Why did GGG create Greust?

"
coatofarms wrote:
"You have to be a pretty sick person to create an NPC like Greust.

Please explain why would anyone would create a creature like Greust?"

Isn't it obvious? Greust is there in Act II to attempt to divert your attention away from the fact that you just completed Act I and were inundated with trash drops. He only sells trash so it's a perfect fit. That and the fact that he hates all exiles because since we only get trash then that is all he ever gets from exile's. It's not like he can go anywhere. He's stuck forever in the Encampment. Good god GGG, even the Star Trek Voyager doctor got a special device (mobile emitter) to allow him to leave the confines of sick bay. None of the NPCs in PoE can do that. I guess we must wait until the 29th century for that coding technology (SIGH!!!).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Greust's continued existence doesn't make much sense, in real Wraeclast he'd be killed by the first(at most, second) exile who'd speak to him.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Greust is great. His lines are perfect. Always makes me smile :)
I also think he obviously spits on the ground to underline his distaste, why would anyone spit at people, that's childish..

If you listen to his dialogue it's clear why he hates Exiles and has a right to it.

Pretty interesting how many people get offended personally by an NPC that's just written and acted authentically.
Some people think you'd kill a guy for being grumpy in a real medieval setting? Well.
"
coatofarms wrote:
Ok. this has been pissing me off for a long time. Greust has no right to exist. Srsly, he's a terrible NPC. He's virtually hated by everyone. Does anyone here even like him? He has a terrible personality. He's always in a bad mood.

Worst of all is that he is constantly spitting on the exile. And there is nothing you can do about it!!

I've never wanted to murder an NPC more than Greust. Greust also hates you (he hates exiles). I pray to God there is a true metaphysical Mastermind behind all of Poe's lore, and that this metaphysical computer God baby's physical manifestiation was Greust all along (kinda like the ending to Persona 4 if you remember). Then we can kill him once and for all.

You have to be a pretty sick person to create an NPC like Greust.

Please explain why would anyone would create a creature like Greust?

I dunno, I think the community rather actually likes him as a character.
He's also the first character that, you know, gives you the impression that you're a power-mad and antisocial weirdo who gives no fucks about anything but sticking his dick into the middle of corruption-bred powers and striking deals with the bandits raiding his people.

Don't believe me?
Witch: Murdered children.
Duelist: Killed a guy over an insult.
Templar: You're a very vocal heretic who can't keep his opinions to himself and thinks he's on a mission from God.
Marauder: An angry and sullen Karui warrior who wants to even the score with the Oriathans who wronged him.
Shadow: A professional hitman.
Scion: You're really smart and read all the wrong books. You hear voices. And you probably come across as a rather morbid and strange child. Also, you murdered your husband, because trust me, he was a dick. Maybe he had it coming, but you're not normal.

So you're this exile that's hellbent on obtaining power or their life's mission. You're so tunnel-visioned that you think nothing of tampering with the very powers that destroyed a civilization, that the major orthodox religion considers evil and most everybody considers inadvisable to mess with.

And then you go killing monsters nobody else would dream of fighting. At best, you're reckless. At worst, you're just another monster in the making.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Mar 28, 2017, 4:10:34 AM
"

And Greust is pretty much the only man in a camp full of weak people. The one dude Silk is basically a daydreamer who is making up stuff. You don´t have to be a genius to know that Silk is a soft dude.

I beg to differ. In spite of his penchant for wearing fishnets, Silk is everything he claims to be. He went hunting in the Crossroads to find his "spear," which he then lost in the very heart of the Weaver's Lair, all the way in the Western Forest. I dunno about you, but that hardly sounds "soft" to me. Additionally, when the Darkness falls, Silk doesn't cower and ask you to fix things, he asks "What should we do?" If the option existed to invite Silk along to banish the Darkness, he'd be right there by your side.

Greust hunts boar, hunts to feed his people, hunts to keep them safe. Silk is an adventurer like you. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Eramir is what keeps the camp together though.

Without him they'd be overrun by walking dead ages ago!

Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink
Eramir = Deckard Cain.

Let him ID items for you if you kill all the bandits.

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
"

I dunno, I think the community rather actually likes him as a character.
He's also the first character that, you know, gives you the impression that you're a power-mad and antisocial weirdo who gives no fucks about anything but sticking his dick into the middle of corruption-bred powers and striking deals with the bandits raiding his people.

