CWDT+Totems?

I'm noticing that CWDT is not working with my Decoy Totem. I thought this was possible before?

Has it been changed in the latest patch?
Wash your hands, Exile!
It should work.
Maybe the req lvl for your Decoy Totem is higher than the req lvl for CwdT.

Another interesting thing to test is:
Spell Totem + Grace/Determination + Generosity

Should be good on tough fights.

Does it not affect the totem and only the player? Or does it work only on minions.
Ah, crap. It's actually a Cast When Stunned gem.

But that lists no maximum level for operating, so I don't understand why it wouldn't work?
Wash your hands, Exile!
Totems do not work with trigger gems since patch 2.0. Sorry.
Ah, I see.

Shouldn't the descriptions on the gems be updated to reflect this?
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Ah, I see.

Shouldn't the descriptions on the gems be updated to reflect this?

I would if I were a developer. It's non-intuitive since totems still have the 'spell' tag, unlike warcrys which also no longer work.
I'm actually less annoyed by the nerf than I am by the fact that, if you believe the descriptions and tags, they broke a mechanic.

And the only way to find out that the mechanic was broken on purpose (and not a bug, as it appears to be) is to come to the forums and ask about it.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Jul 30, 2015, 5:13:22 AM
Totems still have the Spell tag because they still benefit from Spell-specific modifiers. Summoning a Totem is no longer considered Spellcasting, but the Skill used by Decoy Totem casts faster with Increased Cast Speed.

This information is in the patch notes, it's explicitly mentioned that Totems are no longer Cast. If they are not Cast, then Cast when X cannot work with it.
If it says spell, then all spell supports should work with it.

If the distinction is now that between casting and summoning, then that needs to be made clear in the gem descriptions themselves, not in the patch notes.

And there is no such distinction, by the way. Summon skeletons still works with CWDT.

This was clearly not thought through 100%. Clarity in gem descriptions has never been GGG's strongest suit (Mark and I had a long argument about it a long time ago). But if it can be improved, then it should be.

And it can, most obviously, in this case. In the descriptions, distinguish between casting and summoning if they ever intend to make that the key distinction (they haven't, yet); or distinguish between totems and all other spells if that's the intended distinction.

I'll say it again because it bears repeating: Such distinctions need to be made IN the game. Not just in the forums or patch notes. We no longer live in an era where gamers are expected to rtfm before they can understand why something that should work, doesn't.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Summon Skeletons is a Spell that you Cast. Decoy Totem is a Totem that you place/summon (the tree actually calls it Placement, I just remembered..).

They do distinguish between Totems and other Spells, namely that Totems are not Cast and have the Totem tag, whereas Spells do not have the Totem tag and are Cast.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info