Why did GGG create Greust?

Why did GGG create Greust?

Because, just as in real life, there are jerks in Wraeclast, too. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
In addition to what has already been said, consider the bandit quests. Helping Oak is the DEFAULT best option in Normal at the very least, and the additional charge is often quite good as well. But you're helping one of the bandit leaders consolidate their rule over all of Act 2, and they most definitely don't treat the Forest Encampment tribe very well at all. On top of that, you also BLOTTED OUT THE SUN by releasing Vaal. After all of that, why should Greust trust you or any exile?

I do wish he stopped doing the spitting if you actually got Eramir's skillpoint and you killed Vaal, but that sort of thing is all flavor that most people would never see, so not a very big priority.

Edit: There is a part of me that hates that the Exile is played like a straight hero after all those anti-hero intros. There was a part of me that, when you encounter Malachai, you had an option to help him, with some kind of decently good benefit, in return for an alternate ending and boss to Act 4 (Rhoa-riding Kira with Deshret aiding her? dunno). I don't even think of the Beast as fundamentally evil or needing to be killed. But no, you kill Malachai, and save the world, like every other hero out there. Oh joy.

I really do like the lore, but it could be more.
Last edited by Observato on Jul 18, 2015, 3:24:52 AM
I like Greust's character.
not everyone in Wraeclast has to go "here's the Exile! he/she'll save us all!" the moment they see you.
similarly to Kira a.k.a "I'm only talking to you because Oyun ordered me to", Greust doesn't like you. not one bit. he's only more vocal about it, than she is.

I do wish GGG take it to the same direction, Blizzard took Nihlathak: start as an antagonistic NPC. end up being full antagonist.
simply put, I'd like to kick Greust's ass, then go "who got the Spear in the throat now, huh?".
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
greust was always my fav NPC. he is so fucking special, 1st thing i have done after noticing that ggg did new ( in general bad) voice acting I come to act 2 to listen if greust still says
"
wat roubles u bring now
and
"
WHAT?
spitting is also awesome.

this guy nailed it
"
Zackro wrote:
See what you don't understand is the true lore of PoE.

They are the inhabitants of the island and have lived there. Many are ancestors to the old tribes that long since lingered on the isles for thousands of years.

However we came along...we decided having the coastal region being dominated by a Water-God like Merv. wasn't very good so we killed her. Little did we know that without that monster having such a large territory ownership other things began to move in. [in Merciless go back to act 1, you'll see Nessa now has light green eyes and her hands are darker, she has been corrupted, thus telling us something has moved into act 1 that shouldn't have been there with Merv's protection of her own territory].

Next we move on to the forest encampment, these are mostly the locals. They have a feud with some of the bandit lords but as you can tell everyone sticks to their own sides of the territory, and EVERYONE stays away from the Vaal pyramids because hey...it's a long lost civilization right? Well we don't because we are EXPLORERS!~ So we proceed to ravage the land, killing bandits [Which having 3 of them kept each other in check so that the forest encampment could never be fully attacked or ravaged...oh well guess we messed up that whole situation and gave power to one bandit] If for some reason you didn't side with a bandit you now no longer are following the story line [but that isn't a big deal all you'll miss is in merci after finishing act 2 all the way Eremir's feetthis again depicts corruption, have changed to a different color, if you sided with a bandit you'll notice the gateways leading to river/old fields are both battered now meaning they have been attacked]

Onward to Act 3!~ This is where things get a little weird. Tolman was kidnapped by piety? but why was tolman even out there....and better yet Clarissa is dressed as close to one of the guards as any npc? This is because Clarissa was and still is a black guard [To help hide this better GGG changed her scarf color during the Awakening beta+when it went live] She led tolman to his death and is secretly the leader of the BGs. Piety just happens to be the scape goat to better help her sink in to the sarn encampment.

Now Grigor is there, he knows something is up so that is why he keeps a close on on clarissa, he serves no other purpose.

After finishing act 3 in merci and heading into act 4 if you proceed to go back clarissa's bench is missing a few things on it...as well as the smithy's bench. I wonder where they went?

Onward to act 4, Because of all your acts up until now you've created so many opportunities to allow corruption in it's a wonder...are you actually working with Malachai? The answer is yes, you are. This is why every boss has fought you and has never "attacked" any of the villages they just so happen to live by. Why is it that humans fight against you on their side? Well my good sirs it is because you work for Malachai. But wait? Why does Malachai fight you? That is because you get greedy, it was never supposed to be he gets what he wants, you were the agent of corruption not him! Why should he get everything? With Malachai's dying breath he curses you to repeat your actions. Thus you go act 1-4 3 times, only succeeding to stop in Merci act4 because Zana appears to tell you that with her tool you can break the curse cast upon you, allowing you to break this hellish cycle.

Thus is the lore of PoE:The Awakening, and why Greust hates you because...he should.

Aye Aye Captain!
Last edited by jeż on Jul 18, 2015, 4:11:19 AM
hate him

in-universe it's HIS fault the pvp queues are broken!!!

they really shoud pick up the idea some user suggested and make the fireplace mtx interactive. I got something to burn...
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Jul 18, 2015, 4:26:48 AM
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
TC gotta be trolling here I can't believe someone can get pissed off at things like that. It s just a fucking game, don't you have real things in life to worry about?

so fail
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
"
"
FadeXF wrote:
I wouldn't say small minded... I felt it took some smarts to figure out that I just needed to turn off the dialogue volume and I no longer got spat on/at.

Just like I turned off global chats so I don't have to deal with any of you Exiles. May as well do it to the annoying NPCs too. ;p

Imagine how much money GGG would save if everyone felt that way. no voice recording, no need to spend time designing npcs...story?! lore?! pffft.

that's act 4 in a nutshell all right
Actually I thought everyone would love Gru est! O.o' I certainly do :D I can't understand why the changed the voice T_T
Visit my shop!

〆〆〆 ( ( ( THE BALROG'S BAZAAR ) ) ) 〆〆〆
"
coatofarms wrote:
Ok. this has been pissing me off for a long time. Greust has no right to exist. Srsly, he's a terrible NPC. He's virtually hated by everyone. Does anyone here even like him? He has a terrible personality. He's always in a bad mood.

Breaking news: People that are always in a bad mood have no right to exist! Sorry OP, but that really sounds like a nazi claim. A little bit more tolerance would be nice. Not everyone has such a funny life that he could always be in a good mood. Greust is ok, your attitude is not ok.

German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Greust Act 5 Boss confirmed, killing him will permanently remove him from the difficulty you killed him in.
Problem solved, burn the hater.
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info