Change Scouring function to partially replace Eternal function

Orb of Scouring should be changed to:
Randomly removes one property from an item. Right click this item then left click on a magic or rare item to apply it.

"But what about Scouring an item to Chance it multiple times to get a unique?"
In that case the current Scouring is a glorified white base item, which doesn't put it in a very good place. Plus, unless you actually get a unique, you could still use (multiple) new Scourings to clear it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 6, 2015, 12:20:28 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Yeah I don't think this would be used to "partially" replace the Eternal's function because it's too fucking yolo.

You spend a bunch getting a T1 mod and then you get a shit mod, and you use the scour to remove a mod, and you lose your T1 instead.

Too much rekt! XD
Or you get lucky, remove the shit mod, and salvage the item.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Repercussions thought of, posted below.
Guide - How To Get Started in Path of Exile - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1297390
My Feedback Analysis Thread - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1270724
Last edited by Jaxxxson on Jul 6, 2015, 5:37:22 PM
That actually sounds pretty good. You can use the scouring after alt-regal if the regal is bad (1 in 3 chance, good but not too good) and, if alt-regal successful but exalt unsuccessful, again regal (1 in 4 is still acceptable after you've invested lots of alts + regal + exalt).

Or if you get an item with 2-3 excellent mods and a shitty one.

It would also change scouring's current status from a "probably never gonna happen" chance-scour gamble, occasional mastercrafting or 1/2 regret to something more interesting and widely used.

Another idea: make scour remove a random number of mods from 1 to 6. That would be complete chaos XD

p.s. if scour removes one mod, people could use it on uniques with drawbacks. I'm not sure that would be good. But I guess it can be blocked from using on uniques.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 6, 2015, 2:25:44 PM
That's a pretty cool Markov Chain to model.

Start from 2T1, accounting for however many trans/alt/augs/base items that takes.

From there you have x% on the exalt to get to 3T1. Else 2T1,Bad.
From 2T1,Bad, you have 33% chance to return to 2T1, else 1T1,Bad (which is a failure state).

From 3T1, you have (slightly less) x% on the exalt to 4T1. Else 3T1,Bad.
From 3T1,Bad, you have 25% chance to return to 3T1, else 2T1,Bad.

same with 4T1 (20% on the scour).
same with 5T1 (16% on the scour).

The tricky part is just figuring out that forward X%, since each time you get a mod, you reduce the affix pool by all lower tiers of that mod. Also filling your prefixes/suffixes greatly reduces the affix pool.

Anyway, it would allow for 6T1 at slightly better than random, but it wouldn't be nearly as huge a multiplier as Eternals.

---

This increases the scour+chance cost by a fuckton. Say you 6L a white Occultist's. Previously it was 1chance+1scour per attempt, after this change it'd be 1chance+Nscour, where N is 1-6. 1/4 chance at rare, so... average something like N=2.3 scours.

---

Also this would allow for a 1-affix rare item. :P
"
Bars wrote:
p.s. if scour removes one mod, people could use it on uniques with drawbacks. I'm not sure that would be good. But I guess it can be blocked from using on uniques.
Reread the OP carefully. ;)
"
pneuma wrote:
Spoiler
That's a pretty cool Markov Chain to model.

Start from 2T1, accounting for however many trans/alt/augs/base items that takes.

From there you have x% on the exalt to get to 3T1. Else 2T1,Bad.
From 2T1,Bad, you have 33% chance to return to 2T1, else 1T1,Bad (which is a failure state).

From 3T1, you have (slightly less) x% on the exalt to 4T1. Else 3T1,Bad.
From 3T1,Bad, you have 25% chance to return to 3T1, else 2T1,Bad.

same with 4T1 (20% on the scour).
same with 5T1 (16% on the scour).

The tricky part is just figuring out that forward X%, since each time you get a mod, you reduce the affix pool by all lower tiers of that mod. Also filling your prefixes/suffixes greatly reduces the affix pool.

Anyway, it would allow for 6T1 at slightly better than random, but it wouldn't be nearly as huge a multiplier as Eternals.

---

This increases the scour+chance cost by a fuckton. Say you 6L a white Occultist's. Previously it was 1chance+1scour per attempt, after this change it'd be 1chance+Nscour, where N is 1-6. 1/4 chance at rare, so... average something like N=2.3 scours.

---

Also this would allow for a 1-affix rare item. :P
This might need to be accompanied with a decrease to Scouring droprates. Hopefully nothing too extreme.

I feel a 1-affix item, or a 1-prefix 1-suffix item, should be reverted to magic. A 3-affix item would thus have a 1 in 3 chance of becoming magic (which may or may not coincide with removing the undesirable affix).
Oh, right, magic or rare. I blame the Internet, people get used to skimming through huge amounts of information and not paying attention.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Alright, the reason they're getting rid of eternals is that they feel it gives too much control on making a perfect item. Making this change would be counter-productive with their goal, on top of this it would further bury alchemy's use. The way their system will work will promote people who want to gamble to spend more exalts, which will in turn create a bigger demand for them and creating a healthy price for them as opposed to raising the prices of scours and belittling alchemy orbs even further.
Guide - How To Get Started in Path of Exile - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1297390
My Feedback Analysis Thread - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1270724
Dare i post this up in here..

"
Corrupted Exalted orb: 50% chance to create an eternal orb image which can be used to restore the item to the version before you exalted it. Basically, you get an extra chance to exalt 50% of the time. 10% chance to remove an affix instead of adding one.

Damn im a cheeky bastard.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/958335 If you examine closely you will find it feeds into the comments in this thread and addresses/agrees with most the concerns. For example, promotes attempted crafting for masses.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 6, 2015, 6:00:52 PM
You know what really belittles Orbs of Alchemy? The map affix system.

And if we feel so strongly about the pseudo-Chaos combo we could add a vendor formula for Alch+Scour=Chaos.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info