Couple questions about item and skill mechanics

Does projectile speed on wands affect skills [IE incinerate], or just the wand itself? If it does affect skills, is it global, or does it only affect skills currently socketed in the wand?

When an item adds flat elemental damage, does that affect skills as well? For example, if a ring adds 10-20 fire damage, will that increase my incinerate's DPS or only my wand attack?

Lastly, is there any clear cut answer to which is better: dual wielding wands or wand and shield?
Last edited by GrizzlyMint on May 23, 2015, 2:37:03 AM
"
GrizzlyMint wrote:
Does projectile speed on wands affect skills [IE incinerate], or just the wand itself? If it does affect skills, is it global, or does it only affect skills currently socketed in the wand?

its global, will effect all projectile skills that can be effected by projectile speed.

"
GrizzlyMint wrote:

When an item adds flat elemental damage, does that affect skills as well? For example, if a ring adds 10-20 fire damage, will that increase my incinerate's DPS or only my wand attack?

only the wand attack, wont do anyting for spells.

"
GrizzlyMint wrote:

Lastly, is there any clear cut answer to which is better: dual wielding wands or wand and shield?

no clear cut answer, situational, depends what you want.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
GrizzlyMint wrote:

no clear cut answer, situational, depends what you want.
I would add that having a shield is generally preferable, but it is by no means clear cut. In particular, certain unique caster weapons (e.g. Void Battery, Apep's Rage, Doryani's Catalyst) are very commonly dual-wielded.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Thank you guys for the answers. They really helped clear things up.

As for shield vs dual wield wand, can you give me some pros and cons of each type of build? So far it seems dual wield wands gives more dps thanks to a higher max spell damage, as well as added cast speed and projectile speed, while shields can give some dps due to spell damage, as well as life and resists.
more defensive = shield

more offensive = dual wield

pretty straight forward...
ya its just offense vs defense. You can get more spell damage from 2 wands, tho not much more, pretty high spell damage can be rolled on shields. As viper says, its more often used when people are stacking some sort of wand/sceptre benefit. He mentioned some unique caster weapons that you might want to double up on, some examples

you can master craft a small amount of cast speed on a shield now, but a build looking to stack something like cast speed into outer space might want to go dual wield with rare weapons and theres a cast speed when dual wielding node circle in the tree too. Stacking projectile speed, elemental leech, spell crit with dual kriss knives. again, as viper says, in practice it tends to be more of a niche thing, spell shields can provide decent spell damage with a number of defensive stats that make them a strong option. But dont let that put you off dual wielding if its what you want to do, its perfectly viable and can be optimal if it suits your goal.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info