The "Thank you" inflation

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'm originally from Detroit. In Detroit no one gives a fuck about conventions such as these. If you thank someone over nothing they'll view it as insincere. If you playfully call a friend a motherfucker it can come off as charming.

And look where that got Detroit. aka American Falluja.

Logical fallacies:
False cause and genetic.

The former because the culture is a product of Detroit being fucked up, not the cause of it.
Secondly, the mannerisms aren't themselves at fault because Detroit is at fault.
Thirdly, you don't care about politeness anyway.

That's all besides Scrotie's point anyway, which is that GGG is better of erring on the side of politeness anyway.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on May 22, 2015, 10:15:47 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
Can you link some of these incincere thank yous? I have no idea what you're talking about. I'd much prefer a 'Thanks for letting us know' to silence. When there is silence, people keep bumping threads because they don't think anybody read it.

I could but that would be singling out mods and I don't want to do that. I've noticed that the majority of the mods' comments are not like I described in the OP, so I think it was just coincidence and a bit of paranoia on my part. Paranoia because I find it so bloody awful. To say something like "Thank you for contacting us." when someone comes around with a complaint. I find it so insincere, and with the guideline and forum overhaul I was afraid that is supposed to be the new policy.
"
Jojas wrote:

I could but that would be singling out mods and I don't want to do that. I've noticed that the majority of the mods' comments are not like I described in the OP, so I think it was just coincidence and a bit of paranoia on my part. Paranoia because I find it so bloody awful. To say something like "Thank you for contacting us." when someone comes around with a complaint. I find it so insincere, and with the guideline and forum overhaul I was afraid that is supposed to be the new policy.

Well, probably you never ran a business on your own, and never had a position of responsibilty in a company.

A smart company is ALWAYS thankful for customers who take the burden to talk about problems instead of giving a shit in the company and just staying away, spending their money on a competitor whom they regard to be better.

I agree, there is companies, who say "Thank you" but think "fuck you". Very active in the F2P market. Take as much money as they can, give a shit in these stubborn addicts who play 10 hours a day and just open a new shitty game after they´ve lost their "whales" because of disdainfulness.

GGG is different. They live from exactly this game, and you feel it everytime you talk to support or to the devs that they do care about their players. Support gives you feedback within shortest time wether its night or day in NZ and in serious cases they lead you to Chris himself. Never ever I have experienced this in another games company.

I would be highly disturbed, if the famous " Thank you for bringing this problem...." would stop one day !

Thank you GGG, I do appreciate your way to deal with us, and I fully understand that not every problem can be solved within one hour. :)

Personally, I'd prefer a slightly cookie cutter response to a piece of feedback or bug I found over no response at all. I don't think anyone would argue against a long and detailed response being better. But I'm betting that isn't really practical. There is the question of how much information about a subject you want to release over and over again. I'm betting concerns about giving specific status on certain things that can change from day to day can seem misleading to people who don't know a lot about how internal development changes behind the scenes.

I agree that fake or condescending politeness is offputting, but I don't think that is what we are seeing. I see it as more of a shorthand politeness acknowledging feedback / information rather than quietly reading it and not even taking the time to respond, which would come of as rude, or worse ignoring the feedback / information.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
@Moonlight33: You seem to not have read read/understood what I wrote since you basically say the same thing I did. A few years back I did, by the way, run a business of my own, with two friends that is.

@MaxTheLimit: I would agree that under certain circumstances any reasonably polite response might be better than none at all. My problem - which I think was an imaginary one - was with what you wrote in your second paragraph. But that's just a personal thing.
I know from experience that many people don't like it just as I don't, and many other people don't bother, and only a very few feel slighted when a certain "standard" is not being held up. But this standard - that's how I see it - does not come from good business practice, it's a consequence of monopolization. The aim is not so much to leave a customer satisfied or to give him the feeling that he is being taken seriously, but to provide as few people as possible with a target of attack (because that could lead to bad press), and of course to save money by doing as much as possible by way of form letters.

I have nothing at all against being polite. I like being polite, and I like polite people. But I despise it when people are being polite indiscriminately. Again, I don't think that's the case with GGG.
Last edited by Jojas on May 26, 2015, 4:59:30 PM
The increase in addressing the community in a more polite fashion was likely made with the goal of providing a better level of customer service in an already amazing team for the industry.

Now there are people complaining about it. If anything, this is what will make GGG become the much feared standardised company like any other: the realisation than when they attempt to improve, people still complain.

You're complaining that a company was too polite. It is their job to do this in a meaningful and honest way. This reminds me of people complaining that the beaches on their holiday had too much sand.

If you want to be treated like people in your home town, play a game made and exclusive to your home town.
Stay a while and listen!
Last edited by RhoaBoat on May 26, 2015, 5:12:58 PM
"
The increase in addressing the community in a more polite fashion was likely made with the goal of providing a better level of customer service in an already amazing team for the industry.

Now there are people complaining about it. If anything, this is what will make GGG become the much feared standardised company like any other: the realisation than when they attempt to improve, people still complain.

You're complaining that a company was too polite. It is their job to do this in a meaningful and honest way. This reminds me of people complaining that the beaches on their holiday had too much sand.

If you want to be treated like people in your home town, play a game made and exclusive to your home town.

I am not complaining that they are too polite. If you don't get what I mean, don't worry, it's not a big deal and based on false premises anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info