A returning players Questions.

Hi there PoE Community i once was a quite frequent visitor of these forums and played a shitload of PoE with over 200 hours of playtime under my belt and characters in both standard and hardcore leagues but ultimately ended up quiting the game quite some time ago.

Since i'm missing the goold old ARPG feeling and PoE certainly is the best ARPG on the market - my opinion - i want to get into it again but as we all know it's an incredibly complex game and due to all of the changes and the time that passed i feel pretty much like a noob again.

So basically what i hope to get here is a bit of help starting out again, my favourite character was always the templar since i hate pants and thats where i want to start again but i'm quite unsure which builds are played at the moment and wether the stuff i remember to play still works.

The 3 builds i enjoyed most:

1. My all time favourite the "Quill Rain Explosive Arrow Build" - is that thing still around? Does it still work and is it viable?

2. The "Spark Totem Build" i remember this being nerfed quite badly and being almost unplayable by the time i have decided to leave the game how does it do now?

3. "Lightning Strike" - Self explanatory.... whats up with that?

So if you could answer those questions for me that would be great, i am happy about any piece of general advice as well.
Are there new things - like "new" in the sense of added in the last two years - that i absolutely need to know? Are there crucial new mechanics, items, crafting options that i should be aware of?

Thanks in advance to all of the replies!
1. Yes, it works and is viable, not much changed about it.

2. Unfortunately, it never recovered, Spark is workable in certain setups, but Spark totem isn't high profile anymore. In Awakening spell totems will be decent again, but Spark has some new problems in addition to the old ones. The good news is lightning spells have quite a selection now, so there's no reason to get stuck on Spark.

3. It's still decent, but Static Strike currently owns it front and back as the best conversion skill around, next to Ice Crash.

The base is pretty much the same, but there was a crapload of changes over these two years, it would take quite some time even if I did know where to start. Best go with what you know and ask whenever you run into anything funny or need advice/clarification.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Thank you for the reply, that was already pretty helpful :)

One follow up question though: If i want to go for a totem build which ones are the popular options right now?
Currently, native totems are the only good options for a dedicated totemist. Both Flame and Shockwave totem are strong in their own right, but Flame totem is a bit more popular because it's easier to use, you don't have to be too careful with placement.

Yeah, Shockwave Totem is one of those changes, it scales with spell damage now and kicks a lot of ass.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Thanks again, totem build it will be!
dont know about any other totem buffs, but there is unique jewel that adds 2 projectiles to totems in exchange for reduced damage only. And the second one giving %life to them
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Jul 6, 2015, 4:22:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info