[2.1] The Whisper of Doom - 8k Dps LL Crit Icestorm, Atziri viable w/ The Whispering Ice!

Hi, I'm Tony and welcome to The Whisper of Doom build!

First of all, I have to tell you this is my first build I ever made. I'm still working on it, so feel free to critique. Any advice would be appreciated.

The concept of this build is to make best of the new unique staff The Whispering Ice and still have high survivability.

The goal is to acquire highest Intelligence as much as possible to increases Spell Damage of Icestorm skill according to the staff mod (see Weapons section).

Pros
-Decent clear speed with AoE damage.
-Extremely safe. With chill and freeze, you almost shatters everything you touch before it can reach you.
-Insta-Leech via Vaal Pact.
-Works pretty good on solo/party play.
-Scroll of Wisdoms! (see Rings section)
-EXP bonus! (see Rings section)

Cons
-Expensive. (but can be achieved without using a High-price gear, see Gears section)
-Can't run No-Regen map.
-Need a High-leveled character to achieve its full potential.
-Not a Beginner-friendly build.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Offence and Defence Stats [Updated]
Offence

DPS with 7 Power Charges, no flasks up
most of the gems are not 20/20
***You reach around 8,000 DPS when you pops Aziri's Promise flask.

Defence

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Gears and Gems with Explaination [Updated]
Weapon

Explaination: This amazing staff is the key to this build. It provides Lv.1 Icestorm skill which is the main skill and your source of damage.
What? Lv.1? Is it enough? Trust me Lv.1 is enough. This staff gives you "1% increased Spell Damage per 10 Intelligence" which means the more Intelligence you have, the more Damage you'll get.
Moreover, The staff provide you "+1 Level of Socketed Support Gems". Yeah, that's it. What a nice weapon.
Tips:
Icestorm is the skill that this staff provided you, all socketed support gems will automaticly linked to this skill, so you don't need to make it 6L before use. Hell yeah for 7L!.

Secketed Gems:
Setup 1 -B B B B R R [Most damage output, be careful of Fire damage reflection!]
> Spell Echo + Concentrated Effect + Increased Critical Damage + Added Chaos Damage/Added Lightning Damage/Faster Casting + Cold To Fire + Life Leech/Increased Duration
or
Setup 2 -B B B B G R [Average damage output, Very safe]
> Spell Echo + Power Charge On Critical + Increased Critical Damage + Concentrated Effect + Cold Penetration/Hypothermia + Life Leech/Increased Duration
or
Setup 3 -B B B B B R [Average damage output, Good clear speed]
> Spell Echo + Power Charge On Critical + Increased Critical Damage + Concentrated Effect + Added Chaos Damage/Added Lightning Damage/Faster Casting + Life Leech/Increased Duration
Tips:
You can swap Concentrated Effect to Increase Area Of Effect for bigger AoE. This should affects your clear speed. I only use Concentrated Effect on fighting boss.

Head

Explaination: The Vertex suit me best for this build. It has +1 Level Gems on it and a good amount of Energy Shield.

Secketed Gems:
>Blood Magic + Purity Of Ice + Discipline (+ Enlighten if you have mana reserved problem)

Chest

Explaination: Of course, Shavronne's Wrapings is the best choice for this build since it gives you significantly amount of Energy Shield and provide protection from Chaos damage.
Note: If you can't afford Shavronne's Wrapings, use Solaris Lorica instead. It works fine as Shav except it does't provide any Energy Shield.

Secketed Gems:
>Assassin's Mark + Blasphemy + Increased Area of Effect + Decoy Totem (for more survivability)
>Purity of Elements
>Arctic Armour

Gloves

Explaination: Voidbringer is a good choice. It increases a lot of Spells Critical Strike Chance with good amount of Energy Shield, +1 Level of Elemental Gems on it and give you "Energy Shield Gained on kill".

Note: The downside of it which is "80% Increased Mana Cost of Skills" can overcome by using high-level Clarity.

If you cant find a pair of decent-rolls Voidbringer, you can use Doedre's Tenure until you can manage to find one. With 50% Increased Spell Damage and +10 Intelligence is not a bad choice.
On the other hand, it's 20% reduced Cast Speed and a very small amount Energy Shield it gives might be a problem.
So I only recommended using it only as you leveling your character from level 12 until you can use Void Bringer.

Note: If you have a problem with resistances, a Rare Gloves with + xx Intelligence, some resistances and high Energy Shield should do the trick.

Secketed Gems:
>Cast When Damage Taken Lv.1 + Ice Nova Lv.8 + Increased Area Of Effect + Blind

Boots

Explaination:I highly recommended using Rainbowstride as it's a unique that provide good source of Energy Shield, All Elemental Resistances and Movement Speed.

Secketed Gems:
>Lightning Warp + Less Duration
>Clarity
>Summon Ice Golem

Belt

Explaination: Finally the best way to put this useless-seems-alike Bated Breath to good use. This belt gives you high Energy Shield, some Intelligence, Increased Damage for 10%. Things is it gives you 50% of Energy Shield Recharge Rate which is huge amount. This should make your chance of survival greatly increased because you regen Energy Shield faster.
Note: Patch 2.0.0 nerf is reduced the Energy Shield Recharge Rate per Second.

Doryani's Invitaion (Cold Damage) works fine too. You'll lose some Energy Shield and Energy Shield Recharge Rate, but gain some Cold Damage, Resistances and 0.2% Cold of Cold Damage Leeched as life. The choice is yours.

