[2.0] Bino's Critting Vigilant Strike

Hey everyone. I have theorycrafted a little around the new skill - vigilant strike, and come up with a build, that i think is rather fun and interesting. The basic idea of this build, is to make a crit build, that do not have to worry about accuracy. Let me start this guide, with the gear I use.

Gear I'm using

My skill tree

Lvl 76 tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAAO4DlgV9Bx4OSA-rEZYVIBa_G8gi4iLqJIsmlSoLKk0s4SzpLVUxnjWSNdY2PTrhOyg_J0UKRwZH4klRSshLV03jUUxVS1boVvVd8l-wYENh4mKsbIxuPW-ecFJwVnDVdwd9W33jgwmHE4nTjDaOipAblS6X0JoTm7WcpJ2qn4KkOaZXpn-nNKxHrGaxs7VIuT6-vMCcwOPDOspK2HbYvdtu29TdDeCV44Tp_u1B8NXxs_JF8-r0xvb8_gr-jw==?accountName=Willemoesium&characterName=ThePyromaniac_

My stats

Offence:
33k dps
62% chance to crit
596% crit multiplier
4.5 attacks/second
0.4% life leech
0.4% mana leech

Defence:
3703 life
113 ES
640 mana
1800 armor
2750 evasion
0-1500+ life/second
75% fire res
75% cold res
72% lightning res
-42% chaos res
2-3 endurance charges up, most of the time
Fortify is almost always up

The beauty of this build, is that almost everything i have done in order to get more damage, has automaticly brougt a defencive aspect with it. Lets start of with the weapon.

Weapon
In order to get a lot of crit, we need a good crit weapon, with high physical damage. To this, I picked Bino's Kitchen Knife, for two reasons. First, it has the crit and damage, and is not too expencive. Second, the last line on it, let us heal life, when we kill a poisoned enemy.

Explaination of Bino's healing
To those of you who are not familiar with this mod, I will explain it here. In the skill tree, we allocate Adder's Touch, which applies poison to an enemy, when we crit with a dagger. The poison the do 20% of the hit's damage, as damage over time, for 2 seconds (10% per second in 2 seconds). When we kill this poisoned enemy, we gain its debuf, as a healing. In other words, we heal 10% of our critical hit per second, for 2 seconds. With my setup, this is easily 1400 life per second, and my damage is not even very high yet.

Vigilant Strike
The drawback of crit is that we can miss. This problem is fixed with Vigilant Strike, as you can see in it's description:

Though it brings along fortify, which decrease damage taken by 20%, this skill brings another problem with it - it has a cooldown of 4 seconds. This cooldown can however be bypassed by expending an endurance charge

Gaining endurance charges
There are several ways to get endurance charges. The one i use, is the gem "endurance charge on melee stun"

This replaces the problem of getting endurances charges, with the challange of stunning often. The math of stunning is rather complicated, partly because we dont know enemy life for sure (se the wiki for stun if you dont know the mechanic in detail)

Stunning often
I do a few thigs to stun often. Firstly, i use these two supports, which also bring damage and aoe along with them:

I know that these two supports reduces the damage of each individual hit, but it ads a lot of hits, without costing more endurance charges than otherwise.

Some probability math

If we try to do one thing, with a probability of succes ( lets call this Prob), and we try N times, the probability of succeding at least once, is FinalProb=1-(1-Prob)^N (can be seen as one minus the probability of failing every time)

Another way to stun often, is simply to deal a lot of damage, and nothing is better at adding damage to melee critters, than

This however, this brings a problem too - physical damage is very dangerous now.

Surviving physical damage
To solve the abyssus problem, i use a very well known synergy - Lightning coil

This again, leaves us with very low lightning resistance, which i fix, by using purity of lightning

Other notes
I use purity of lightning and purity of elements as my auras.

When fighting bosses, I dont really stun. To fix this, I use enduring cry with spell echo.

In maps with no stunning, or against bosses, you can switch out vigilant strike and endurance charge on melee stun, with another red skill with high damage, and added fire damage.

I recomend using assassins mark, as it really boost damage with our high base crit, and crit multiplier.

Maligaro's gloves is just because i already had them. You can use anything you want.

Furure upgrades and plans
I have not invested too much in this build. It was just a fun experiment with a spare char i had. If I should go on with this build, I would probably make some CwDT combo with enduring cry and/or immortal call.

Getting better resisstances on my gera, so i can do without purity of elements, would also be nice. This would make up space for Hatred or Herald of Ash, for more damage.

Last edited by Willemoesium on Jul 23, 2015, 5:06:19 PM
You could pick up two strength nodes for 4% increased damage and 10 hp as well as saving a point instead of picking up the evasion nodes, I am not sure at all which one is better, but if you think your choice of evasion nodes is better, I would love to hear the reasoning :)

Blood rage could also become an option if you can either regenerate enough life. Or go with a skill tree that looks something like this: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABA5YFfQceDF8OSA-rEZYWvxynIuokiyaVKgss4S1VMZ41kjY9OuE7KDwtQYdHBklRSshLV03jU6VVS1b1XfJfsGBDYeJirGh0bIxtbG49bqpvnnBScFZw1XKpdwd944MJg8yHE4nTjDaOipAbkn2UoJUul9CYb5oTm7WcpJ2qplemf6xmsbO0xbVItfK3Prk-wOPDOsT2xq7KSthN2HbYvdpi227b1Nvn3CPlz-n-7UHw1fGz8kXz6vcy-ej-Cv6P?accountName=Willemoesium&characterName=ThePyromaniac_

Could then take that one step further and get +1 frenzy charge for the bandits in merciless and do this: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABA5YFfQW1Bx4MXw5IEZYWvxynIuok_SaVKgss4S1VMZ41kjY9OuE7KDwtPs9Bh0cGSVFKyEtXTeNRR1OlVUtVhVb1XfJfsGBDYeJirGh0bIxtbG49bqpvnnBScFZw1XKpdwd944MJg8yHE4nTjDaNv46KkBuSfZSglS6X0JhvmhObtZyknaqly6ZXpn-sZrGztMW1SLXytz65Pr3mwOPDOsT2xq7KSthN2HbYvdpi227b1Nvn3CPlz-dU53To1un-7UHw1fGz8kXz6vcy-ej-Cv6P_94=?accountName=Willemoesium&characterName=ThePyromaniac_

Certainly interesting, if you continue this then do update it here, I'd be interested to see where you take this!

EDIT: almost forgot, bandits? And how do you deal with reflect? (do you actually survive through your lightning coil and the fortify buff? You will get shocked more often than normal)
Last edited by LankeOnLuck Yesterday, 2016 11:26 AM
Last edited by LankeOnLuck on Sep 28, 2015, 4:37:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info