Scour orb for gems

I was thinking that it would be useful to have an "orb of scouring" for gems that would remove the level requirements. Some gems & supports are pretty hard to find especially with quality. There have been characters that I have built and played that I am simply not happy with due to my error in building. When that happens, I delete the toon and create another and try again to get it just right. It would be nice if you could wipe those gems back to level 1 to use again on new builds. Of course the orb would be rare and not easy to find.

Additionally, the ability to wipe gems would increase trading of those unwanted/no longer used gems as well. Once a gem reachs a certain level (regardless of quality) it pretty much becomes non-tradable because people don't want to wait until level 40-50 to use an item they just traded. There are a few gems that are so rare that you can probably unload them regardless of level BUT those are the gems that you'll probably want to keep and reuse for different builds.
Protip: high level gems (for skills/supports people actually use) with good quality are very valuable to players who are already in endgame and would like to replace their non-quality gems with quality ones before burning a bunch of those very rare GQU's to max it out.
I'm in the process of re-leveling poison arrow and temporal chains to use quality ones I found... I have them stuck in extra sockets on my gear just to level them up. If I were buying quality gems, I would consider level 18+ ones to be more valuable as they'd take less time to max out.
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
Last edited by taekvideo on Nov 27, 2011, 2:37:59 AM
I don't see the point in wiping them when you can just trade for the level you want.People will have several of the same gem while being short on others which is where trading comes in.If you wipe them to level 1 there will be an over saturation of low level gems.
Or, once again they could just make gems scale down to the level of the character, regardless of the gem's level. Solves other problems at the same time.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
unsane wrote:
Or, once again they could just make gems scale down to the level of the character, regardless of the gem's level. Solves other problems at the same time.

As you'll see with our 0.9.4 changes, we've taken a route that differs from this.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
unsane wrote:

As stated again, this would cause a massive amount of gem inflation over time. As it is there will already be quite a bit.

I still vote having a way to trade in 3 gems for a random gem drop to cut down on gem overflow.
I just find that I can't find anyone to trade me a level 1 multiple projectile and a level 1 concentrated AOE gem for the level 18 gems I have. The Conc AOE I have is 7% quality and no one has the equivalent to trade me and multiple projectiles also seems very hard to find. Playing a new witch to level 58 so I can use the ones I have doesn't seem fun to me. I want to use them WHILE I play her.
"
EvilVixen wrote:
I just find that I can't find anyone to trade me a level 1 multiple projectile and a level 1 concentrated AOE gem for the level 18 gems I have. The Conc AOE I have is 7% quality and no one has the equivalent to trade me and multiple projectiles also seems very hard to find. Playing a new witch to level 58 so I can use the ones I have doesn't seem fun to me. I want to use them WHILE I play her.

Isn't the current way to party up and drop items in an instant.I think that will be cutting a lot of potential traders out as well as there being less people than there will be in final.

Have you tried trading on forum.Also it might be worth selling your items for currency then buying what you want with the currency rather than trying to do a straight swap.
If I thought I could trade them for currency and find someone to trade with later believe me I would, but again..no one seems to have what I want trade wise and I don't want to risk trading them off for some orbs that I really don't need just to be in the position of not having the supports I want at all. My suggestion was just that...a suggestion. For the most part gems and supports can be acquired through trading but when you finally get the hard to find supports and gems you really do want to hang on to them (at least I do). That's why I suggested the orb to wipe them be hard to find and spendy to trade. I would be willing to trade some pretty good stuff for an orb like that - just to hang on to the multi proj & concentrated AOE that I already have.
"
Chris wrote:
"
unsane wrote:

As you'll see with our 0.9.4 changes, we've taken a route that differs from this.

My comment was made in response to the changes you are making in 0.9.4 (that is, click to level-up). I disagree with the way you're changing it, since it doesn't really solve most of the issues with the current system. It gives the illusion of fixing it.

Or rather, it fixes one issue, but doesn't address the larger issues that i'm concerned with: being stuck with a bunch of high-level gems that my alts can't use. They are supposed to be improved versions (leveled up through my hard work), yet they are unusable.

"
jcjunglebob wrote:
As stated again, this would cause a massive amount of gem inflation over time. As it is there will already be quite a bit.

I still vote having a way to trade in 3 gems for a random gem drop to cut down on gem overflow.

Admittedly i haven't read any pre-0.9.3 threads about gem inflation. In any case hey can deal with gem inflation just as with any other item, through the vendors. I doubt their making gems "bind-on-level" was for inflation concerns. If it was, then why not make items bind-on-equip too?

Keep in mind i am coming at this from the hardcore league perspective. Highly leveled gems unusable by low levels might have high trade value in default, where everyone is eventually super-high level. But hardcore is completely different.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Nov 30, 2011, 3:57:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info