1 claw dual wield reave, tanky and great clearspeed [HC] [budget]

i guess im missing something.. ive read the whole lost and watched the entire vid.. i still dont understand something about the mechanic of dual wielding (not specific to this build). i know you use soul taker to reserve 100% of your mana and that the reave wont be casted from the axe.. My question is, wont your dps be better with another good dps claw? or the dps with dual welding works different than what i understand (never used dual wield)
thanks you for responding.
"
huntsmon wrote:

i guess im missing something.. ive read the whole lost and watched the entire vid.. i still dont understand something about the mechanic of dual wielding (not specific to this build). i know you use soul taker to reserve 100% of your mana and that the reave wont be casted from the axe.. My question is, wont your dps be better with another good dps claw? or the dps with dual welding works different than what i understand (never used dual wield)
thanks you for responding.

The only way you can improve your dps by dual wielding two claws is if you get a BETTER (stronger, more dps, higher crit) claw in your other hand. Let's say you deal 50k dps with 1 good claw (300 dps, 8% crit) and soul taker. You would need a better claw (more than 300 dps, more than 8% crit) in your other hand to deal more damage than with the soul taker because you would actually also ATTACK with that second claw so it needs to be stronger than your first claw to increase your dps.

But if you get a second, better claw, you would be better off using that new, better claw as your new single weapon and soul taker in the other hand.

Then you also would not be able to reserve 100% mana.

There is simply no way where dual wielding claws would be stronger than using a stat stick with 1 claw (assuming you have a decent claw with life gained on hit). You could play with a life leech claw but it would not be as strong as life gained on hit.
@litto or @kaharon
Last edited by Kaharon on Aug 2, 2015, 8:06:39 AM
Thanks for the inspiration. I am leveling in Tempest and enjoy the speed and engagement of this play style.

I am currently running Whirling Blades + Blood Magic + Fortify for mobility and have CWDT(1) + Blood Rage + Curse.

I saw that you went with Temp Chains.

Can you shed some light on the decision between temp chains vs enfeeble?

It seems with the crazy life gain on hit and leech of this build, my main concern is one or two huge hits in a row. Might these may be better mitigated by enfeeble?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: I also wanted to point out a bug I was reading about. Basically, you want your claw in your main hand (assuming its APS is higher than your stat stick). Even though Reave wont use an axe or mace, it will use the APS if its in the main hand. I tested it and I could notice a difference when I took out multistrike.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1331081
Last edited by Seufari on Aug 2, 2015, 10:27:54 PM
"
Seufari wrote:
Thanks for the inspiration. I am leveling in Tempest and enjoy the speed and engagement of this play style.

I am currently running Whirling Blades + Blood Magic + Fortify for mobility and have CWDT(1) + Blood Rage + Curse.

I saw that you went with Temp Chains.

Can you shed some light on the decision between temp chains vs enfeeble?

It seems with the crazy life gain on hit and leech of this build, my main concern is one or two huge hits in a row. Might these may be better mitigated by enfeeble?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: I also wanted to point out a bug I was reading about. Basically, you want your claw in your main hand (assuming its APS is higher than your stat stick). Even though Reave wont use an axe or mace, it will use the APS if its in the main hand. I tested it and I could notice a difference when I took out multistrike.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1331081

I use temp chains because I mostly dodge around attacks with my whirling blades (attacks such as ground slam from bosses like kole). For me it was just personal preferrance, though. You can play as you want, enfeeble would probably result in LESS damage taken overall if you were to stand still and do nothing but I usually killed enemies within 1-2 seconds, while they have temporal chains they also had increased duration from my Soul Taker chill.

Haven't heard/read about this bug tbh. I also switched around between weapon slots and noticed a difference when I used claw in main vs off-hand. Although it was the other way around for me (in off-hand I noticed higher APS) but it was due to Ambidexterity. Probably I did not notice a difference because my Soul Taker and my Claw both were almost the same APS (1,81 and 1,80).

There were not many things that would make me drop more than 10% hp. I had almost 30k armor and 3 endurance charges, what is going to one-shot me? Stuff that one-shots you anyway (maybe frenzied, monster damage, added cold/fire/lightning Maze Vaal Smash, which you should not get hit by anyway, enfeeble won't do much, either) I'd rather depend on my quick reactions to dodge stuff than to just think "ah, won't kill me anyway because they have enfeeble up).
@litto or @kaharon
First of all, english is not my mothertongue, so sry about mistakes !

Secondly, let me thank you for that great guide you put out there.
I was away from POE for more then a year, but your guide and video together with the Reave playstile brought me back again (played a Vaal Haste Dual Claw before).

I love the playstyle and I am at lvl 70 right now. Got Iron Reflexes since arround lvl 60, because I didn´t take that many live nodes until now - only Warbands, you know. ;-)

I saw your recommandations for warbands-league (SC) on site 2 of this thread (more damage), and am trying to go in this direction, but it seems that my damage output is still really low. With a 250 DPS claw, 5 frenzys and bloodrage up, I am only at arround 9k DPS and that looks like miles away from the 35k+ you posted on your HC character (with grace - not haste).

Could you tell me why my missing DPS could be ?

Thanks in advance,

Nagash
"
Nágash wrote:
First of all, english is not my mothertongue, so sry about mistakes !

Secondly, let me thank you for that great guide you put out there.
I was away from POE for more then a year, but your guide and video together with the Reave playstile brought me back again (played a Vaal Haste Dual Claw before).

I love the playstyle and I am at lvl 70 right now. Got Iron Reflexes since arround lvl 60, because I didn´t take that many live nodes until now - only Warbands, you know. ;-)

I saw your recommandations for warbands-league (SC) on site 2 of this thread (more damage), and am trying to go in this direction, but it seems that my damage output is still really low. With a 250 DPS claw, 5 frenzys and bloodrage up, I am only at arround 9k DPS and that looks like miles away from the 35k+ you posted on your HC character (with grace - not haste).

Could you tell me why my missing DPS could be ?

Thanks in advance,

Nagash

No clue, you should check your gem setup. 9k tooltip dps is also wrong (unless you play dual claw), depending on your weapon you would be much, much higher.
@litto or @kaharon
Great build, shame I got DESTROYED by Abyssal Tempest buffed Vaal Fireball in mercyless, and have to reroll now, hand no problems till then. :D.

Just little question you really prefer main-handing claw and get 26% phys damage instead of off-handing and get 20% atk speed from ambidexterity?
"
Great build, shame I got DESTROYED by Abyssal Tempest buffed Vaal Fireball in mercyless, and have to reroll now, hand no problems till then. :D.

Just little question you really prefer main-handing claw and get 26% phys damage instead of off-handing and get 20% atk speed from ambidexterity?

Who ever said that? I play with claw in off-hand.
@litto or @kaharon
"
Kaharon wrote:

Well you.

"
Kaharon wrote:
Remember: The tooltip DPS is not correct because I am using a soul taker in my off-hand and it calculates my reave with the soul taker. I have a lot of claw damage from my tree and Soul Taker is an Axe, which doesn't even have quality on it. My DPS would be more about 50k with 7 frenzy charges and blood rage up.
"
"
Kaharon wrote:

Well you.

"
Kaharon wrote:
Remember: The tooltip DPS is not correct because I am using a soul taker in my off-hand and it calculates my reave with the soul taker. I have a lot of claw damage from my tree and Soul Taker is an Axe, which doesn't even have quality on it. My DPS would be more about 50k with 7 frenzy charges and blood rage up.

Whoops, fixed. Thanks!
@litto or @kaharon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info