Wild Strike!

"
Take NOTE this is a theory craft thread and not a known 'op' build thread this build utilizes self found with the physical conversion of the yet to be tested Wild Strike gem and is purely here for theory crafting!!!!!
Hey guys fleshed out my Wild Strike trees. Just looking for any comments/criticism or insight. I'm going to go dual wield crit as Ranger, Shadow or Dualist (probably will go shadow since he has the best verbal lines). Wild Strike is flagged as a projectile so it makes navigating that side of the tree efficiently that much more easier.
"
"
Some notes I'll probably have the Jewel node near Cloth & Chain swapped with Reflexes due to 3 sockets being more than enough until very late game. Don't know about the Frenzy nodes yet as the only way I'd see having upkeep is with Frenzy and/or Poachers Mark. It is worth mentioning Frenzy does awesome damage now and might be the way to go as well as Wild Strike having meh in terms of single target dps. (This isn't even a question as things do not chain to the same target)
"
Although 100% will never happen one can dream and I do realize WS does not hit with both weapons but IDK the implicit increased attack speed I hope will make up for it (Twin Terrors is so much crit D:). I also truly wish there was a reverse Lionseye Fall gem for those sweet sweet King of the hill nodes with some Empire's grasp action but alas there is not! (*cough* plz GGG *cough*)
"
AKA HC tree although I know I'd still RiP in Pieces cuz I always do on HC. The Dualist and Ranger trees are pretty much strictly better with ranger being slightly more balanced early levels.
"
Both are the same in taking the other starter node that happens to be useful unlike Shadow.
"
"
Active gems would probably be Whirling Blades, Wild Strike obviously, Ice Golem and Assassins Mark. IDK what auras yet probably Grace, Vaal Grace and Herald of Ash. Toss up between Rallying Cry and Enduring Cry. If Frenzy, Frenzy for single target and Poachers for the Curse. Thanks guys!
Last edited by Fivefingerheist on Jul 10, 2015, 9:54:42 AM
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2018, 9:22:26 AM
I'd focus on general scaling over projectile damage, possibly build it as a crit ele build so I can scale all of the damage with wed and crit. The skill is too diverse to scale it either as melee, projectile or AoE.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
I'd focus on general scaling over projectile damage, possibly build it as a crit ele build so I can scale all of the damage with wed and crit. The skill is too diverse to scale it either as melee, projectile or AoE.
I feel that it is good to still focus on one aspect with the tree and play with the gems. AoE might only effect the blast and 'Ice wave'. Projectile hmmm who knows but the skill will always base it's damage off of your physical conversion. The basis for this build was that projectile damage will effect it in some way so it makes navigating the tree a lot more efficient. I only took three projectile nodes two have multiple effects. Before this skill it was inefficient to do so. Nice alternate concept though I'll have to look at the tree more to see if it might be good to pick up crit nodes only with elemental damage/AoE I just do not like the thought of trying to force past the Physical conversion aspect of the skill. Thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by Fivefingerheist on Jul 10, 2015, 9:17:52 AM
I'd say they made it difficult to scale on purpose so you would specialize in elemental dmaage instead of focusing on damage form. Ice wave would be a projectile like freezing pulse, explosion would be melee AoE and arc might even be neither, so scaling 1/3 of your secondary effect is inefficient. We know precious little about the skill but it does seem interesting.

I think it might be best to think of it as molten strike. It has the same dmg conversion to elemental. Going full physical seems to be the way to go.
"
Miská wrote:
Going full physical seems to be the way to go.

Well, scaling it on tree isn't much of a problem, you could always go for weapon-specific increases. Supports are a bit trickier as you wouldn't get stellar results out of usual dps supports like MPD,PPAD or Conc. But I suppose you could do physical scaling if you go MS-AF-WED with Hatred and AoF.

Another thing to note about going elemental is the possibility to eliminate the damage randomness, as very little damage will get converted to a random element, so you could focus on, say, lightning damage on buffs and equipment and use penetration.

