How do people get 1k+ dps at lvl ~60?

As the title say, how do you lvl 50-60 people get over 1k dps as templars? Im currently lvl 60 and struggling to even break 350dps. I'm in act 3 merciless and damn it takes time to kill stuff.
At first I thought my farm speed was ok, since I can't die to nonchaos dmg mobs. But I started to join public games and realized that I'm too slow. Before my current weapon I had 280 dps, so the new one I got gave me 80 more dps on the character screen. Still, I can't see how people could reach numbers such as 3k dps at my level.

Here is my current build. I tried to make a balanced build with extra surviveability/tankyness.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbDhQUIBRNGF0ZLhnpGjgjTSSLJ-0pLilPMok62D0PPfxANkRyROdG103YUEdQUFcNWGNdxl8_YG1nm2oeajt3YnflfLh8u31TffWBb4KbhMSLjIx2jM-QVZ2AnjyezaIApzCnhKgYtPm2hrndxPbG2MtD0iHUj9lh3fPeweFz5K3sOO0g7w7wH_Iv83Hz3fZI974=

Here are my items, I guess they're the biggest bottle neck as I can't see any major problem with my build.

Also, my current skills are Molten shell, Enfeeble, Armor aura, lightning strike, double strike, healing totem
Last edited by ibex on Feb 11, 2013, 4:39:10 AM
What dps are you looking at? the one on your tooltips or character menu?

I've got 1.4k dps on my lightning strike (a lot more if you count shock stacks and chain) so I can give some tips but I want to know what your main dps move is and what the dps on the tooltip says.

Also take that melee physical dmg support gem and swap it with your portal gem so leap slam can benefit instead of nothing benefiting lol
Last edited by Theredball on Feb 11, 2013, 4:52:08 AM
Are you sure you're not just looking at your auto attack damage?
"
Theredball wrote:
What dps are you looking at? the one on your tooltips or character menu?

I've got 1.4k dps on my lightning strike (a lot more if you count shock stacks and chain) so I can give some tips but I want to know what your main dps move is and what the dps on the tooltip says.

Also take that melee physical dmg support gem and swap it with your portal gem so leap slam can benefit instead of nothing benefiting lol

Yes, when I hit the character screen, and look at defenses it say 350 damage per second (should be an ordinary attack/s).
My LS is currently around 650 dps, though I realize that with more links/support gems it would be a lot higher.

Lightning strike was supposed to be my main attack, but since I'm so weak in offences I reverted to enfeeble big packs of mobs, cast molten shell and tank til it explodes (molten does 2k+ dmg on explosion now).

So currently:

LS = my main aoe dmg source (was supposed to be at least)
Double strike = single target dps, usually used vs rare packs/bosses to stay alive forever
Molten shell = currently my biggest source of aoe dmg, since I can tank anything I just cast molten and w8 for it to explode for 2k dmg

My goal is to find a good chest so I can link Lightning strike according:

Lightning strike - fork - fast attacks - elemental dmg - +physical

*EDIT* How's my weapon, is it a bad one? Paid a GCP and a Chaos orb for it. Bet I got ripped off. ):
Last edited by ibex on Feb 11, 2013, 5:02:33 AM
When people talk about their DPS they generally are referring to a single attack. 650 dps is low but if you were running some dps auras and got some better gear you'll break 1k no problem.

You'll definitely need to invest in some better gear for act iii merciless but besides that you're probably ok

Weapons not bad, you'd probably be better off with a scepter or something with +lightning damage % or weapon elemental damage

this is what i'm using, stats are alright

Last edited by Theredball on Feb 11, 2013, 5:04:40 AM
"
Are you sure you're not just looking at your auto attack damage?

Yeah, I was looking at the auto attack dps. Though My LS is still just 650 dps which is pathetic compared to every other templar at my current lvl. :(
"
Theredball wrote:
When people talk about their DPS they generally are referring to a single attack. 650 dps is low but if you were running some dps auras and got some better gear you'll break 1k no problem.

You'll definitely need to invest in some better gear for act iii merciless but besides that you're probably ok

So the gear is the bottle neck? What About my skill build, is it ok, or have a f'd up?
My goal was to get enough tankyness while still being able to dish out dmg.
Im not meele, I play a Lightning Arrow Bowplar at lvl 55 in Act 3 cruel. These are my stats & skills:

AOE damage: With my LA I got only ~400 tooltip dps, but to this adds chain, LMP, 30% shockstacks and pierce, aswell as my auras: Wrath, Anger. Plus I use Spell Totem + Summon Skelletons + Minion Life + Minion Instability. Plus Raise Spectre + Minion Damage. On top of shit I cast either conductivity, or projectile weakness. This gives me a nice meatshield and 6 exploding skelletons make quiete some damage aswell.

Single targed damage: For single targets I use Burning Arrow, which makes around 1200 dps. Plus Flammability which give another ~35% more dps. And when the skelletons explode they deal firedmg aswell and ignite the target sometimes.

passives: a lot of my damage comes from the +elemental damage passives. I tried to get as many of them as I could. there quiete a few around the templar tree, which makes ele dmg for templars very attractive imo. I tried to get +ele dmg and single elemental damage attributes (like +90 lightning dmg on my weapon) aswell. these +ele dmg passives also work together with wrath and anger.

next thing for me is to get more mana, more ES (im using EB) to run even more auras. plus more life of course. once I get a good high lvl bow with much +lightning dmg I can do 2-4k dps I think. hopefully enouth for merciless :D

thinkin abour getting either 2 spectres or dual spell/skelleton totem... hmm
Hey, guys, so I see that my dps could increase a lot in the lightning strike if I could find the right linked chest.

So the next question is, how about my build? Is it ok for a tanky character or should I redo my templar?

Your build is fine, you played it very safe but that's a good thing. You have plenty of +life nodes, you're lacking a bit in dps nodes but you can do acceptable dps without too much.

Get a nice linked item and have your lightning strike linked to fork, weapon elemental, and faster attacks and more if you can get a 5 or 6l. Try to run at least one damage aura if you can. This will put you at about 1k dps on it.

After that just keep working on getting better damage on your gears without losing defenses.

here's my build if you want to check out what i'm running.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVuLjOFz7SBG113G3fNgbbaGfVPyzsy31XWCmylP7Dg62C3Snz5N2Ix2njyBbwSzMol35VfiFE3wH6IAGjinhJBVwBpmnnFNms9DY7cxWPWdxKmVUWD60jbp42okqhmFHRRMNSjF876PRtDQ_c_PZVXGFm-boWe97m_316yYFLAA_RdQTC2CHsHz8XbbC6cI2t0VULiTEdszdpI4DH0Qf8aezfp8g2KsoW3WnQ==

we had the same goals and use just about the same skill set. I picked up EB though, it gives me less survivability than you but it let's be run a few auras and not worry about mana.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info