Login Error There has been a patch that you need steam/GGG

I played POE a while back and came back to play with some friends. I tried to login via steam but started getting the following error:

Login Error
There has been a patch that you need to update to. Please restart path of exile.

in the bottom left corner it says:
An unexpected disconnection occurred.

in the bottom right it says
release tags/1.3.1h

Each time I try to restart program (even restarting pc) it takes an extremely long time to load (2 to 5 min) and won't let me alt/tab to other windows (unless i use cntrl/alt/delete to pull up task manager).

This is what I've done so far according to the Forum posts on the subject:

-I uninstalled/reinstalled (steam and GGG)

-Run as administrator (even the actual pathofexile.exe in the GGG folder)

-Added exception to Firewall

-turned off virus software

-Tried deleting the HashCache.dat file

-Used the Verified and checkpack (both where fine)

Currently I'm trying to use the direct download from the pathofexile webpage. I do NOT have an account with the webpage, I connect via the Steam client, BUT just today I wrote to request to have my email added so my account will be accessible to either (or I assume that's what is going to happen). [removed by Support]

Is there anything else you suggest I try?
Last edited by Brian_GGG on May 26, 2015, 9:04:04 PM
Never post login details (email address) to a public forum (edit it out please).

It opens you up to targeting and attacks.

Steam should auto-update properly, but with the stand-alone, make sure you don't have any parameters on your shortcut target like --nopatch.

Also double check your settings in antivirus/firewall/security software and make sure you're running as administrator.

I'd recommend you disable that stuff as well if you can.

Do you have a .tmp file in your path of exile folder?
Last edited by Drakier on May 26, 2015, 9:03:43 PM
Im using stand alone (i deleted the steam version to avoid any conflicts) and No there is no TMP file.

OPPS my mistake about the email, not sure how to edit it out, says you removed it though.

this is the shortcut to poe: "C:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\"

I've also tried running both the shortcut and pathofexile.exe (in the GGG folder) as admin.

Just yesterday I added POE as an exception to the firewall and I tried running the game with the virus software turned off.

What else would you like me to try?
There should be more to the shortcut than that for the Target field... should end with PathOfExile.exe and then possibly more stuff (but unlikely unless you added it yourself).

Try downloading this file to your Path of Exile folder replacing the one already there.

See if that fixes it temporarily for you.
I replaced the exe in the GGG folder, and ran as admin, Still the same problem.
Can you post a screenshot of what you're getting?

I gave you the exact exe, so the only problem would be patching the content file.

Are you on a managed network or something?
Home PC, I'm only one on it.

I had coppied the wrong target link for the short cut: "C:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe"

CAN YOU post a reply on how to put the no patch parameter on shortcut? Ill try to copy and paste it to see if that works?

For some reason i cant print screen to save the picture (it literally copies the desktop and ignores the login screen for PoE) and when I try using the snipping tool it goes to desktop so I cant copy the error message as you ask However it says exactly this:

Login Error
There has been a patch that you need to update to. Please restart path of exile.

a lot of the Login Error posts on your site post the same error message/picture here's an example:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/258865

the exception is in the bottom right corner My screen says: release tags/1.3.1h

Also I just got a new error message and was able to take pictures of these as it wasn't on the PoE Login screen
Here's an image of the new errors:

http://i.imgur.com/q6G8Rrb.jpg

and

http://i.imgur.com/ORWU7Kj.jpg

What else can I Do?

So you can try to rename the content.ggpk file to anything else, but your running out of RAM.

How much RAM do you have, and are you on a 32-bit os?

Can you paste a dxdiag.exe export either in a spoiler tag or a pastebin link?
here is the dxdiag file as requested

<script src="http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=JvL17vXj"></script>

Also what did you want me to do with that other file, the content.ggpk?

I think I have 2gigs ram and 32bit I believe, but you can double check in the dxdiag i guess. I've played skyrim and gw2 with this pc as well.

CAN YOU post a reply on how to put the no patch parameter on shortcut? Ill try to copy and paste it to see if it works w/o patching???

this is the current shortcut: "C:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe"
OK.. so you do only have 2gb of RAM which isn't really enough for poe anymore.

It likely won't run well even if you are able to update it honestly.

As for the content.ggpk file, just rename it and it will try to download a new one.

I'm also not going to tell you how to add the nopatch because you SHOULDN'T be using it. I was asking about it before to ensure you weren't using it.

Hopefully a new content file will work, but your machine is just on the very low end of requirements, let alone the recommendations for playing this game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info