Gem swapping in fights - do we want this?

I see more and more people juggle support gems as a normal part of gameplay, changing out a coverage increasing gem for a single target focused gem before going against a boss or unique, and even in the middle of boss fights (add phases). Most builds don't use two-handers, and this is a way to emulate multiple 5/6Ls - and even the builds that do have a second 5/6L often prefer to put a supportive combo in there (a movement skill with Curse on Hit and Fortify, for example).

I think this is disruptive to the flow of the game and breaks immersion. I have no problem with changing the build around in town of course, that would follow a player decision to break gameplay, like selling and banking does (and costs a portal).

Some examples of support gem pairings:

Increased AoE <--> Conc Effect
Melee Splash <--> red dps gem (e.g. Added Fire)
Chain/Pierce <--> Slower Proj (or preferred green dps gem)
LMP/GMP <--> Slower Proj

The last one on the list is being made much more common for spellcasters after the shotgunning nerf coming with 2.0.
Some ppl will even carry an alternate version of their chestpiece around in their inventory and swap in a completely different skill setup in the middle of a fight.

So, do we want this practice to be the standard of how we play this game? Or would you prefer gems and items "locked in" while inside endgame maps, Diablo 3 style? Or do you have an idea for a milder sort of penalty (like flasks, that start empty when swapped in inside a map)?

I have no problems with swappings.
Personally speaking, inventory swapping in general during fights is one of my favorite mechanics. I can't quite put my finger on why. It's just something I like.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Dont take away our freedom DansGame.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
I've thought about this, and I think it's funny how PoE has a weapon swap key just like the Diablo 2 expansion, when it really should be a gem swapping key for an alternate setup. Can't say that I like mucking around in my inventory, but I like failure even less, so I do what I have to.

Not that I've ever been to the Apex of Sacrifice. I have to swap gems all the time just in regular play because I use crappy gear that I don't want to spend currency on by adding sockets or links. I guess I should change that though, so I can at least level up more gems.
I still dont understand why u dont want it. If u dont like it, dont do it. It is not like snapshoting making some thing op.

One beauty of poe is, that u can do a build, which is suited for several skill. While not benig able to use them all at same time, u can still swap some gems to adapt. Being limited to 1-2 skills.

If u can go to town, change things and come back, than i dont see, why u shouldnt be able to do it in the field. Just adds unnecessary hassle.
"
1337fun wrote:
If u can go to town, change things and come back, than i dont see, why u shouldnt be able to do it in the field.
In maps it costs a portal to 'go to town', and you only get six portals per map. So that's where locking a gem setup could be enforced.
If people want to micromanage their gems during combat, they should have that option. This suggestion doesn't add any value to the game.
Beyond using a weapon swap, swapping gems around mid-combat is not something I want to do.

That said - if people are willing to go to that level of micromanagement, I see no problem with letting them do so.
Last edited by Nobake on Jul 6, 2015, 5:25:09 PM
At least PoE doesn't have those huge inventory occupying Charms that gave stat boosts like in Diablo 2...
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info