Reasons for GGG's design decisions for RNG gated content

"
FadeXF wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
Spoiler

^ PoE pub mapping party. Don't go in the deep end kids, you cant handle it.

Uh oh - I think he found the boss!

He's gonna get one shot across the yard

Spoiler
then have the randoms loot the -2 map
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Jul 30, 2015, 1:36:14 PM
"
FadeXF wrote:
^ HOLY FUCK SHIT!!! This shit only happens in the movies!!!

WTS level 76 map 5 Exalt!

lol shut up, run it
Its not like it was unexpected but its still a real bummer. Man I hope they come to their senses soon. I'm not even to maps in leagues yet but I can see myself burning out on them really quick if I get the same experience many of you guys seem to be having with the new system.

I completely agree: GGG are afraid.
though they are afraid, with good reason: in a sense, their own financial model chains them. forces them to avoid radical changes, even if they know the original 4+ year assumption that RNG everywhere is "fun", is wrong.
because if people leave, GGG lose money directly.
if every player paid for a copy, they would probably be more flexible - but currently they just can't take the risk, without immediately feeling the consequence of a possible failure.

I hate this RNG and Economy fixation as much as you do, Jojas.
but it's just a sad case of circular dependence, reaching a point of no return.
one that may be solved in GGG's next game, but not this one.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
Jojas wrote:
As for the not so great point about D2, TQ, etc. from Grahf23: None of them generally had RNG gated end-content. In fact, in my 25 years of playing RPG's PoE is the only one I know that has it. Why does GGG need to re-invent the wheel? Especially, since it keeps on driving people away?

Well said, sadly i think they wont do anything to change this cause well... they wont dare to offend The Holy Mighty Lord of Economuhh!
RNG adds the spice to the game. Poker would be boring without RNG. Scrabble would be boring without RNG. Even tetris would be boring without RNG. And so would every ARPG. Also there is a deterministic way to get maps, it's called buying them ;)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Jojas wrote:

That's not entirely true. Take Tetris as an example. Wouldn't you say that it would be detrimental to the game if it relied solely on RNG, i.e. you had no way of influencing how the pieces fall?

Even tetris DOES rely on RNG to some extent. Not in how the pieces fall, but in WHICH pieces fall and in what order. I recently watched a video, in fact, where they mention that because of the size of the board and the random order in which the pieces fall, even playing perfectly, you WILL eventually lose. There is a very small chance of getting the pieces in just the wrong order so that it is impossible to place them without leaving gaps which will eventually result in a loss.
"
Xavderion wrote:
RNG adds the spice to the game. Poker would be boring without RNG. Scrabble would be boring without RNG. Even tetris would be boring without RNG. And so would every ARPG. Also there is a deterministic way to get maps, it's called buying them ;)

man will you please stop?
there is RNG, and there is Path Of Exile RNG.
Path Of Exile takes RNG further than any ARPG ever did, or will.
Path Of Exile takes Economy further than any ARPG ever did, or will.
no one considers that a good thing. heck not even GGG at this point, I bet.
but now that we got that out of the way, I'm going back to my previous post:
that's not going to change. not in this game. not with this game's financial model.
GGG stepped into their own Bear Trap, and they can't get out. it's too late.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

man will you please stop?
there is RNG, and there is Path Of Exile RNG.
Path Of Exile takes RNG further than any ARPG ever did, or will.
Path Of Exile takes Economy further than any ARPG ever did, or will.
no one considers that a good thing. heck not even GGG at this point, I bet.
but now that we got that out of the way, I'm going back to my previous post:
that's not going to change. not in this game. not with this game's financial model.
GGG stepped into their own Bear Trap, and they can't get out. it's too late.

Such a prophet.
Last edited by Grahf23 on Jul 30, 2015, 3:40:08 PM
"
morbo wrote:
This creates a party-trade "social" environment, that GGG hopes will help to sell more candy MTX visuals. It's that simple. It's a business reason and a consequence of free-to-play non-P2W financial model of this game.

So basically we can blame it all on the baleful influence of MySpace, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram and Vine? Not to mention Candy Crush, Farmville, YoVille, Pet Society, Mafia Wars...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info