Mystery with master crafting

So, I understand basics with master crafting, however, there are some wands out there which have third crafted spell damage modifier. How is that possible?

I bought this one wanting therefore to put spell damage

but apparently, it cannot have it, although it has 2 prefixes.

So how can this one have it?

Kraken Needle Prophecy Wand

Level: 68 Intelligence: 245

17% increased Spell Damage
13% increased Spell Damage
Adds 24-43 Cold Damage
8% increased Attack Speed
19% increased Cast Speed
+11 to maximum Mana
41% increased Spell Damage

Cold damage is a prefix, mana also, as is spell damage. Obviously I am missing something, but after googling, and investigating master crafting, I really don't know what it could be.
there are 2 spell damage rolls possible

1. spell damage

2. spell damage + mana hybrid

the hybrid spell damage + mana comes in smaller values than full spell damage. You can only bench the full one, and if the full one exists already then you cant bench it on. If you have just the hybrid spell damage roll though u can then master the full spell damage.

example...

this wand only has 2 affixes, it had spell damage + mana hybrid prefix and I regaled cast speed suffix, I can still roll full spell damage on it. Thats a pretty high roll for hybrid spell damage, the main spell damage can roll up to the early 70s somewhere.

edit:

this site may be of interest to you

http://www.poemods.com/index.php?item_type=wand

here you can see all the prefixes and suffixes for each item, what values they can roll, what ilevel is required to get the different brackets etc.
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on May 23, 2015, 1:33:31 PM
First of all, I know of poe mods.

Second of all, what is the dividing line between hybrid and full spell damage numerically then? I'll conclude it's somewhere inbetween 29 and 36, as yours can roll it and mine can't.

If I understood it right, that is the way I can differentiate between those. Because mana comes as its own prefix, so I can' conclude it's a hybrid based on a presence of a mana affix.
Last edited by Tank_The_Shredder_Evans on May 23, 2015, 1:43:11 PM
theres no dividing line, its 2 completely different stats, if u look on poe mods there is..

Spell Dmg +%

iLvl: 2: 10 to 19 (Apprentice's)
iLvl: 11: 20 to 29 (Adept's)
iLvl: 23: 30 to 39 (Scholar's)
iLvl: 35: 40 to 49 (Professor's)
iLvl: 46: 50 to 59 (Occultist's)
iLvl: 58: 60 to 69 (Incanter's)
iLvl: 79: 70 to 74 (Glyphic's)

and

Spell Dmg +% / Base Max Mana

iLvl: 2: 5 to 9 / 8 to 10 (Caster's)
iLvl: 11: 10 to 14 / 11 to 13 (Magician's)
iLvl: 23: 15 to 19 / 14 to 16 (Wizard's)
iLvl: 35: 20 to 24 / 17 to 19 (Warlock's)
iLvl: 46: 25 to 29 / 20 to 22 (Mage's)
iLvl: 58: 30 to 34 / 23 to 25 (Archmage's)

so your wand has Scholar's which is 30-39 spell damage, mine has Mage's which is 25-29 spell damage + 20-22 mana. The wand you gave a description of has Magician's hybrid roll, which means it can still roll the full spell damage stat. The bench is the full spell damage with no mana, so if you already have that its blocked off, where if you have the hybrid one the main spell damage is still possible. theyre entirely different stats just like cold damage and fire damage are different and can both exist on the same weapon, but if just cold damage already exists you cant bench another cold damage, you can bench fire damage tho.

this has both, when they both roll together they add together, in theory with a top roll of hybrid and full spell damages you can get 108% spell damage on a wand, and it would come with 23-25 mana.

It can hard to be entirely sure if a roll is hybrid spell damage + mana or just a lower spell damage and a lower mana roll that are 2 seperate stats just to look. The brackets are quite tight tho, so if you have say 22 spell damage showing on a wand, that could be warlock's hybrid or adept's full spell damage, if its warlocks though the mana roll would have to be 17-19, if it was 22 mana, then you know it cant be warlock's and it must be adept's with a separate 22 mana roll.

The same issue pops up with physical damage weapons, theres % physical, and then theres % physical + accuracy hybrid, it can be hard to tell if you have 2 seperate rolls of % phys and accuracy, or if you have 1 roll of % phys + accuracy hybrid.
Yo man, thanks for patience, I got it know.

But it is quite confusing.

"
It can hard to be entirely sure if a roll is hybrid spell damage + mana or just a lower spell damage and a lower mana roll that are 2 seperate stats just to look.

That was the core of my second question to you which you have answered now.

Basically, the whole system is very counterintuitive for beginners, and experienced players alike.

GGG should really work on making the rules of the system accessible to everyone without needing to investigating the damn thing online and bothering other people.

Make the hybrid in different name, color, separate it visually... Anything really.

Same goes with increased/more multipliers. Although I know the difference now, I lost a lot of money as a noob thinking I am getting more instead of "increased".

How is the new player supposed to know that the game makes new meaning for the word "increased"? When you think of the word increased, you automatically think "ok, I have this much dps in my possession, I guess I'll increase it now"

If someone from GGG is reading this - I have a simple suggestion, which should not be hard to implement - please put more advices and game informations in loading screens which explain commonly misunderstood things. Sort of FAQ on demand.

WOuld help a lot, and I'll presume that all it takes to implement it is copy/paste into the command.
BTW, that's some sick Scepter right there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info