Best class for Pure Caster? (Hardcore)

The play-style I'm looking for doesn't rely on pets/minions/summonables but has the ability to use ranged spells effectively with hardcore survivability.

Is it possible to build a character around this premise? Or am I going to get crushed instantly?

I like the Freezing Pulse builds but most of them eventually use pets/minions or totems.
buuump!

do all caster builds involve pets?
Its more than plausible, but you will need to invest a bit into minions.

Its not so much that you rely on them, as they simply become an OP decoy totem.

You want to link summon skeletons to a spell totem, and you want to be able to summon a fair bit of them. Not only do they add okay DPS, better yet they take attention off you so you can solo more easily. You aren't relying on them as damage like a pure summoner, you rely on them for distraction and a little added damage as a bonus.

How many additional summons you want to invest into depends entirely on how you want to build.
Last edited by NastyPants on Feb 12, 2013, 4:24:28 PM
I prefer templar for a caster roll because he has access to better life/defense nodes, which all casters need to some extent. Like someone stated even if you go all caster you're going to want to invest at-least a little into summoning. Like people said spell totem + skeletons is pretty much an OP decoy totem, it will do some damage but do a great job at tanking a bunch of mobs. It's worth spending the 1 point to get Lord of Death in the Witch skill tree, it gives you +2 skeletons and +damage/health for them, that allows your totem to summon 7 skeletons at a time which is a good enough number to tank for you. My Summon Skeletons gem at lvl 15 + the Lord of Death perk gives me skeletons that have about 1,900 hp, which is great considering I'm only lvl 62.

I would start templar but work your way over to the witch tree to hit up the mana regen, Lord of Death, and any other damage related points for whatever type of damage you would like to deal.
Last edited by Bennyboy1337 on Feb 12, 2013, 4:47:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info