Why Cyclone Is Mechanically Superior

Firstly a disclaimer: this is not a "nerf Cyclone" thread.

I have made several melee characters and I always seem to revert back to Cyclone.
Why? It is purely because the mechanics of the skill are by far superior to most other skills/setups, the fact that I do not have to specifically target an enemy to disperse some damage. This especially gets tedious with setups that utilize Melee Splash in that you must name lock each individual target and the hit must connect.

I would love to make a Viper Strike build but I just cannot justify it with how the targeting currently works.

Here is an example of how it currently works: upon clicking the point on the screen (red dot), the character proceeds to walk (yellow line) and swing at an empty space (green circle).
Spoiler

Here is how I think it should work: upon clicking the point on the screen (red dot), the character proceeds to walk (yellow line) until it encounters an enemy and then swings (green circle).
Spoiler

And if I were to hold the mouse button instead of a single click: the character would continue on its path.
Spoiler

I would really love to know what people think.
Well sure, it's strong, particularly since it lets you move while attacking.

That said, Reave is a strong choice since it's got in-built AOE and single-target and can scale off Concentrated Effect, which is getting buffed to a "less" multiplier instead of a decrease in AOE. Because it's so difficult to stack AOE in the first place, the less multiplier to AOE is actually preferable. The skill makes Melee Splash look silly.

Ground Slam lends itself well to stunning builds and is ranged to boot. So you can keep your distance from things if safety is the concern here. Chain-stunning works best off of reduced threshold instead of duration. So you can make yourself a build that can stun lock packs from a distance.

Lightning Strike has pierce chance for quality, which is all that needs to be said.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on May 22, 2015, 9:00:32 PM
Yeah, that's "Diablo 3-style targeting", and usually people who suggest it are lampooned as casual scrubs who want to destroy the hardcore fabric of this game by removing all skill.

Though it has been a while since I have seen this suggestion, so it might only be one or two asshats this time. You know who you are.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
DeviantLightning, yes I was going to mention Ground Slam and Reave, they are both mechanically exceptional especially now that Reave stacks don't disappear. The issue for me isn't necessarily the range of the AOE, it's the way it acquires the targets.

Gilrad, I agree that we don't want to simplify things to a point where they are too easy by no means (D3 lol). The point I would like to put across is that melee (unless Reave, GS, Cyclone and even the new Ice Smash) can become very tedious for any other type of build and I think this is mainly due to the fact on how the targeting system works. My suggestion is of course not the be all end all answer, but with something like this in place perhaps we will see more people making creative builds with say Viper Strike or Heavy Strike etc.
cyclone is strong by nature. Attacking while moving away from damage. whirlwind was the only attack based skill you used in D2. Atleast we have other options, even if they have their weaknesses. If you prefer cyclone (whirlwind) to other skills, just use cyclone if it's what you like, don't change a core targeting mechanic of the game over it.
Meta = cattle

-ty men
Last edited by I0wa on May 22, 2015, 9:50:03 PM
I agree I0wa, Cyclone is strong. The "other options" should really not be limited by a core targeting mechanic but instead by your gearing, play style and skill tree.

Entertain my idea for a minute... Say my suggestion was implemented, how would the melee culture look then? Would people be pissed off that this is "too easy"? Or would they be encouraged to try out that unique different build?
On my Facebreaker char I actually get too tired of clicking on the mobs. So instead I just right-click on the ground near the mobs instead of left-clicking on the mobs. Since it has multistrike, it's bound to hit the mobs. This is also a good anti-desync measure because sometimes the mobs coming at you aren't really there, and if you click on them, you'd desync.
My summoner guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1765329
My shop thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1748967
Last edited by Kaz2ndChance on May 22, 2015, 10:09:25 PM
What I'm saying is your suggestion is exactly the way targeting works in Diablo 3 (assuming you click on an initial enemy to begin with). Most people will get on their high horse if you mentoin D3 in these forums though (I happen to agree that your suggestion is a good idea).
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
My apologies, I haven't played D3 since a week after release. Thanks for clarifying.
I play a static strike char full time, so I guess I'm just used it it. I shift click mostly and let multistrike target, I rarely namelock enemies. Same with zeal in d2.
Meta = cattle

-ty men
Last edited by I0wa on May 22, 2015, 11:25:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info