Last edited by raics on Jul 10, 2015, 8:37:43 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Miská wrote:

Well, scaling it on tree isn't much of a problem, you could always go for weapon-specific increases. Supports are a bit trickier as you wouldn't get stellar results out of usual dps supports like MPD,PPAD or Conc. But I suppose you could do physical scaling if you go MS-AF-WED with Hatred and AoF.

Another thing to note about going elemental is the possibility can eliminate the damage randomness, as very little damage will get converted to a random element, so you could focus on, say, lightning damage on buffs and equipment and use penetration.

Ye there is still much to be found out, wich we can't determine until we can use the skill. I've been thinking about starting out with Wild strike because it seems really fun. I don't want a dead character though, so ye.
"
Miská wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"
Miská wrote:

Another thing to note about going elemental is the possibility can eliminate the damage randomness, as very little damage will get converted to a random element, so you could focus on, say, lightning damage on buffs and equipment and use penetration.

Ye there is still much to be found out, wich we can't determine until we can use the skill. I've been thinking about starting out with Wild strike because it seems really fun. I don't want a dead character though, so ye.

Yes good point this is why I focused on the physical part of the skill as it seems to be the only reliable part of the damage unless you scale 1 part of the skill (We have yet to see how 'random' it is though will it cycle or possibly spam one type of damage?). I didn't go Resolute Technique (RT is probably less damage unless you get elemental effect nodes and very good gear) and went Iron Reflexes (A known SF keystone as having perfect gear always trumps the benefits) with specific weapon nodes because I mostly play self found and I should have noted that!!! (My shield builds take nodes that can scale with most any 1-handed weapons). All in all this is NOT a build to win the laptop competition but purely theory crafting. I also purposely had the build near the Point Blank keystone as we have yet too see how that effects it (Chin Sol can't effect this skill as it is melee.)
Last edited by Fivefingerheist on Jul 10, 2015, 9:48:21 AM
Sooon soon...

My suspicion is that blast is aoe tagged, wave aoe+projectile, and the bolt is just projectile.
Or its arc and won't be tagged with projectile.
With AOE it will be easy to see the effect , for projectile it will probably require dev clarification.

Scaling - it must scale with weapon damage and physical. It also should scale with melee damage but it might not - here should be noticable with more phys damage gem.

But i belive to really benefit from this gem you need to explot the status ailments. Only omni notes for that are in templar - 2 for 5% each. Could be ok but proliferation got ripped so it is just crit left.

as for weapon I was thinking about making crit staff but saw the demon fangs axe today and i'm like "OMG"... not sure how to go with it now :S

On the side... did ailment duration got nerfed ? it's 60ms for 1% life for shock, freeze and chill. I only found info where Freeze was 100ms and shock 230 for 1% but its from 2013 so...
Last edited by Stt3r0 on Jul 10, 2015, 10:56:58 AM
"
Stt3r0 wrote:
Sooon soon...

My suspicion is that blast is aoe tagged, wave aoe+projectile, and the bolt is just projectile.
Or its arc and won't be tagged with projectile.
With AOE it will be easy to see the effect , for projectile it will probably require dev clarification.

Scaling - it must scale with weapon damage and physical. It also should scale with melee damage but it might not - here should be noticable with more phys damage gem.

But i belive to really benefit from this gem you need to explot the status ailments. Only omni notes for that are in templar - 2 for 5% each. Could be ok but proliferation got ripped so it is just crit left.

as for weapon I was thinking about making crit staff but saw the demon fangs axe today and i'm like "OMG"... not sure how to go with it now :S

On the side... did ailment duration got nerfed ? it's 60ms for 1% life for shock, freeze and chill. I only found info where Freeze was 100ms and shock 230 for 1% but its from 2013 so...
I do not think the mechanics for status ailments got changed that much other than how shock works BUT the Elemental Proliferation gem will be nerfed heavily in the awakening patch it will have a 30% less damage modifier and have a far smaller AoE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info