Amulet

Explaination: The Astramentis amulet is the best choice. With its +115 All Attributes (on perfect rolls non-legacy), you will save a some passive points and get 11% Spell Damage (12% on legacy). AWESOME!

Rings

x2 Perandus Signet

Explaination: Perandus Signet is the best source to boost our Intelligence. Nothing is perfect than those rings. With two of them and all uniques equiped on your body, you'll get a total of 27% Increased Intelligence!
Furthermore, each one of them gives you 3% Increased Experience Gain(for legacy version) so two of them provide you twice of the amount! That's it. It's 6% EXP Bonus!
But that's not all! Perandus Signet make scroll of wisdom drops from monsters a lot easier. Be prepare for the rain of wisdom scrolls!

Jewels

x4 Izaro's Turmoil

Flasks

Explaination: It's important to have at least one Sapphire Flask equipped. It'll help you survive a big reflect mop that could kill you. Pop it up along with Atziri's Promise flask to prvide more leeches. If you put Added Chaos Damage in your staff, it should work great. The other flasks is your choice.
Tips

The best flask mods for this build is Surgeon's since you deal crits a lot.
Example: Surgeon's Sapphire Flask of Heat.

Current Gears [Updated]
Spoiler

Curse Picking [Updated]
Spoiler

Assassin's Mark This curse will make you reach maximum power charge faster and give you more crit damage which will help you a lot when fighting boss, life and mana gain on kill is like extra bonuses.

Frostbite A good damage boost, this curse reduced your enemies cold resistance and give you a chance to freeze them.(which is useless since your crit always freeze enemies)
I recommended Assassin's Mark over Frostbite.

Elemental Weakmess Works fine if you use my Gem Setup 1(see Weapons Section above). Since you deal both Cold and Fire damage.

Passives [Updated]

Deal With The Bandits
Spoiler
Normal -Kill all for a passive point.
Cruel -Kill all for a passive point or help Alira for 5% cast speed.
Merciless -Help Alira for a maximum power charge.

Video
Spoiler

Feel free to ask any questions according to the build.

Enjoy your day!

Change Log:
07/20/15 Add video gameplay.
12/13/15 Update passive skill tree for patch 2.1
12/15/15 Update new gears and explanations of the build.
01/17/16 Add build cover picture and improve explainations.
Last edited by tonbcool on Jan 17, 2016, 10:07:44 AM
Last bumped on Nov 27, 2016, 1:50:46 PM
I just got this staff and was looking for a build. Can you tell me in which direction i should go first on the skill tree ? I am a newbie to this game still so i am not really sure.
"
Azrash wrote:
I just got this staff and was looking for a build. Can you tell me in which direction i should go first on the skill tree ? I am a newbie to this game still so i am not really sure.

Hi, Azrash and thank you for your interested in this build!

Where to go first? I would suggest you allocate your passives through Shadow's area first (the right side from the beginning of Witch's area). Take Energy Shield nodes, Crit Chance nodes along with Power Charge nodes on your way until you feel safe enough to allocate Ghost Reaver. But be careful, you'll need to have good ES gears put on before you can go on Low Life.
I recommend you to use Freezing Pulse for leveling until you can use your staff.

I hope you love this build, Azrash.

Enjoy :)
Thank you! The build looks expensive but i hope i get lucky so i can obtain some worthy currency.
extremely interested to make this build. awesome concept +1

Also i notice a potential oversight in your tree. You do not choose to take the staff crit nodes with notable Serpent Stance (close to unnatural calm notable). These are global crit chance a multi which are very efficient.
IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
Last edited by lDantonl on Jul 21, 2015, 12:31:29 PM
"
lDantonl wrote:
extremely interested to make this build. awesome concept +1

Also i notice a potential oversight in your tree. You do not choose to take the staff crit nodes with notable Serpent Stance (close to unnatural calm notable). These are global crit chance a multi which are very efficient.

Thank you for your advice, lDantonl.
It seems that I completely forgot those nodes. The passive tree is fixed now.
Quick question is Hypothermia not that good dmg wise for the skill or do you use added chaos to avoid some reflect damage?
"Had they not taken my home with fire, I would not have taken their children." Witch -
Looks good, been trying to do something very similar to this, but was having troubles getting the numbers to work out how I wanted them to. I'll definitely give your set-up a try when I get home, and will share my thoughts once I've done some first-hand testing.
"
Rmpz wrote:
Quick question is Hypothermia not that good dmg wise for the skill or do you use added chaos to avoid some reflect damage?

Hi, Rmpz.

Hypothermia is used when I was progressing my charactor's levels. Back there, I don't have enough point to spend on crit nodes and power charge nodes, so the crit chance is really low. Hypothermia is good when you don't have much crit chance. Beside, it can freeze my enemies without criting on them. Keeping me safe.

Yes. Added Chaos Damage is used to avoid some reflect and boost some damage. It is working for me just fine.
"
tonbcool wrote:
"
Rmpz wrote:

Hi, Rmpz.

Hypothermia is used when I was progressing my charactor's levels. Back there, I don't have enough point to spend on crit nodes and power charge nodes, so the crit chance is really low. Hypothermia is good when you don't have much crit chance. Beside, it can freeze my enemies without criting on them. Keeping me safe.

Yes. Added Chaos Damage is used to avoid some reflect and boost some damage. It is working for me just fine.

Ahh well put :)
"Had they not taken my home with fire, I would not have taken their children." Witch -

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info