Currency Watch! - Chaos orbs to Exalted [ WB ] [ T ]

"
Polypropylen wrote:
What are flippers? ( I'm serious)

People buying items for cheap and selling them for more currency - 'flipping' them.

On a separate note - yeah it's always been like this in softcore leagues. Will hover around 45-50.
"
innervation wrote:
"
coatofarms wrote:
No offense, not trying to insult you, but you're a free market fundamentalist. 100 fuses does not equal 1 ex.

I'm not anything. But I do know that certain things are easy to latch onto when you see them in general chat, on the forums, and on reddit. And I know it's easy and comfortable to believe that an illuminati minority of players are out to get you, and that's why you can't have nice things.

But simple economic principles offer a much more reasonable explanation of PoE currency valuations than some vague conspiracy theory about 'flippers' - whatever that even means.

An exalt will buy you ~100 fuses right now. If you need fuses, that's what it equals. If you want an exalted orb, that's one way to buy one. If you value your fuses more than the current 100:1 rate, by all means, save them for your own use.

But the majority of players value exalted orbs enough to spend that many fuses on them. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

In your case you value them a lot more, so you will sit out on transactions of going from fuse --> exalt until either the market shifts, or your desire/need for an exalted orb becomes stronger.

In a perfect vacuum this would be the truth. Sadly thats not how it works when you can create monopolies/cartels, flip items, bot, multiclient and RMT.

Blind liberalism is bad for you.
Firstly at the above poster.. can you not bring politics and insult liberals into every god damn conversation that has nothing to do with politics. God Damn Conservatives always trying to cause problems with liberals with their random negative attacks on liberals for absolutely no reason.

I have said this since the very beginning .. the inflation of the economy in temporary leagues so fast makes no sense... TEMP leagues are supposed to have a better economy than standard.. but atleast in this league.. all i see is prices are about the same or EVEN WOrSE on some items..

like mid high dps weapons are being sold for more than standard.

fusings are going for 80 - 90 for an exalt.

its the flippers/gold farmers .. they control the economy.. and like gas.. they control it like a monopoly.. raising and lowering the price as they seee fit..

ive said this many times .. and people called me a skeptic paranoid skizo..

Last edited by ZaruenVoresu on Jul 27, 2015, 9:30:42 AM
If there really are shadow cartels controlling the super serious cut throat market of PoE all I want to say is; why have I not been invited? And how do I sign up?
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Could you guys explain further please, I'm too blind to see the truth. I need detailed steps of how the price fixing works, and how common folks like you and I fit into the vortex of their cartel.
There are sheep and there are wolves.

Sheep have a rather limited understanding of causality. If they notice something that they do not like, they bleat. They might also run. Or eat grass if it is available.

Wolves are hunters. They need to understand causality. They try to use their understanding of causality in order to feed. And they eat sheep.

In PoE you can choose whether you want to be a sheep or a wolve.
"
Faendris wrote:

Sheep have a rather limited understanding of causality. If they notice something that they do not like, they bleat. They might also run. Or eat grass if it is available.

Wolves are hunters. They need to understand causality. They try to use their understanding of causality in order to feed. And they eat sheep.

Where do herding dogs such as corgis fit into your analogy? Because I am definitely a corgi.
"
"
Faendris wrote:

Where do herding dogs such as corgis fit into your analogy? Because I am definitely a corgi.

I do not think that there are any in PoE. That is why it is so nice to be a wolve.
"
innervation wrote:
Could you guys explain further please, I'm too blind to see the truth. I need detailed steps of how the price fixing works, and how common folks like you and I fit into the vortex of their cartel.

If you are asking a serious question there really are a few ways a cartel can control a virtual economy.

The first would be the classic ponzi scheme. A group of rich players starts buying up as many of a certain item or currency as they can get their hands on, as the supply of that item that is being bought up the demand for it will increase. The result is that the price will go up, more people unaware of the manipulation will jump on the bandwagon and also begin to buy up the item under the assumption that the price will continue to rise into the future. Once the price has gone up significantly the group of players proceeds to dump their chosen item back into the market at a tidy profit. The price of the item then crashes back down before going back to its natural equilibrium.

This sort of strategy has been done in the game Runescape: http://runescapeclans.wikia.com/wiki/Merchanting_Clan

The trick of using artifical demand to jack up the price of something (in this case a stock) happened most famously in real life in what is known as the south sea bubble: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sea_Company (I highly suggest anyone curious about economics to read up on that event)

This strategy may have just been used on lightning coils in tempest league. Obviously there is no way of knowing this happened without being in the know, but 24 coils showing up on the market overnight has all the signs of an item that has been hoarded by a player or group and then dumped on the market.

Another way players could manipulate the market is an actual market cartel. Look at high end crafters. There can't have been more than a few dozen of them in the entire game that were producing mirrorable items before the removal of eternal orbs. All of these crafters (like our good friend Faendris who has just posted in this thread) could have gotten together and agreed to not buy eternal orbs above X exalts. Because there are so few people who actually use eternal orbs they could effectively fix the price of eternal orbs.

Again this is speculation and entirely baseless, I am just saying that this was a possible state of affairs
Last edited by Fluffy_Puppies on Jul 27, 2015, 10:48:34 AM
"
Faendris wrote:
"
"
Faendris wrote:

I do not think that there are any in PoE. That is why it is so nice to be a wolve.

Enjoy it while it lasts bro, I am slowly paying my way up to highgate supporter tier. My divination card will have corgis on it. PoE will have corgis.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info