Can you farm for specific items in this game?

Hi all, new player here: Kace

I’ve played games like everquest where you can farm certain mobs or bosses for specific drops. Can we do that here?

After looking around at the class forums I’ve picked a reave ranger as my 1st char. I'm level 36 atm and it is a lot of fun so far (many thanks to ZiggyD and his videos)

But, I have no clue where to find the Brightbeak or Laviangas Wisdom for my ranger. Is the drop location for these 2 weapons completely random?

I’ve found out that they are level 20 items. Does this mean they can only drop in that level area or can they drop anywhere and anytime in any area no matter the player level?

The wiki is awesome but I could not find any reference to drop locations for weapons and gear.

Thanks for any help
peace
Drops are completly random, the only restriction is the level of the item determining the minimum level of the zone it can drop(so for brightbeak u need to farm at least a lvl 20 zone)

If u want specific items, u most likely going to have to trade for them

Laviangas Wisdom is pretty common and shouldn't be to expensive...
Last edited by SlayerII on Aug 8, 2015, 11:11:34 AM
You can certainly increase your odds of finding certain things. But, the best way to get a specific item is farming and buying. This is even true for divination cards and they are designed to be farmable.
Trading is very active in this game and easy. Collect every single bit of currency that you can (these are items that have gold-leaf color), there is a complex hierarchy of currencies, some of which are actively sought by players, and that's where most of your trading for specific items will occur.

That said, good drops will occur just playing through the game, but they are almost all purely random and limited mostly by the zone you're in. Recently, a new item has been added to the game, the Divination Card, it's like a collectible that rewards whatever is pictured on the card after you've collected the requisite number of cards (e.g., "3x Chaos Orb"). These cards actually drop in specific zones and thus can be farmed. They are very low probability drops, and currency drops have level limits, so it's not like EQ where anyone could slay The Grand Smedley and hope for a Grand Foozle of Smedley to drop.
Man does not stop playing because he grows old. He grows old because he stops playing. - Oliver Wendell Holmes
thank you all for the info.. i just found this info on the forums as well>>>

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/475284

"
World Drops - Unique items can be found as random drops from monsters and breakables just the same as any other item. Normal monsters drop items with an /itemlevel equal to the zone level, Magic monsters drop items with /itemlevel at zone level +1, Rare/Unique monsters drop items with /itemlevel at zone level +2.
For example: If a unique item requires lvl 50 to equip that means it can be dropped by all monsters in lvl 50 zones or higher, dropped by Magic monsters and above in lvl 49 zones, and dropped by Rare or Unique monsters in lvl 48 zones.

= random per the level of the zone, thanks all
I think there are some bosses or areas you can 'farm' at least to some degree, for example Dominus seem to drop more rings and amulets than he would.

It may be that each mob type or area has a number of specific items they drop, for example Atziri certainly has, but the difference is marginal at best for anything before then...

You can 'farm' Divination Cards, but they're on a very long time scale, at least for the very rare items. You'll not get a very rare item in a few days :-p
If for example running Docks, you'll get regular drops of 'Jack in the Box', which when you have enough can be traded in for a random unique.
You can't farm a specific item per say. You can alter your chances for a specific item.

Example: You want to farm Brightbeak.

Brightbeak is level 20.

Go to a level 20 zone. Not 21 or higher.

Each zone will have a differing amount of base items that can drop. The amount of base items that can drop depends on the zone level.

So by farming only level 20 zone you are excluding the chances of any higher level items from dropping. Lowering the range of item drops naturally increases the average of a specific drop.
<3 Free Tibet <3
Brightbeak isn't the best item for that build. It's just a good weapon that's fairly easy to get for leveling.
Patch 2.0 added better weapons for that build and ZiggyD discussed them in his video.

With that in mind, I wouldn't put too much effort into getting a brightbeak. If you find one cheap, it's gravy.
Finding one of the other more rare weapons would be my focus.

Make a loot filter that shows the base item (don't worry about sockets, 3-link is easier than getting the item in the first place).
Carry Chance Orbs around with you.
Chance the white item, when one drops.
Vendor the rares unless they are an upgrade
Drop the blues back onto the ground, unless you have bag space and are headed to town already.

This is the best way to farm a unique, IMO.
Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info