Change always scares us

Trying to be brief.

When has GGG done something without thought.
Lets just assume that in the future eternals might be one of the several options to achieve the same goal - perfect gear. Since now, every time there is just one option for something really strong GGG has offered us a way around it:
rf without rotp (leo shield dop reduction)
ll no epic chest
mjolir - coc
phase run (older players will know) 2 flask+ new phase run next patch.

Taka a deep breath. GGG will offer possibilities to bypass the lack of drops for eternal orbs.

If that is not the case though, GGG, please consider rebalancing not just removing. Every great game has been ruined when developers start doing balances trough removal.
eternals apply strong magic on the items, why not mix that with corruptions.
*eternals have a chance of corrupting the item*
*eternals corrupt the item after an exact number of uses on the same item*
"exalting once the item has been imprinted might corrupt the it"

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
baivasobai wrote:
Every great game has been ruined when developers start doing balances trough removal.

[citation needed]

---

Change only scares permanent league players. Temp league players (a.k.a. GGG's target demographic) live for change.

If perfect gear isn't attainable in a 4month window, that's long enough to say that perfect gear doesn't exist.
If you implement a league structure into your game, and you have a "target demographic," you're horribly inept at using your own tools. The point of having leagues is that you have target demographicS.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The point of having leagues is that you have target demographicS.

they stated that they care for both demographics
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
read:
We throw standard a bone now and then. Temp leaguers find this behavior puzzling out-of-context.
However, standard players will be frequently bewildered at having the rug pulled out from under them a lot.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Jul 6, 2015, 3:54:55 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
If you implement a league structure into your game, and you have a "target demographic," you're horribly inept at using your own tools. The point of having leagues is that you have target demographicS.

The "temporary league demographic" is a wide net:
- Hardcore or Softcore?
- L100 or altaholic?
- Trader or ssf?
- Party or solo?
- Targeted MF or just kill stuff?
- Lore-heavy or meta-gamey?

All of these are supported inside of the "temporary league demographic". Each one could be its own league if GGG wanted to fracture things up and use their tools properly. ("The Hardcore roleplay league for people who like to solo to L100 and MF and trade" kinda has a nice ring to it.)

The one thing that they can't support which they keep trying (fruitlessly, terribly) to support is people that want to play a game that doesn't change.

---

I hadn't actually read the thread that Vio linked until now. Charan was exactly right -- the ideal (read: imaginary) player for PoE is one that starts in the new leagues and follows along with GGG's changes, enjoying the game over and over and over again.

Anything less than total commitment to GGG's changes is just an unhealthy relationship.
"
pneuma wrote:
- Hardcore or Softcore?
- L100 or altaholic?
No. Maybe level 100 and altaholic, but only because you've created a false dichotomy. Hating or enjoying starting over is a key separator. Oh, and "hardcore" and "hates rerolls" are mutually exclusive.
"
pneuma wrote:
- Trader or ssf?
- Party or solo?
Okay.
"
pneuma wrote:
Kind of. But mostly no. There's a pretty cool legacy gem for the dedicated MFer.
"
pneuma wrote:
Okay.

But really, the first two... that's just way off. Way, way off.

Like it or not, a lot of people who play the game want it not to change. I'm not one of these folks - so very, very far from it - but at least I understand them. And there is a league for them, because although GGG certainly isn't going to stop changing, they at least have the sense to value these players enough to meet them halfway, sometimes, in those cases when league separation allows them to.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 6, 2015, 5:16:22 AM
Yes, permanent players dislike change... But future permanent players will, whether they know it or not, be thankful for the change, as the future is made better for THEM. GGG had to make a very forward-looking decision here.
"
pneuma wrote:
- Hardcore or Softcore?
- L100 or altaholic?
- Trader or ssf?
- Party or solo?

To be honest, temp leagues are FAR less trade-heavy than the endgame in standard. I wind up spending about half my time for Standard either trying to maintain my shop by researching prices, adjusting things in Procurement, waiting for replies or buyers to show up... Or shopping to buy something myself.

I've made it to the endgame in temp leagues... And it's far simpler there. I trade, yes, but it's a matter of "pick up an easy upgrade here and there." It's not possible to do temp leagues without a fair degree of self-found-ness.

As for the other stuff, you are implying as if the game has to follow a strict hierarchical dichotomy: that the playerbase can ONLY be divided, rather than shared; so there's no HARD boundary between leagues, just those that they merely lean towards: people who like creating lots of alts can do both permanent and temporary leagues; the latter contradicts just sticking with one character forever. It's possible to hit 100, but largely restricted to only some of the most dedicated and elite players to get it before it closes.

"
pneuma wrote:
the ideal (read: imaginary) player for PoE is one that starts in the new leagues and follows along with GGG's changes, enjoying the game over and over and over again.

More importantly, GGG realizes that their ideal player, in the end, is someone who comes to the game brand-new and STAYS there.

I feel a lot of the current playerbase fails to recognize that each half of the equation is just as important. GGG has stated on more than a few occasions that their big goal is to be successful through a full decade with this game. And if there's no new players coming in... Any reduced amount of player loss is still a shrinking playerbase. The game has to be kept appealing to players who've not had a chance to get a leg up on everyone else by "having been there from day 1." (A lot of MMOs suffer from this problem; they're dominated by a small portion of players who have an unassailable edge, and the game often collapses as a result)

And like any major problem, GGG is demonstrating that their wisdom in recognizing that there's no sort, easy, simple answer: it has to be tackled from a wide range of angles. Having temp leagues is only one step, by offering a chance at frequent new economies. Logic dictates that permanent leagues will continue to grow as each temporary league feeds them more characters, so they cannot be ignored either. So sometimes, some hard decisions have to be made, that in the immediate terms, cause pain, but in the long term, is for the better.

GGG is thinking not just about the current playerbase, but of players who've not even heard of Path of Exile... YET. (But they will!)
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Last edited by ACGIFT on Jul 6, 2015, 5:22:51 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Like it or not, a lot of people who play the game want it not to change. I'm not one of these folks - so very, very far from it - but at least I understand them. And there is a league for them, because although GGG certainly isn't going to stop changing, they at least have the sense to value these players enough to meet them halfway, sometimes, in those cases when league separation allows them to.

Lots of words, but how exactly do you actually plan to support those players? Freeze the game at a certain version and then have temp leagues dump into Void League? Anything else is just going to piss off some large percentage of the current Standard players.

The real, true way to please Standard is to stop working on the game (except maybe some bug fixes here and there, maybe a new "super"-endgame (Uber Uber Atziri?)).

---

To both of the above, of course those lines aren't hard cuts. There are people that care about both sides (say, hardcore and softcore) just as there are people that really, really don't care about one side at all (say, people who only ever play one character).

GGG currently buckets all of those people into either HC perm, SC perm, HC temp, SC temp, or Races. If they really wanted to use their tool of league separation correctly, they could do so and increase player happiness a fair bit.

I contend that there is only one real hard cut which is the decision about permanence. It's the only problem that GGG has no solution for, has never had a solution for, and Standard continues to be "permanentish".

---

@ACGIFT: Your entire post implies that GGG survives on new player churn. If there's one way to kill a game, that's it.

There is a multi-year community here and there is a backbone of people that are playing the game as GGG has designed it. Throwing them a bone is far from the dumbest thing they could do. Planning on players to get tired of the game and leave, is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info