Instead of removing eternal, change their mechanics

As I can recall the original intent of eternal orbs was to eternal an item while it was 5L6S, then if you didn't 6L it you could use the eternal to retain your 5L. Also make them work with colours too.

I think this would fix the main problem with eternals, which is obviously crafting 6T1 items.

Considering this would be a lot less useful then eternals in their current state, buff the drop rate to somewhere between a vaal and a divine.

This would not only stop the current inflation of eternal orbs, but it would also stop the crafting of 6T1 items in the future.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The smart way to craft sockets is:
1. Acquire an extra copy of the item you wish to craft
2. Apply orbs to this second copy while continuing to wear the first copy
3. Eventually succeed and equip second copy
4. Sell first copy, recouping in full the expense of Step 1

The investment in Step 1 is thus a deposit and not a fee; you get the entire investment back once complete.

For players who craft with intelligence, the orb you describe is worthless. The original concept of the Eternal Orb has always been worthless, existing only to be subverted towards some unintended end.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 6, 2015, 2:01:55 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

For players who craft with intelligence, the orb you describe is worthless. The original concept of the Eternal Orb has always been worthless, existing only to be subverted towards some unintended end.

You can't acquire an extra copy of a rare unless it's mirrored.
"
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

In that case, wear a slightly less optimal rare while crafting it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

In that case, wear a slightly less optimal rare while crafting it.

I can still see it being useful in some circumstances though, specifically for changing socket colours on mirrored items. Or if you only have one copy of an expensive unique like shavs.
"
I can still see it being useful in some circumstances though, specifically for changing socket colours on mirrored items.
Fair enough. But that only justifies a drop rate even less common than a Mirror. It is also an extremely niche use.
"
Or if you only have one copy of an expensive unique like shavs.
If you trade for a second Shavs the net cost is zero. Using an orb is an actual cost. The only people who wound care are folks too poor to get a second Shav's, yet simultaneously rich enough to potentially lose 2000 Fusings attempting to 6L something. Those two Venn diagrams do not have much overlap, if any.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 6, 2015, 2:15:52 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
I can still see it being useful in some circumstances though, specifically for changing socket colours on mirrored items.
Fair enough. But that only justifies a drop rate even less common than a Mirror. It is also an extremely niche use.
"
Or if you only have one copy of an expensive unique like shavs.
If you trade for a second Shavs the net cost is zero. Using an orb is an actual cost. The only people who wound care are folks too poor to get a second Shav's, yet simultaneously rich enough to potentially lose 2000 Fusings attempting to 6L something. Those two Venn diagrams do not have much overlap, if any.

Good points. In the OP I said the rarity should be between a vaal and a divine, due to less overall usefulness of the orb. I still think people would use them, say if they wanted to gamble on fusing something in less than 1500 fusings.

EDIT: Misread your post as more common, not less. Still good points. I just think would do away with the current inflation of Eternals while simultaneously reducing the overall usefulness of them.
Last edited by zalfargia on Jul 6, 2015, 2:30:01 PM
No one should have to make a copy of an item in order to save its socket/link state.
An item is not "ruined" by a socket/link change.
You can continue randomizing sockets/links to eventually get back what you lost.
Affixes are not so temporary; you cannot just get rid of an affix at will.
There is no way GGG was so naïve to have designed Eternals to be strictly intended for sockets/links.
If GGG wanted a "save sockets/links" function, then they could have achieved it in a much more specific, less round-about manner, and in a format that had no other potential use(s).
The functional intention of the Eternal was exactly what it ended up being used for.
GGG is just trying to protect the economy by restricting its top end.
High end crafters are clearly relentless, and they will churn on the new top-end base items and top-tier mods until they have created items that will never be surpassed in power.
I am sure that GGG will re-introduce Eternals at some point in the future so that mega end-game crafters will again have extra ambitious goals to shoot for.
Imo, altering the functionality of Eternals to be socket/link specific would be a very poor decision.
TY to those who called me out on my BS on these forums. There is no benefit to being so selfish as to fail to acknowledge others' differing beliefs of what "should be" or believe your own opinions so supreme as to be factual and thus dismiss others' opinions as being somehow a lie or delusional.
Last edited by Perfect_Black on Jul 6, 2015, 2:43:21 PM
"
Perfect_Black wrote:
No one should have to make a copy of an item in order to save its socket/link state.
An item is not "ruined" by a socket/link change.
You can continue randomizing sockets/links to eventually get back what you lost.
Affixes are not so temporary; you cannot just get rid of an affix at will.
There is no way GGG was so naïve to have designed Eternals to be strictly intended for sockets/links.
If GGG wanted a "save sockets/links" function, then they could have achieved it in a much more specific, less round-about manner, and in a format that had no other potential use(s).
The functional intention of the Eternal was exactly what it ended up being used for.
GGG is just trying to protect the economy by restricting its top end.
High end crafters are clearly relentless, and they will churn on the new top-end base items and top-tier mods until they have created items that will never be surpassed in power.
I am sure that GGG will re-introduce Eternals at some point in the future so that mega end-game crafters will again have extra ambitious goals to shoot for.
Imo, altering the functionality of Eternals to be socket/link specific would be a very poor decision.

One of the devs said that the original main purpose was to save sockets and links. They didn't intend for them to be used for gg crafts.

I can't find the source though unfortunately because that was a couple years ago.
Someone posted an interesting idea in another thread. What if we removed mirrors instead and let people et/ex their own items. Maybe make them drop a little more often so that people actually have a chance in perm leagues to finish their items.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info