spam currency until they're broke and then QQ. Like how Texas Holdem changes when you go from 8 players to heads-up, rolling mid maps properly is actually more difficult than high ones because you can't sum it up with a stupid easy "aim for this" statement.

So, you came to conclusion I do not know how to roll maps because you failed to read my whole post where I clearly said you are in no way going to "roll" maps with large amount of currency. I said that map rolling is not difficult because it is not. There are very clear factors you want to maximize and that is about it. The main challenge is to sustain the currency needed to roll maps.

The whole map drop situation is even worse at mid-tier level because you should be buying your maps rather than running them. Alch-and-go style on 72 and 73 is the way to go because any Scoure/Alch or Chaos in addition to the initial one is wasted due to fact you can buy 2 or 3 maps of that level for that currency. The issue is I want to play Path of Exile ARPG not Path of PoE.Trade simulator....
I myself have a level 86 duelist with who I mapped with from 68 on. I was transmuting everything till I got some 70-73 maps. Okay I got to level 78/79 where I ran these maps with ease and started chisel + alching some. I got 8 74, 4 75 and 2 76 maps or so. But I don't know I rarely if ever progress much beyond 74 despite alching most of my maps.

To the people questioning if the end game sucks: the biggest flaw is that level 70 maps contain harder bosses than 80 + maps (*ahem* Museum bosses *ahem* phantasmagoria).

Well, GGG, let me tell you this: We are not.[/quote]
End game is practically Lv. 85-90 because you are forced to play 72-73 maps. So no progress at all.[/quote]

You can go higher too, but the grind is massive. I have some guildies higher than 90 and they are debating on quitting since they have to grind so many low level maps and frustrated also with the unexpected deaths happening sometimes (the lovely 1 shot mechanics)[/quote]

You shouldn't put monsters gain power charges and increased critical strike chance + multiplier on one map though, you can expect one shots. Same with some damage mods you have to play very careful.

If you die to oneshots from non boss mobs in maps with a 90+ character you build your character completely wrong or you stood in something like a couple of bearers packs their explosion.

Getting 8% experience from 74-75 at 86 is still reasonably fast as it only takes about 2.5-3 hours to run and roll 12 maps, probably faster (I have 18k tooltip dps on icecrash).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info