scrap gear : transfer of gear mods

dear devs: has any thought been put into the possiblity of gear mod transfer ?

thought is the donor item is sacrificed to tranfer a -single- mod.

this way if you find gear you cannot even seem to give away but has at least one useful trait,you could enhance your current loadout with it.

balance is a nonissue,just asking if a similar feature is slated as 'possible'

alternate question: are gear mods going to be completely different from those on gems,or will there be some crossover ?
Last bumped on Mar 18, 2013, 1:41:57 PM
this sounds pretty similar to the retirement system in torchlight. i noticed that you can level a char fairly quickly in torchlight, so retiring a character isn't really a big issue. however, if it takes quite some time to level a character on here, it almost seems like this option wouldn't be utilized all that often (who wants to sacrifice a char they've put 200 hours into building?)

i think it would really be an issue of how long does it take to level to the point where they can pass down an item. i think torchlight called these legacy items or something like that......
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
I don't think hes talking about sacrificing a character, hes saying being able to break down an item, take one of its modifiers and put it on another item.

There are definitely some things that would have to be sorted out like how many mods can an item have put on it, but I wouldn't be too opposed to this kind of thing, it would definitely help out with my min/maxing nature of piecing together the perfect items for my build, its kind of like crafting, but in multiple stages.
"
vahss3 wrote:
dear devs: has any thought been put into the possiblity of gear mod transfer ?

thought is the donor item is sacrificed to tranfer a -single- mod.

this way if you find gear you cannot even seem to give away but has at least one useful trait,you could enhance your current loadout with it.

balance is a nonissue,just asking if a similar feature is slated as 'possible'

I like the fact that you're trying to come up with solutions to items that people don't need. We've been putting a lot of thought into the same area, and are definitely interested to hear every suggestion.

My concern with this specific solution is that being able to pinpoint-add specific mods to your items is actually a very powerful ability. In an economy where this function could be done to any item you encounter, you'd quickly get people converging on close-to-perfect items within a few weeks.

We definitely want to encourage people to optimise their items, but powerful mechanics like this one would have to be relatively difficult to perform. Any ideas for how that could be balanced?

"
vahss3 wrote:
alternate question: are gear mods going to be completely different from those on gems,or will there be some crossover ?

We try to make them both different and interesting, but there's a little crossover. An example would be the very simple support gem "Added fire damage", which is of course similar to finding an item with fire damage.

More complicated support gems like "Multiple projectiles" have mods that could occur on items, but generally won't (unless it's some very special unique item that showcases that property).
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
never played fate/torchlight.thx for reply chris.

wasnt looking to talk balance,but i can.as zeph said you could limit the number of mods an item can have.

i would actually make it a limit to the number of non-native or transferred mods.system could be limited to as low as -one- total non-native mod and people would still enjoy it,i know i would :).

you can also limit the max value a specific mod could have per range.if gear has level/attribute reqs or ranges then those ranges could be the controlling factors on value limits.
-ex: an item req 15dex might be limited to a one/two shot multi fire mod,but a higher tier item could handle a bigger single mod tranfer

sounds like alot of effort has gone into the gem/socket system so this particular feature probably isnt even needed :) , i am simply always looking for more 'stuff' to do.

extra thought :mod conversian into gems:
-rip a mod from a piece of gear,destroying the donor,and turning that mod into a gem.
-this gem mod would be static and not gain xp.

The ability to strip one mod and put it onto another item would actually limit the number of valuable items. It'd become a mod-based economy instead of item-based?

Breaking down a mod and putting it into a gem sounds interesting. Gem slots are limited and I would think that giving an item mod in a slot would generally be a waste compared to having good active and passive skills or linked skills. So it wouldn't be overpowered, but then again I do not know what kind of item mods there are compared to skills.

Items that are not useful to wear, what to do with them? I think crafting is what would take care of it. Breaking the item down into a component. Some form of "gambler" might work? Turn 5 of one type of item in and get a randomly generated item of the same type back?

yes i would love -ALOT- more information :)

but for now we dream,brainstorm,conspire, and share ideas.

a gear blender/randomizer could be interesting.
being able to take away a mod kills most of the random aspect of items, like fruit said it would be a mod based community but then again what community when everyone would eventually all have the same gear
ah, i understand now. my mistake.

i think this is actually a pretty cool idea. i know one of the drawbacks was that you could create a really powerful item without too much difficulty. what if there was a chance that both items could be destroyed when you tried to rip an enchantment from one item to the other? this way, there's no guarantee that you will get the enchantment, or even either of the items back. you could even increase the likelihood of destroying both items each time you try and rip one enchantment and add it to the other. would something like that fix the issue of building and incredibly powerful item easily?
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
trashing items could turn them into credits to be used towards currency items like gold

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info