Need help with a Shadow Fire Nova Mine experiment

Basically I saw the new fire nova mine and was really excited about the possibilities this skill presented. I sought to make a crit based build with fire nova mine as the primary damage dealer, bear trap for single target/boss stuff, and a coldsnap trap for power charge generation and crowd control.
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBbUHHgjUDXwN0Q5IDo4PqxB7ES8RlhODFr8agR7wI18mlSepKlMrCjBxMgEyGDpCPd1FfEZxRwZJUUmxS3hRdFMxVUtd8l5FYeJjQ21sb55wUXBScNV2b3cHfll-sH_GgwmHE4nTigaMNo2_kvOTJ5Uul5ebJpyknWOfJ6BDoqOksaaZshmycLMDtAy0OLb3t3W-Or6KwQDBxcrTzerPetQj18_YVNsa2-fdqOUZ5Y7ndOjW6rrrFO4V74jw1fD58uH1S_k3-uv68fv1
This is a very basic tree I whipped up, concentrating on mine damage/utility nodes, life/es hybrid nodes, and evasion coupled with acrobatics/phase. I am still considering whether or not cast speed nodes would be more beneficial to the skill than the elemental damage nodes I picked up, as I haven't seen how the skill scales with these yet.

For my gem setup I am thinking:

Fire Nova -> concentrated effect -> mine/trap damage-> faster casting (reduces the time between the nova's ticks, but I haven't seen how effect it will be), (5L) Crit dmg or fire pen, (6L) empower or something of the sort.

Trap -> cold snap -> multi trap -> power charge on critical
For cc and Pcharge generation (this may not be the best method for Pcharge, still tinkering with this aspect)

Bear Trap -> added Fire -> crit dmg -> trap/mine dmg

my main concerns with this build:
defenses (possibly get eb/MoM, although I like the idea of the hybrid es/life)
Power charge generation
fire dmg talent nodes, or cast speed nodes
should I incorporate burn damage into my build/fire nova setup

any advice is welcome, as long as it is constructive
I'm no expert, but three things stood out at first glance:
1. Acrobatics and Energy Shield don't mix well, as you get a 50% ES penalty from Acrobatics.
2. You don't have enough life nodes (only 71%). You probably thought ES would make up for it, but see point 1 :)
3. For a crit build, you don't have enough crit nodes.

So I would ditch the ES and get some more life + crit nodes:
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABbUGdwceB2MI1A5IEZYRwhvIHvAfWyLqI18j9iT9JpUqCyxGMHEwfDIBMhg2PTpCPL1FfElRS1dLeE2STptQQlFHUzFVS13yX7Bh4mHrYqxknWyMbwhvnnBRcFJw1XNtdwd6U38rhxOIW4nTigaMC4w2jX2Nv4_6lS6bJpu1nKSdqp3ZoEOiLrALshmzA7TFt3W5fLmTwOPBxcLswwnDOspKy73N6s961CPWithU2eDb592o44TnVOjW6_XsGOyw8NXw-fGz8h3z6v_e

There's the mana on kill nodes for mana, although I'm not sure if that's enough to cover the potentially high manacost of Fire Nova.

Such is the vastness of his genius, that he can outwit even himself.
Last edited by Thracite on Jul 15, 2015, 4:42:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info