Traps and Mines - Why so ineffective? (Plz GGG Read This)

Hello people,
I've built a toon to test a full trap&mine based build. I thought I wouldn't last act 2, but surprinsingly I could make it to act 4, but I have some complaints after playing this build for some hours:

1. The biggest issue for traps are by far the non-reducible recharge time (i.e. the 3s recharge time on fire trap). This heavily affects the usage of traps, and causes them to fall really behind when it comes to major damage dealing. Mines are way way ahead of them on these terms.

2. The support Trap gem is somewhat buggy. I wanted to do some crazy damages with a Trap-triggered Desecrate, but sometimes it fails to activate. Actually it fails pretty often. This caused some disappointment for me since desecrate AoE damage should be massive in my gameplay, but it is terrible instead.

3. Bear Trap duration on rares/bosses is ridiculous. They should be the basic set up skill for my rotation, but instead it became a situational trap.
3. Trap/Mines node circles are just absurdly scattered. My PST seems like a drunken spider web. I had to choose lots of short paths in order to reach the best notables, and thus my character became very squishy.

4. The detonate mine skill also doesn't works sometimes. It seems to fail to activate the last placed mines when the time interval between them and the old ones is big.

5. Mine casting range. As stated before, mines are my main source of damage, but they are melee cast range. This means that I need to facetank everything in order to place them. And yeah, with the damage output of most act bosses (Dominus and Malachai the most proeminent) it is EXTREMELY TROUBLESOME. I probably won't get past Daresso Dream because of this, and even if I do, I'm sure it is going to be absurdly hard and unrewarding. Even with smoke mine, you still have to facetank some damage if you want to deal significant amounts of damage with the mines.

I built this char with the intent to build a Shadow true to his vein: Dirty, untouchable, deceiving, and unexpected. A trap/mine build should fulfill the Shadow fame to the maximum, but instead the gameplay is actually retarded, unrewarding and absolutely inneficient.

I know my build is probably between the one of the least popular ones, but, if GGG does something about it, it could make the build extremely funny and beautiful to play with.

Here are my suggestions on to cover some of the complaints above:

a. Add some passive nodes/items that reduce trap recharge time. Like, seriously. This is by far the biggest issue with the trap game.

b. Fix the trap gem/detonate mine activation bugs.

c. Do something about mine casting range. Or increase the amount of mines placed, or mine placement speed (Like the unique staff does)

d. Add a trap/mine keystone. And, for god sake, decrease the distance between trap/mine passive node circles, it is disgusting atm.

Kind regards,

The TrapMaster

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
i'm playing currently a trapper build. Ranger Crit Trapper. I use bear trap, fire trap, lightning trap and ice nova in trap. So the damage is correct and i've been able to reach act 4 merciless. I find mines painful and slow so i prefer to use traps. I think you spotted the problem with mines, you need to facetank everything in order to kill things so you put yourself in trouble many times.

Right now, to survive, i'm always moving around mobs and so far this strategy work great almost everytime. I invested also in movement speed and this really help my survivability.

You are right on the non-reducible recharge time. They should add keystone(s) to reduce it.

I'm also using these uniques :

I only use bear trap as boss killer, right now it do 8k dps without crit. Bear trap in other situation are no very usefull i think.

Overall, trapper builds are really fun but they are not as easy to play/build as other builds.

PS: sorry for my english.
▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊(◕‿◕)▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊▊
"
1franck wrote:
i'm playing currently a trapper build. Ranger Crit Trapper. I use bear trap, fire trap, lightning trap and ice nova in trap. So the damage is correct and i've been able to reach act 4 merciless. I find mines painful and slow so i prefer to use traps. I think you spotted the problem with mines, you need to facetank everything in order to kill things so you put yourself in trouble many times.

Right now, to survive, i'm always moving around mobs and so far this strategy work great almost everytime. I invested also in movement speed and this really help my survivability.

You are right on the non-reducible recharge time. They should add keystone(s) to reduce it.

I'm also using these uniques :

I only use bear trap as boss killer, right now it do 8k dps without crit. Bear trap in other situation are no very usefull i think.

Overall, trapper builds are really fun but they are not as easy to play/build as other builds.

PS: sorry for my english.

Yeah, someone that feels me! :)

Yeah, mine placement facetank is really terrible.I've been trying to place them cleverly but it's mostly unsuccessful due to poor environmental topology/monster aggro issues. The latter is the main reason, since 80% of the time I fail when I attempt to lure rares/uniques/bosses to clusters of mines, they else take 2 much time moving to the spot or the aggro seems to get a soft reset and they just stand. On both cases the "Clever Construction" grace period ends and my mines end up being slain. I've Deerstalker and some trap/mine jewels. Looking for Sunblast and the lvl 45 unique staff that greatly increase mine efficiency :)

Again, the recharge time... that's something that needs serious attention. If GGG does something about it I would be already 50% happier!
imo, elemental traps feel very skill shot right now. damage feels good, and when my traps go off I have plenty of traps, but some mob hit boxes are hard to hit with traps, and the pathing to get power charges and trap trigger radius (one trap trigger radius?, and it isn't a notable) and clever construction does leave much to be desired.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Aug 3, 2015, 12:29:31 PM
"
LostForm wrote:
imo, elemental traps feel very skill shot right now. damage feels good, and when my traps go off I have plenty of traps, but some mob hit boxes are hard to hit with traps, and the pathing to get power charges and trap trigger radius (one trap trigger radius?, and it isn't a notable) and clever construction does leave much to be desired.

Yeah, there's a lot of small things that need to be improved. And the trigger radius thing+mob hitboxes is something that is really annoying sometimes, hence the trap+desecrate activation "bug" I mentioned before. Also, another thing that is really weird is that the Multiple Traps gem lays traps in a straight line. I think that would be much better if it lays traps in a triangular pattern.

I had an idea to cover the Mine Placement issue, with a Keystone:

"
Keystone(Safe Spotting):Reduces mines AoE by 30%, but greatly increases casting range.

The latter could be inserted as a standalone skill after a mine improvement passive circle, such as Ancestral Bond one.
Last edited by malmeida on Aug 4, 2015, 10:09:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info