Let's Talk Ice Shot

I've been messing around with this skill, and WOW holy fk. Why aren't more people using Ice Shot?

I am getting ridiculous amounts of cold on this skill. I was using it as single target, but found that it had very good AOE even without Pierce or LMP.

Freeze is the best mechanic in the game and this skill I think is probably one of the best at inflicting freeze with this high amount of cold. Even better than glacial hammer because you are freezing from range.

I am leveling my Scion - she is on 3.3k hp lol but I could do Palace and Courtyard bosses safely because of the freeze.

With Taste of Hate the amount of cold damage is retarded.

I added Physical to Lightning gem as well, and it is giving me insane amounts of lightning damage and high duration shocks. I had to run with the Berek ring because I only have 10% phys damage left, but with Phys to Light I get more lightning damage per hit than anything I have ever seen before.

Yes mana cost is a little high, but even with a slow mana flask you can sustain continuous Ice Shot attacks.

I keep separate AOE with Split Arrow and PCOC - you can put Curse on Hit + Ele Weakness / Temporal Chains on this setup too. Chill + temporal chains is a crazy combination.

I tried using Point Blank gem too for bosses -> it works incredibly well because they are frozen anyway so I can "shotgun" them up-close.

Ice Shot has been buffed in beta so it now gives increased cold damage with quality.

Also the Ranger tree in beta now has several cold damage and freeze nodes. Like Flash Freeze and Fangs of Frost, also there is Snowforged by Shadow if you are going for more crit multiplier up there.

With the changes to status effects I think Ice Shot (+ Phys to Light if you can sustain) is one of the most potent combos.

I also think Ice Shot is the best looking arrow skill in the game.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jun 22, 2015, 8:05:07 AM
can u post your gear and passive tree?
because i used to play ice shot and can't imagine ice shot without pierce
I thought status affects were getting nerfed significantly, i played ice shot from 92-93 with life leech as 6th link (using glyph mark) 75000+ dps but i noticed it was much safer then tornado shot. I think the cone of ice can be evaded in 2.0 and cant be evaded now so life leech was a must because of reflect. Bereks grip is good with a 320pdps harb i had about 50000 using wed as 6th link could just survive reflect.
Well I cannot play PoE anymore but I was using Glyph Mark and getting cold damage per hit range of 7k-12k fully buffed.

I also had prolif on HoA, and combined with the cone this gave me enough AOE.

So with new changes to status effects, ice shot with phys to light should have the easiest time inflicting shock and freeze on bosses.

Total dps I was getting about 170k solo I think. 220k in parties.

Ofc there is no way to survive reflect with this build, but was still fun.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jul 9, 2015, 4:07:10 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
I've been messing around with this skill, and WOW holy fk. Why aren't more people using Ice Shot?

I am getting ridiculous amounts of cold on this skill. I was using it as single target, but found that it had very good AOE even without Pierce or LMP.

Freeze is the best mechanic in the game and this skill I think is probably one of the best at inflicting freeze with this high amount of cold. Even better than glacial hammer because you are freezing from range.

I am leveling my Scion - she is on 3.3k hp lol but I could do Palace and Courtyard bosses safely because of the freeze.

With Taste of Hate the amount of cold damage is retarded.

I added Physical to Lightning gem as well, and it is giving me insane amounts of lightning damage and high duration shocks. I had to run with the Berek ring because I only have 10% phys damage left, but with Phys to Light I get more lightning damage per hit than anything I have ever seen before.

Yes mana cost is a little high, but even with a slow mana flask you can sustain continuous Ice Shot attacks.

I keep separate AOE with Split Arrow and PCOC - you can put Curse on Hit + Ele Weakness / Temporal Chains on this setup too. Chill + temporal chains is a crazy combination.

I tried using Point Blank gem too for bosses -> it works incredibly well because they are frozen anyway so I can "shotgun" them up-close.

Ice Shot has been buffed in beta so it now gives increased cold damage with quality.

Also the Ranger tree in beta now has several cold damage and freeze nodes. Like Flash Freeze and Fangs of Frost, also there is Snowforged by Shadow if you are going for more crit multiplier up there.

With the changes to status effects I think Ice Shot (+ Phys to Light if you can sustain) is one of the most potent combos.

I also think Ice Shot is the best looking arrow skill in the game.

I hate the way chilled gtround looks , it's ugly to the point where I i'll never play Iceshot or use AA .
R.I.P 4.B.
lots of people do use ice shot actually, but more so geared with three dragons to get some crazy burn.

i don't use it right now because burning arrow gives more damage per hit which gives me higher overkill damage for my primarily focused HoA prolif burn. but as far as im aware in the beta (haven't played it) prolif is being changed and whatnot, no?

i'll take a closer look at ice shot starting tomorrow, but i also don't like the idea of not having 100% elemental damage, since i have so many variables that boost my elemental damage set in my build and gear.

i do agree its the best looking bow skill in the game, but lightning arrow has the best sound by far and large.
anyway, to give you an idea of what i've achieved vs your own numbers. with burning arrow as my buffed up one shot damage dealer in order to generate the most overkill damage (again for HoA burn), my damage is up to 8,120-18,830 per hit (crit is 424% multi), and on top of that a whopping 86% penetration to fire dmg (4,958-10,593).

all done with this bow. its quite good, but still nowhere near glyph mark

i can't wait for the patch. im going to attempt my character build again and see how well it goes, but i also have some other rangers set up to test other setups, melee, ice shot, other things.
I agree that BA has the highest damage, but that freeze tho...

I actually love the chilled ground - combine with temp chains CWDT and you get massive slows.

Ele prolif has been changed to give 30% less damage I think.

Anyway, good to hear people are using ice shot. I was leveling my Scion on rotations and dailies and every bow build I saw was using tornado shot.
i'd really like to use ice shot - i want to see if i can make it work. but honestly, i've yet to see anything come close to the damage output you can get from HoA (except crazy shit like shatterchuck).
i don't think 30% less damage will effect much in the least actually.

still planning to roll my HoA build but will be doing a lot of figuring with new uniques and such for an ice shot plan.
i did try just to sub in ice shot over burning arrow, and the prolif seems to proc as often (since you need something need by to proc it anyway), so the shatter effect doesn't really hurt too bad - but i still did the least amount of damage as cold damage. having added fire and phys to lightning to convert almost all dmg to elemental, cold dmg was still super low.

not sure you can make a normal ice shot build as good as the three dragons prolif burn build. have you seen that one? its what made ice shot a thing again. you don't hold the freeze, but eh when things die that frickin fast you don't need much freeze.

i got lvl 77 temple map on a zana quest yesterday, walked into the boss area, shot the mobs and never even seen piety. she died instantly.
ice shot freeze would help drastically against everything defensively though, if needed, if you can constantly proc its freeze via crit or w/e. maybe a windripper version? actually no. you'd get more dps from converting physical dmg, and windripper atk spd is too high for ice shots mana cost

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info