Shield Charge

Why doesn't Shield Charge break crates on direct hits?

Supporting with Melee Splash and Shield Charging a monster standing next to crate will cause the splash damage to break crate, but targeting the crate with a direct Charge will not.

Very annoying.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Could the skill gain an increased phys per level like all other melee skills do?

It gains 7% More Damage per level up. It really doesn't need yet more damage bonuses :/

Only if moving. If you plan to use shield charge as your main attack (was useful pre-accuracy change) or with multistrike, you end up doing damage with no bonus from the movement. Knockback is only 4 units without the fending cluster and afaik screen distance is 80 from centre to side, 120 centre to corner, so if max charge distance is 120 then multistrike hits after the first gain only 6.92% more damage from knockback distance with a level 20 SC. If max distance is 80 then that's a upped to 14%. With the fending cluster that's 14% at 120 or 21% at 80.

Compared to other melee weapon skills that usually gain 3/4% increased physical damage per level, giving a total of 57/76% increased phys damage by level 20. So unless you deal mostly elemental/chaos damage SC doesn't scale very well, especially now that the niche of always hitting is gone. Note that the more damage per level of SC is lowered to 2% past level 15, so the last 5 levels only give 10% more damage. No clue why that is. The flat 15% damage increase from quality does however bring SC up to dealing a pretty significant amount of damage, though if you can get ahold of a 20% SC gem... well.

Would be nice to hear from mark what the exact unit measurement of "maximum charge distance" is. Also as to whether or not the more damage from charge distance is only calculated once for multistrike attacks.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Jun 28, 2013, 12:00:03 AM
"
Wooser69 wrote:
so if max charge distance is 120 then multistrike hits after the first gain only 6.92% more damage from knockback distance with a level 20 SC.

Then maybe Multistrike's a pretty bad choice for Shield Charge. The thing SC does good is deliver strong hits with one-handers; without getting any distance in it doesn't even accomplish that. Why use it at all, at that point. Just grab Heavy or Infernal.

The way I use it, I never chain on a single target if there are multiple dudes, because that gets you far better damage per hit at only a small decrease in hit rate. Insert reference to Pinball Wizard here.

"
Wooser69 wrote:
Compared to other melee weapon skills that usually gain 3/4% increased physical damage per level, giving a total of 57/76% increased phys damage by level 20. So unless you deal mostly elemental/chaos damage SC doesn't scale very well

This makes no sense at all. Shield Charge grants a stronger damage bonus than any other skill except Heavy Strike (150% Damage Effectiveness is hilarious), so clearly it doesn't scale well with Physical? Or something?
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jun 28, 2013, 2:52:04 PM
My point is that before the accuracy change there was a reason to use SC as a main attack, so you'd be using it like heavy strike. I know I can just use a different skill instead and take RT/accuracy nodes but I'll miss my no accuracy no RT shield chargin'.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Shield Charge receives no Frame-time bonus from attack speed.

Supporting it with Multistrike only causes the character move speed (Mach 10 speed I might add) to increase but the frame-time on the actual shield bash doesn't change one bit.

Intentional? If so there is currently no reason whatsoever to support SC with any attack speed gem/gear.

Edit : I'm going to assume this is not intentional as Chill actual slows down the attack frame on the bash itself.

Can anyone else confirm?
IGN Suojata
Last edited by CNKalmah on Jul 10, 2013, 10:27:59 PM
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Would be nice to hear from mark what the exact unit measurement of "maximum charge distance" is. Also as to whether or not the more damage from charge distance is only calculated once for multistrike attacks.
full bonus for "max charge distance" is 60+ units. Each repetition of the attack deals it's own damage based, on the length of that charge.
Please make it work with unarmed. :)
Behind you!
So I was playing around with Shield Charge. I also watched Kripp's stream, he made a Shield Charge/Double Strike Melee Splash Crit Dagger Shadow on Anarchy.

So as far as I know, Shield Charge works like this:

If you hold the button on an enemy, it attacks the same target until it dies, and then targets the ground at the cursor.

If you click on the ground, it doesn't hit anything, you just travel to cursor, even if there are monsters near the destination, you don't deal damage. If you hold the button after clicking on the ground (or after you killed an enemy), it just travels around, you can't attack enemies, even if you mouse over them. If you misclick, you don't do damage. Even if you have Melee Splash, it doesn't do anything to nearby enemies.

This is kinda bad. It's really easy to miss the targets. You can even misclick (click on the ground), if you're in the middle of a group, and spam click; then it could be even lethal. With other attacks, if you hold the button down, move around, and you "attack the air", it targets a nearby enemy; so if you're in range, you can't miss enemies like that.

Shield Charge should target a mob in melee range at the destination, if we didn't target anything (or when we hold down the button). We could just spam click, or hold the button, and if there's an enemy nearby, it'd hit.

There's a little bug with Shield Charge, when the cursor is near the character, it shows the animation multiple times, usually when the character rotates. Formerly you could do this, but I think they already fixed that (you can't do it infinitely anymore) (you can still do the things I did before 0:10, but you can't do the thing at 0:40). It doesn't do any damage (because you target nothing, you hold down the button), but before they fixed the above bug, it drained the mana fast, so it actually casted the spell many times. I don't know if it still does that, when you click near the character, it rotates, and shows the animation multiple times. Maybe it's just a visual bug now, I don't know. But if it actually casts the spell multiple times, and if they implement my suggestion, they must fix the bug, because it'd do a lot of damage, when it bugs out. Maybe that's why it does no damage if we don't target enemies now, so we can't abuse the bug.
Last edited by petden on Jul 12, 2013, 2:30:23 PM
"
petden wrote:
If you click on a mob, it cannot miss, it always hits the target.

Nope. SC has to pass an Accuracy roll now.

"
petden wrote:
Even if you have Melee Splash, it doesn't do anything to nearby enemies.

Melee Splash only triggers when a Hit is made. This is how it works with every skill.

Wouldn't mind a bit of auto-target though; it's quite easy to whiff it :/
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Nope. SC has to pass an Accuracy roll now.

Yeah, you're right, sorry, I was looking at the wiki, fixed my post, thanks.

Edit: I just fixed the wiki too :d.
Last edited by petden on Jul 12, 2013, 2:55:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info