Don't believe me?
Witch: Murdered children.
Duelist: Killed a guy over an insult.
Templar: You're a very vocal heretic who can't keep his opinions to himself and thinks he's on a mission from God.
Marauder: An angry and sullen Karui warrior who wants to even the score with the Oriathans who wronged him.
Shadow: A professional hitman.
Scion: You're really smart and read all the wrong books. You hear voices. And you probably come across as a rather morbid and strange child. Also, you murdered your husband, because trust me, he was a dick. Maybe he had it coming, but you're not normal.

So you're this exile that's hellbent on obtaining power or their life's mission. You're so tunnel-visioned that you think nothing of tampering with the very powers that destroyed a civilization, that the major orthodox religion considers evil and most everybody considers inadvisable to mess with.

And then you go killing monsters nobody else would dream of fighting. At best, you're reckless. At worst, you're just another monster in the making.

And how does Greust know who the Exile is, and their past? They just washed up on the shores of Wraeclast a few days ago. We just walked into the encampment, and pretty much the first thing he does is spit on the ground after us. Any exile with the past of the Magnificent Seven (maybe not the witch or templar) probably would take issue with that kind of attitude. However, we have bigger fish to fry, so we can tolerate his attitude.

Killing monsters nobody else would dream of fighting - well, aren't we doing Wraeclast a big favour by doing this?

Greust.. pfui!

As a character in the game, no problem though :)
Regardless of this game being an aRPG, it's an RPG. To fulfill the fantasy of a world, there must be many personalities. The dreamer, the cocky, the adventurer, the sadist. Greust fills the niche of the not very intelligent, very grumpy, big man, that hates changes/outsiders but loves his own people. If you ask the other NPCs in town about him they'll tell you Greust would do anything to protect his people, even if he's grumpy about it.

Greust exists to fill a niche personality in an RPG world
Hail build Diversity,
Death to the speed clear meta.
"
Zackro wrote:
See what you don't understand is the true lore of PoE.

They are the inhabitants of the island and have lived there. Many are ancestors to the old tribes that long since lingered on the isles for thousands of years.

However we came along...we decided having the coastal region being dominated by a Water-God like Merv. wasn't very good so we killed her. Little did we know that without that monster having such a large territory ownership other things began to move in. [in Merciless go back to act 1, you'll see Nessa now has light green eyes and her hands are darker, she has been corrupted, thus telling us something has moved into act 1 that shouldn't have been there with Merv's protection of her own territory].

Next we move on to the forest encampment, these are mostly the locals. They have a feud with some of the bandit lords but as you can tell everyone sticks to their own sides of the territory, and EVERYONE stays away from the Vaal pyramids because hey...it's a long lost civilization right? Well we don't because we are EXPLORERS!~ So we proceed to ravage the land, killing bandits [Which having 3 of them kept each other in check so that the forest encampment could never be fully attacked or ravaged...oh well guess we messed up that whole situation and gave power to one bandit] If for some reason you didn't side with a bandit you now no longer are following the story line [but that isn't a big deal all you'll miss is in merci after finishing act 2 all the way Eremir's feetthis again depicts corruption, have changed to a different color, if you sided with a bandit you'll notice the gateways leading to river/old fields are both battered now meaning they have been attacked]

Onward to Act 3!~ This is where things get a little weird. Tolman was kidnapped by piety? but why was tolman even out there....and better yet Clarissa is dressed as close to one of the guards as any npc? This is because Clarissa was and still is a black guard [To help hide this better GGG changed her scarf color during the Awakening beta+when it went live] She led tolman to his death and is secretly the leader of the BGs. Piety just happens to be the scape goat to better help her sink in to the sarn encampment.

Now Grigor is there, he knows something is up so that is why he keeps a close on on clarissa, he serves no other purpose.

After finishing act 3 in merci and heading into act 4 if you proceed to go back clarissa's bench is missing a few things on it...as well as the smithy's bench. I wonder where they went?

Onward to act 4, Because of all your acts up until now you've created so many opportunities to allow corruption in it's a wonder...are you actually working with Malachai? The answer is yes, you are. This is why every boss has fought you and has never "attacked" any of the villages they just so happen to live by. Why is it that humans fight against you on their side? Well my good sirs it is because you work for Malachai. But wait? Why does Malachai fight you? That is because you get greedy, it was never supposed to be he gets what he wants, you were the agent of corruption not him! Why should he get everything? With Malachai's dying breath he curses you to repeat your actions. Thus you go act 1-4 3 times, only succeeding to stop in Merci act4 because Zana appears to tell you that with her tool you can break the curse cast upon you, allowing you to break this hellish cycle.

Thus is the lore of PoE:The Awakening, and why Greust hates you because...he should.

Mind = blown
Who knew the lore was so deep? Fantastic post, mate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info