[Build Help] Magma Orb, Self Made, Newb

Last edited by Kumabear032 on Jul 15, 2015, 10:41:26 PM
bUMP
Before even getting into the details of what is specifically important for a Magma Orb build, I recommend you take some time to learn some basic things about building the passive tree. I'll try to help you out:

Usually, you want to path through the passive nodes in the most efficient way possible. What I mean by "efficient" can be many things depending on the situation: looking for above average nodes, knowing which notables to aim for, choosing the shortest path to get to each important cluester, etc.

With this in mind let's look at how you allocated your points. For example, look at the Celestial Punishment and Celestial Judgement cluster. You correctly allocated those two notables which are great for elemental builds, and you correctly pathed through the fire nodes too, which boost Magma Orb. But look at those weak 6% nodes you took: two of them are unnecessary. As long as you allocate a type of node that boosts your skill, "damage is damage". What this means is that, for Magma Orb for example, there's no difference between 6% fire damage or 6% elemental damage. This means that those 2 12% fire damage nodes are much more efficient than the weak 6% elemental ones.

Another thing to look out for is which path you choose to take when traveling to further away nodes. You start templar and then go into the Witch tree, but you do so taking two different paths, which is unnecessary. Those intelligence and Dexterity nodes just above the Retribution notable are not needed, because you already travel to the Witch tree using the other path to the north of that, getting more fire damage from the Explosive Impact cluster as you go, which is more efficient. Always choose a path closer to the important clusters you need.

There's a lot more to be said but I think you could start with those basics.
Last edited by Rhoa_Power on Jul 16, 2015, 1:37:20 AM
Thank you, this info was acutally quite helpful, Any gear stats/ uniques you could recommend for this build?
"
Thank you, this info was acutally quite helpful, Any gear stats/ uniques you could recommend for this build?

A lot of uniques works for this build. Common spellcaster Uniques like Rathpith, Saffel's Frame, Lifesprig and Reverberation Rod (for leveling), Pledge of Hands and so on. There is a lot of good uniques, but almost all of them will not be as good as a good rare. :)

GL HF. :)

I'm actually trying a Magma Orb Templar as well, however my approach is more tank-centered.
My actual Skill Tree is far from optimal and I prefer armor over energy shield, but with
Magma Orb linked with Conc. Effect and Spell Echo I have nearly 5k DPS on lvl 50 - far more
than I need now and I have a simple access to more dmg shall I need it.

Once more - I will optimize the tree when I'll have a better idea what I want with it.
I use Anger (I don't have RF yet and I'm actually not sure about it - no energy shield,
but i have loads of HP and will have even more since I want to take Unrelenting now)
and Arctic Armour (reflect!).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

Tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAA3UJqhJpFm8XHBhlGmwdFCSqJy8qjTbYNuk6WDrYPAVJG1XGWHdfBF8qaPJxeXRVfEt8u4Kbi4yOZI9GkFWRK5Z0mjuboZ2un9-iAKyYtoa2-sBmwJrVptn84XPjauQi7DjsVe0g7TzvfPFs96b31_nd-tI=
Last edited by obiwan80 on Jul 16, 2015, 7:54:47 AM
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAAW8DdQQHBLMJqhBYES0abBzcHwIo-iqNLJwyNDbFNtg6WEbXSRtVxlh3XGtfBGP9ZlRo8nGFcg965nyDgpuD24RIhXuHZYt6i4yPGpErlG-WdJo7na6iAKcIrJivt7FCtoa4k8BmwJrDbdWm2CTZ_No64XPi9-Qi6-7sOOxV7SDtPPAf8WzzEfnd?accountName=Kumabear032&characterName=FookSoftcoreKuma

Update Passive Tree think i'm doing this right

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info