The "Thank you" inflation

I have noticed an increased amount of "Thank you"'s from moderators whenever someone comes up with an issue that bothers him, as in "Thank you for bringing this to our attention", even when there is no real reason for a "Thank you".

Not sure if this is just coincidence, but if it isn't: Please don't do that. Please don't go all "professional" and anonymous and shit. Nobody likes that. Nobody believes it when companies do that.

I used to work in a hotel. There we were required to answer phone calls with an "How can I help you?" after the friendly greeting and the thorough introduction, and were required to ask "Is there anything else I can help you with?" before the end of the call. Nobody ever gave a shit, not the guests, not us employees. We were a good team and able to convey our dedication to what we did without these standards the company tried to force upon us. And the guests loved us for that. You wouldn't believe how often we heard from a guest how happy he is not to have to deal with a smiling robot.

I suppose it lightens the workload and the stress somewhat, as in the more detached you get the less it can affect you. And it's good to be able to fall back on a standard when things get hairy.
But the job also becomes more of a chore. Routine overrides everything once you let a routine do the work for you. You won't go home as often anymore saying "What a shit day.", but you will get home much more often, saying "And another boring day, and I need a different job."

I can imagine it's very tempting for various reasons to do it like the big boys do it, not the least of them being that it is how the big boys do it. But nobody likes the big boys. Nobody likes being a cog in the big boys' wheels. So please don't go there. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Last edited by Jojas on May 21, 2015, 2:37:58 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Jojas wrote:
I have noticed an increased amount of "Thank you"'s from moderators whenever someone comes up with an issue that bothers him, as in "Thank you for bringing this to our attention", even when there is no real reason for a "Thank you".

Not sure if this is just coincidence, but if it isn't: Please don't do that. Please don't go all "professional" and anonymous and shit. Nobody likes that. Nobody believes it when companies do that.

I used to work in a hotel. There we were required to answer phone calls with an "How can I help you?" after the friendly greeting and the thorough introduction, and were required to ask "Is there anything else I can help you with?" before the end of the call. Nobody ever gave a shit, not the guests, not us employees. We were a good team and able to convey our dedication to what we did without these standards the company tried to force upon us. And the guests loved us for that. You wouldn't believe how often we heard from a guest how happy he is not to have to deal with a smiling robot.

I suppose it lightens the workload and the stress somewhat, as in the more detached you get the less it can affect you. And it's good to be able to fall back on a standard when things get hairy.
But the job also becomes more of a chore. Routine overrides everything once you let a routine do the work for you. You won't go home as often anymore saying "What a shit day.", but you will get home much more often, saying "And another boring day, and I need a different job."

I can imagine it's very tempting for various reasons to do it like the big boys do it, not the least of them being that it is how the big boys do it. But nobody likes the big boys. Nobody likes being a cog in the big boys' wheels. So please don't go there. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

wow its called courtesy and how you dont know they are not thankful? Maybe was issue they didnt know about or issue they did know about and can now address because players are bothered too. I've been directly involved in business since 13 being my uncle owns a major construction firm and can say with 100% confidence success is most about relationships you build and being an asshole doesn't build them. I can be a big time asshole i work with some rough mofos after all but doesn't serve my best interest so I dont professionally.

There is also leadership factor. Lead by example. Maybe they want a nicer overall tone in forums.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 21, 2015, 3:07:31 AM
I'm originally from Detroit. In Detroit no one gives a fuck about conventions such as these. If you thank someone over nothing they'll view it as insincere. If you playfully call a friend a motherfucker it can come off as charming.

Then I moved to Texas. In Texas, if you don't call men sir and women ma'am, you are being noticeably rude. And if you playfully call a friend a motherfucker, they will drop all civility and diligently attempt to kick your ass.

So I get you, OP. I really do. But no.

Also, now curious where you hail from.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 21, 2015, 3:10:27 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

wow its called courtesy and how you dont know they are not thankful? Maybe was issue they didnt know about or issue they did know about and can now address because players are bothered too. I've been directly involved in business in 13 being my uncle owns a major construction firm and can say with 100% confidence success is most about relationships you build and being an asshole doesn't build them. I can be a big time asshole i work with some rough mofos after all but doesn't serve my best interest so I dont professionally.

I'm not saying never to say thank you, just to keep it to those instances where it's appropriate. Because if you do it willy-nilly it loses all effect, but if you don't, it really gets appreciated.

It's not such a big deal, but I think it would be a shame to see the more personal approach become replaced by corporate anonymity.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'm originally from Detroit. In Detroit no one gives a fuck about conventions such as these. If you thank someone over nothing they'll view it as insincere. If you playfully call a friend a motherfucker it can come off as charming.

And look where that got Detroit. aka American Falluja.
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

And look where that got Detroit. aka American Falluja.

And things you hear from Texas makes any sane man drop his jaw. :)
When I got to Texas, I said, wow, I like this place. My Army buddies said I was mentally ill. After much discussion we agreed my only bases for comparison were Detroit and Afghanistan.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
When I got to Texas, I said, wow, I like this place. My Army buddies said I was mentally ill. After much discussion we agreed my only bases for comparison were Detroit and Afghanistan.

Oh, boy. :D
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Then I moved to Texas. In Texas, if you don't call men sir and women ma'am, you are being noticeably rude.

It's necessary, I imagine, extra level of politeness is there to cover for the specks of tobacco juice on people that got too close.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
I agree with the OP.
But then I live in Germany, where excessive courtesy is seen as insencere.
May your maps be bountiful, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info