Vaal Orb Math

Hello, I'm busy trying to roll some specific mods into some items using Vaal Orbs.

I'm just curious how the math works.

For example:

Equipment

1: No effect (other than adding the corrupted property).

2: Change one or more sockets to white sockets. This has a 1/4 chance of occurring, with a 1/10 chance for each additional socket (1/40 for two, up to 1/400000 for 6 white sockets).

3: Reroll the item into a rare item with randomized sockets, links and six random affixes. If this result is chosen, there is a one in thirty-six chance the item will have the maximum number of sockets and links.

4: Change the implicit to a special Vaal Implicit, or adds a Vaal implicit if the item has no implicit by default.

Does this mean each option is a flat 25% chance? or is each of the 4 options weighted? Like option 1 is 50%

The next question is the implicits.

If an item type, say boots, has 9 potential implicits are they all equally likely? or are their likelihoods scaled?

Just trying to determine how many amulets I'm going to need to Vaal roughly in order to get +1 curse :)
Seriously doubt the implicits are weighted equally.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
It's a pretty low chance (poedb says <1%) if you're trying to hit it with any given attempts. The best way to go about getting corrupted items is to either: Buy the item yourself (guaranteed results), or if that's not available, craft it by just mass-corrupting whatever you can find. The key is to have the corrupt target as cheap as possible so that you keep the overall costs down. The new Inventor card is awesome for this because it makes it really easy to pick up massive amounts of vaal orbs without paying too much through currency exchangers that take advantage of the orb's scarcity by giving a really bad ratio (seriously, people who are buying are always buying like 2:1c, people who are selling are always selling for 1:2c).

Good luck at any rate. Corrupting does work though; just about all of my characters run corrupted curse-on-hit items, and my Warbands character even managed to corrupt a decent amulet for +1 curse. Just be prepared to fill a stash tab or two with failed results.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info